bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Elliott Smith
Elliott Smith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 18:43    Post subject: Elliott Smith Reply with quote

Can't believe how difficult it is to find his records here in Finland...! I heard one of his songs on radio around the time he died and I liked that song. The strange thing is that I've now forgotten what the song was, it might have been 'Son of Sam', because it's absolutely marvellous. I installed WinMX once only to download something by Elliott Smith (I don't like WinMx or any of those, they're just full of shite, so I don't want to use it anymore) and I found 'Son of Sam' and 'Division Day' and some other songs. I liked them too, so I decided to buy one of his albums as soon as I find one. I'm a bit of a collector, I suppose.
However, my long search ended yesterday, when I bumped into some Elliott Smith stuff in a tiny record shop in Turku. I found not only one, but three of his albums. "XO", "Figure 8" and some older one, can't remember its name anymore. They were all quite expensive and I only had enough money to buy one of them. I decided to buy "Figure 8" because the album cover looks funnier.
Well, it might have been a little pricey, but damn was it worth the money! (yes it was) I could quote Kinkster and Ronald McDonald here by saying that I'm lovin' it. I think I'm going back to the same record shop next week and buy another album my Elliott Smith.
Oh, and if someone here has his albums, where can I find the song 'Division Day'? It wasn't on any of those.

Exclamation
joeloke22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 20:19    Post subject: "Division Day" Reply with quote

Wink http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004NRXP/qid=1096051889/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/002-7247969-6300844?v=glance&s=music
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 05:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I bought the album "XO" on Monday.
It's not bad but in my opinion not as good "Figure 8", the songs aren't as exciting as they could/should be.
Still one more Elliott Smith album left in that record shop... One of the early ones I believe. Maybe I'll buy it next Monday.
When's the new album coming out, does anyone know?
180 Rain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 09:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a basement on a hill (or whatever the exact title is) is out in the UK on the 25th October I think. I'm looking forward to that, the new Interpol one and (maybe) the REM one - I'm a huge REM fan but for me they're close to jumping the shark (http://www.jumpingtheshark.com/about.htm).

[Back to lurking]

[I love a good lurk in the morning]
John M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 02:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefered XO to Figure 8, although 'Junk Bond Trader' is a brilliant song.

Is the new album stuff which was actually ready to be released or have they cobbled things together since his death?
180 Rain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can choose between the two, and then there's Either/Or - nope, still can't choose, but XO is great.

It looks like 'from a basement on the hill' will be a bit of a mixed bag. It's a was a work in progress that associates (didn't Rob Schnapf produce Figure 8?) have finished off:

"15 of elliott's final songs will be released on october 19th by the indie label, anti- records, who have also released music by tom waits and nick cave.

the album brings together songs that elliott worked on while on tour for the figure 8 tour in 2000 to the work he did in his own studio, new monkey, in 2003. with the help of rob schnapf and joanna bolme, who mixed the album, elliott's family, loved ones and friends over the years were able to finalize the album recently and here is the final tracklisting for the record:

coast to coast
let's get lost
pretty (ugly before)
don't go down
strung out again
fond farewell
king's crossing
ostriches & chirping
twilight
a passing feeling
last hour
shooting star
memory lane
little one
a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free

elliott did play most of these songs live at one point of his career and pretty (ugly before) will be the same version as the 7" single that was released in 2003 by suicide squeeze. last hour though might be the fan named, make it over while the music/lyrics for ostriches & chirping and twilight might have never been heard in any form until now. the album also includes guest appearance by elliott's friends and loved ones. steven drodz and aaron sperske played drums and two unknown poetic men spoke on "coast to coast." elliott's tour mates on the figure 8 tour: sam coomes played bass and sang backup, scott mcpherson played drums, and aaron embry played keyboards on "pretty (ugly before)." finally, fritz michaud, whom elliott recorded with in 2003 at new monkey, played a drum track on king's crossing."

Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
I prefered XO to Figure 8, although 'Junk Bond Trader' is a brilliant song.

'XO' is definitely growing on me as well, I've listened to it a couple of times during the last two days and it sounds better and better every time. They are both very very good albums but in a different way.
Haven't found Either/Or yet, but a friend of mine keeps telling me that it's Elliott Smith's best album.
What about the self-titled album 'Elliott Smith', is it any good?
John M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 04:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reivew of the single and link to download it here:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/wearetheworld/04-10-04.shtml
Hew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 06:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

new album is great. sad and lovely.
billycasperx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Have people caught up with that from a basement on the hill 2 yet?

truly terrific, much more upbeat than much of the officially released album. I can't help thinking people's (last) impressions of the guy, his life and his music would be so much more positive if they'd have put a large part of this material on the officially released record.

available as free download at http://www.elliottsmithbsides.com/index2.html

Cheers ears,
billy
x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find mate, you're a star! Smile i was just listening to "either/or" when i saw this thread...!
i'm currently downloading these songs, thanks a lot for letting us know billy. i've already downloaded all the other stuff from elliottsmithbsides.com (i've probably got all the b-sides already!), got lots and lots of unofficial bootlegs, and bought all the albums except for the last one. i really don't know why i haven't bought it yet, i guess i'm just too scared that i might be disappointed and i know that there won't any more new music by elliott smith. Sad

Exclamation
AdamW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy.

I got to interview Elliott twice.

He was a lovely, quiet, unassuming man.

I was backing up bits and pieces of old CD-R's the other day, and I found a transcript of one of the interviews I typed out for a very old website of mine.

Here you go:

http://adamwalton.co.uk/mmt_arc/int-elliott.htm

It *might* be of some interest! Smile

http://myspace.com/adamthomaswalton
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you! Great interview Adam, thanks for that. Smile

AdamW (in the interview) wrote:
THE LAST TIME WE SPOKE, PRIOR TO THE RELEASE OF 'XO', YOU SEEMED TO BE A LITTLE FRUSTRATED THAT PEOPLE WERE CONCENTRATING ON THE DOWNSIDE AND MELANCHOLIC MOMENTS ON YOUR RECORDS... IS THAT WHY THERE ARE MORE MOMENTS ON THIS ALBUM THAT CHALLENGE THAT? SONGS LIKE 'LA' WHICH ARE ALMOST FLAMBOYANT... AND 'HAPPINESS THE GONDOLA MAN' WHICH SOUNDS PLAYFUL!

'Happiness the Gondola Man' is a terribly sad song in my opinion (it's great though!), but you were right about people concentrating on the downside and melancholic moments on Elliott's records... and I must admit that I'm one of those people. Sorry Elliott. Embarassed

AdamW again wrote:
IT'S IRONIC THAT YOU SHOULD MENTION 'THE WHITE ALBUM', BECAUSE 'FIGURE 8' REMINDS ME OF IT... PARTICULARLY 'EVERYTHING MEANS NOTHING TO ME'...

I agree, it reminded me of 'The White Album' too when I heard it. Great album (both of them!)

Exclamation
joeloke22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 07:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elliot Smith - Memory Lane (live)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1