bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - David Bowie
David Bowie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katieken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 17:29    Post subject: David Bowie Reply with quote

Just wondered if anyone had heard 'Heathen' or 'Hours' and their opinion on them. Absolute bollocks, quality items or plain credible? I hadn't realised he had covered The Pixies on 'Heathen' until I recently bought it on E-bay for a mere quid.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hours" is pretty good actually, haven't listened to it for ages though.
"Heathen" was a bit of a disappointment to be honest, but the newest one called "Reality" is quite alright again.

Bowie's best album is still "Hunky Dory" though and the best song is 'Space Oddity'. Pure magic.
sturart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathen is rather good and Hours is just ok. If you were to compare them to Station to Station they'd both be crap but compare them to Tonight and they're great. This is the theory of Bowie relativity.

If I were to buy all the albums again Hours would be one of the last ones I would buy.

Also Heathen included Slip Away, which saw the return of the stylophone, which has got to be good.
This is all true.
katieken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like 'Kooks' and I have to say a personal favourite is 'Five Years'. 'Ashes To Ashes' is top too. Bowie is great bar Tin Machine
John M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 03:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a book about Bowie at the weekend, he's lead a cool life: drugs, women, drink, world changing albums etc. I didn't realise how big 'Lets Dance' was, it sold stupid amounts of copies. I've only got 'Low' which other albums should I buy? Is Station To Station any good?
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 04:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Station to Station is a top album.

You've got Low so get Heroes to go with it to complete the "experimental eno stage".
I'd also recommend Hunky Dory. I suppose any Bowie collection wouldn't be complete without Ziggy Stardust & Aladdin Sane either.
If you can get the 2 disc remaster thingy of Ziggy Stardust you'll get "In The Port Of Amsterdam" on the second disc. I love that song!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 17:15    Post subject: disco' rants: Reply with quote

the most overrated music act of all time Mad

oh, and he can't sing to save his life, either
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 17:23    Post subject: Re: disco' rants: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

That's hilarious!

xxx
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 17:45    Post subject: Re: disco' rants: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I agree with that, but 'guest' weren't me. Not only a boat that left me at the harbour, but wrong I appear to have been in the wrong fuckin' port for.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 20:45    Post subject: disco' continues: Reply with quote

he who can only say hahaha ad infinitum doesn't have much of a defence, I reckon Wink

he's good at working the media, tho... which is where bad acts can thrive irrespective of their musical output
sturart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc." is a very good defense but I doubt it was intended as a defence: i think it's just the obvious reaction to such amusingly inaccurate and inane statements. People who actively dislike David Bowie make very little sense; i for one wouldn't want to waste my time trying to change their (wrong) minds.

Perhaps after reading this the bowie-haters will see the error of their ways and repent. It is patently obvious to any human being with any significant amount of intelligence that there was no music before David Bowie (except for Rock'N'Roll, Jazz, The Velvet Underground, The Beatles, and all that other stuff but these can all be ignored for the convenience of my flawless argument)
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 07:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hahahs post was an immediate reaction, I didn't think at all about what I was writing.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but surely.... even if you hate his songs..... saying he can't sing?!?! He's probablt got the best voice of any male ever?!

xxx
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 09:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
He's probablt got the best voice of any male ever?!

no way dude...

though my winner for the "best voice of any male ever" category probably changes every week... this week it's gotta be barry white. his voice truly IS the definition of "the money shot".

and if you want to read some crazy shit about bowie... i'd suggest you go pick up "backstage passes" by his ex-missus angela bowie. jesus in a jelly bowl, what a couple of nutbags!

x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 09:29    Post subject: disco' adds: Reply with quote

Bowie's vocal style is closer to talking than singing

(see also: David Byrne and Peter Gabriel)

he's no singer. nor a musical innovator. A good attention seeker, tho.
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he's got a great voice. hunky dory is one of my favourite albums ever. simple but beautiful songs with ace lyrics. yeah!

anyone ever hear dinosaur jr's version of 'quicksand'? ooooh!

mx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2