bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - may single
may single
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave w.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks vaguely familiar, but i've no idea where it's from.

the artwork on all the singles is great. you could spend ages working out what everything is (or trying to).
sturart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 03:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'bloke lying in bed' is actually an 18th century painting by something David, (i think his name is Jaques (?) David) of his murdered French revolutionary friend, Marat. He is actually lying dead in a bath, though it is quite hard to see in this barbarously mutilated presentation, you can just about make out the stab wound. The painting is called, 'The Death of Marat'. Mr. bravecaptain left out the best bit, the top half of the painting, it's lost its beauty. The other things are: (obviously)Pablo Picasso, (some spanish person) (obviously)Allen Ginsberg (a man with a funny beard and hat (I've never read anything by him but i once saw him in a music video singing/talking (or rapping) about skeletons and found it bizarre and amusing) he deserves respect at least for his beard) and is that the amazing Ian Puffin who wrote all those children's books? I also noticed a guitar, marijuana, sunflowers, a butterfly, books, and Bob Dylan amongst other things. Is Bob Dylan the odd one out because all the others are dead. I win prize now?

I like the new single but it seems short after waiting a month, I'm looking forward to compiling all these singles into an album at the end of the year. Then I can give them my full attention. (Or am i living in the past still listening to albums? maybe I should get an i-pod)

I quite like the artwork so far in general but I'm not a big fan of the montage style of the last two. Martin, if you read this, I think you should draw/paint the next cover. You could do a series of very quick watercolour paintings with a blindfold and then cut up the best bits. Paint is fun. Fingerpainting is especially fun. Sometimes I get impatient with my brushes and need to get my fingers messy. Try it. Or just doodle with a biro, either way it would be a good idea and would be more legal (assuming that you haven't bothered with the hassle of obtaining copyright clearance for the photos used). Do you like being told what to do? I wouldn't have thought so, but my opinions are really good innit. Wink If you need help with any future recordings or artwork then let me know.

Bye!

X
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 08:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave w. wrote:
sorry, this is probably the most pointless question ever, as we're probably only talking about a few pence, and i'm probably the only person buying two at once...

Nah, I'm going to need to do that to, as I haven't been able to download owt since January (or indeed 'January') due to limitations of my girlfriend's PC. As soon as I've persuaded her to upgrade, then I'm getting them all!
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 08:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturart wrote:
The 'bloke lying in bed' is actually an 18th century painting by something David, (i think his name is Jaques (?) David) of his murdered French revolutionary friend, Marat.

Cheers, the Economist used it to show the death of the European Constitution after the French 'No' vote although I'm beginning to suspect the cover was just part of the multi-media campaign for the launch of the single. The Economist also left out the top bit of the painting.

I reckon May and February are the best 'month' singles so far.
sturart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm beginning to suspect the cover was just part of the multi-media campaign for the launch of the single.

Yeah, in a bizarre attempt at subliminal advertising. It's bizarre because you can't see the cover properly until you've already bought the single. Although, this is clearly just one thing that has been spotted in a series of powerful mind-controlling techniques. They have obviously worked because, for some reason, I automatically went to this site yesterday and bought a copy of the single. I don't even read newspapers. Weird.

I can see how someone could cut off the top of the image as it is famous enough to be recognized without; although the top half doesn't have any details it's still an important space. If you ignore the montage, and consider the painting as it is shown here, it's like listening to the radio edit of Lazarus, or Ride the Tiger. Now I hope everyone can see why I'm making such a fuss.
Wink

I might agree with May and February being the best ones so far but I would like to make a reference to the enjoyably poppy January and the very cool ending bit of April. They're good.

X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2