bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Has It Come To This?
Has It Come To This?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 14:58    Post subject: Has It Come To This? Reply with quote

Suede songs being used in adverts for the MFI sale. They used to be the exciting and flamboyant kings of indie pop and now they're selling their souls and flatpacks.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that too... what does MFI sell? do they have suede sofas?
Hew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

what songs are they using?
paulwhite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

shes in fashion. i think. correct me if i'm wrong.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its she's in fashion, i've never really liked that song anyway and having it associated with reasonably priced furniture has done nothing to enhance its appeal.
MS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't believe it that The Cure allowed 'Pictures of You' to be used by HP and then 'In Between Days. for a car advert (Renault or Citreon - I forget which). 'Just Like Heaven' for BBC Radio 6 was a bit more understandable....
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 00:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time, securing life for your family and so on...that is important too.

Love & Peace
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 00:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Just Like Heaven....
Katie Melua has murdered it on her latest album.
Also, The Cure are now played on these "Classic Gold" radio stations alongside Cliff and Hot Chocolate!

You're not wrong there Set! It may be Rock 'n' Roll, but at the end of the month the mortgage and the gas bill and what have you must be paid. If that means letting your song be used to advertise loft insulation then it's a small price to pay....

Do you think Brett got a free wardrobe?

Rolling Eyes
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 01:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
At the same time, securing life for your family and so on...that is important too.

Love & Peace

Securing a decent quality of life for your family is vastly overrated. If you want a secure life then become an accountant or a lawyer not a gender bending indie rock god I reckon. Artists should suffer for their work, not only will I not be paying for the new bravecaptain album I intend to go around to Martins house and steal some of his stuff as well.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but understand that someone telling you 'we'll use the song you've already written and pay you millions' gives another level of security. Knowing your children will have economic security even when you're dead and so on means a lot. Many things change once you have a family to look after, and the most ethical choices are not always the easiest ones to make.

Compare that to having a regular office job, you have money, for moment and some savings.

Besides, getting a regular job isn't easy these days.

Love & Peace
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why the blokes from Suede would accept a load of cash for their songs to be used in adverts but, like when you hear about old sportsmen selling off their medals, its sad seeing it happen.

It's like admitting that you're probably not going to do which anyone's going to be interested in again so you may as well cash in on your saleable assets while you can.

As I said, I don't even like "She's In Fashion", imagine how wanky and over emotional I'm going to get when "The Drowners" is used in a advert for Matalan in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 00:37    Post subject: dRd says Reply with quote

it'd be cool if they had an advert looking for new recruits to the police 'force' and used We Are The Pigs, tho

or, maybe not.
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
I can understand why the blokes from Suede would accept a load of cash for their songs to be used in adverts but, like when you hear about old sportsmen selling off their medals, its sad seeing it happen.

I heard Alan Brazil talking about tis sort of thing a while ago and he really just wasn't interested in all his medals and stuff. He was saying "i've done it, I know I did it so what do I need a medal for?" It seems these things are worth more to "fans" so why not let them have them and pay the mortgage at the same time.

Wouldn't "The Drowners" be better placed on an advert for package holidays to Thailand?

sorry, I'll get my coat Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:07    Post subject: discoRdance woz 'ere. Reply with quote

Dubya - T wrote:
Wouldn't "The Drowners" be better placed on an advert for package holidays to Thailand?

Surprised
Melz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 00:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... bringing this back on topic for a moment, I saw the offending advert for the first time today. Very infuriating, I agree. Especially as that's the song that really got me "into" Suede. I'd heard a few songs like Animal Nitrate and The Wild Ones but it was the Head Music album that really made me a fan, even though it seems nobody else liked it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2