bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - I got the Arctic Monkeys album and......
I got the Arctic Monkeys album and......
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:09    Post subject: I got the Arctic Monkeys album and...... Reply with quote

It's really not "all that" you know.

Some "better than" Babyshambles garage-pop tunes with lyrics mentioning getting kicked in by cops and living near Hillsborough. Pulp and Supergrass did this kind of thing a million times better 10 years ago, and I'm sure others were too 30-40 years ago.

xxx
John M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that if I was 10 years younger the Arctic Monkeys would sound like a cross between Oasis and The Streets and I'd devote my life to them. But I'm not so I'm sticking with my Madonna album for now, give me big multicolour disco tunes over angst ridden teens anyday.

Have you heard the Babyshambles album? It’s a rotten old thing, Slurred vocals and songs with no tunes may have a certain charm for a couple of singles but you need more than that over the course of 16 "songs". No wonder everyone in the studio had to use class A drugs to listen to it all the way through.

The new Streets album "Hardest Way To An Easy Life" (or something like that) is out in a couple of months, that excites as much as a Xabi Alonso goal from 900 yards. Please god don't let it be rubbish.
paulwhite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the babyshambles album. you gotta listen hard for the tunes, but they are there. it is too long though.

arctic monkeys i was disappointed by. i prefered the demo versions to most of the songs especially 'riot van'. I'm still looking forward to seeing them though..

pd.x.
stegger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even the best band in Sheffield. Not by a mile.
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it's got 10/10 in the NME....

Oh the boring predictablility of it all Rolling Eyes
John M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does write good lyrics and I'll definitely buy the album, if only to prove that I'm still down with The Kids. You know how writes really great lyrics? Stephen Malkmus, that’s who. Also whoever wrote "Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson deserves a Grammy for the line "I'm so moving on" which fantastic.

I'm bored with temping now does anyone wanna give me a permanent job? I'm really good, honestly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 17:08    Post subject: dRd sez Reply with quote

I haven't heard and have no intention of hearing the Arctic Monkeys album, or the Babyshambles album, or the Arcade Fire, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi, Coldplay, Kasabian, Libertines, Razorlight, Bright Eyes, White Stripes, Keane, The Killers, The Bravery, The Streets or Bloc Party albums. Flavour of the month acts are almost always shite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 17:29    Post subject: dRd adds Reply with quote

oh, add in poxy Franz Ferdinand to that list (in case anyone thinks I like them)
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 18:45    Post subject: Re: dRd sez Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I haven't heard and have no intention of hearing the Arctic Monkeys album, or the Babyshambles album, or the Arcade Fire, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi, Coldplay, Kasabian, Libertines, Razorlight, Bright Eyes, White Stripes, Keane, The Killers, The Bravery, The Streets or Bloc Party albums. Flavour of the month acts are almost always shite

Have you heard stuff by all those acts and decided you don't like them or are you not interested in them because of the hype around them? I'll listen to any old rubbish, even crap albums generally have one decent track on.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

hype's usually a bad sign of how good an album is, but the bright eyes albums from last year are both really good. i hadn't realised they'd been hyped that much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:54    Post subject: dRd responds Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Have you heard stuff by all those acts and decided you don't like them or are you not interested in them because of the hype around them? I'll listen to any old rubbish, even crap albums generally have one decent track on.

Yes, I've heard stuff by all of them; had to endure a good number of them at a festival last summer, too...
Neutral
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 3-4 listens I'm really warming to the album now. It's still nothing like what the hype would have you believe it is, but it's got some good tunes, and the lyrics do raise it to that extra level. I don't think I'd have bothered with it by now if it hadn't been for those.

"Oh you saved me", she screams down the line, "the band we're fucking wank and I'm not having a nice time".

xxx
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is right though.... I reckon the 18 year old version of me would think a Revolution had just happened....
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 18 years olds do see that a revoution has happened - it's great, the band scene (in London at least, can't speak for elsewhere as I rarely leave London now) is full of energy and excitement at the moment.

Obviously there's a load of crap (or more likely, average) bands for every good one, but there's a lot of good ones too.

It's all very un-pretencious and about having fun again and songs you can dance around to, of course it's not very original mostly, but it's definitely a new movement and era in music in the same way as the 90's Indie scene was, and all those bands you mention DiscoRd are just the ones at the NME-have-chosen-to-like-them end of things.

Mark. x
stegger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixedcasesspaces wrote:
it's great, the band scene (in London at least, can't speak for elsewhere as I rarely leave London now) is full of energy and excitement at the moment.

There does seem to be some renewed vigour on the Sheffield 'circuit' as well, which is probably a direct consequence. So fair play, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4