bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Safe As Film
Safe As Film
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
But it has dinosaurs in it...

Not seen it for a long time, but I'm pretty certain the original version did too xxx
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I still think it'll be so so, in the same way as "Kingdom Of Heaven"...but with crappier story line.

By the way, I think you should watch "Kingdom Of Heaven" because of the ending, not 100% predictble. Even though the film in itself is sickeningly politically correct.

Love & Peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 15:25    Post subject: dRd says Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
You personally guarantee the film will be shit, cos the 25ft ape that doesn't exist looks fake?

Did it guarantee that the 1993 film was shit for the same reason?

Maybe you should actually watch stuff before passing such absolute judgement.

I think you mean 1933.

It was two different sentences. I didn't say it was the sole reason why I reckon it's shit, but really, how many times do they have to redo the same film. Looks like a bit of a vanity project for Peter Jackson to me. And just because something is obviously not real, it doesn't mean you can get away with it looking shit. You have to have some element of believability. The 1933 Kong wasn't the greatest looking thing either, but they didn't have fancy technology, and for 1933 they still did a good job, especially the bits where Kong is fighting dinosaurs. The new film just looks like another boring "Hollywood blockbuster."

I usually have a good record when it comes to deciding if a film will be shit. The only serious blots on my cinema-going record are Death Becomes Her and Lost In Translation! (the latter being the ultimate 'emperor's new clothes' film)
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the film thread...I actually agree, there are too many film remakes...make up new stories! How hard could it be?

Love & Peace
MS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching 'Jersey Girl' by Kevin Smith again. I have to say that this and 'Chasing Amy' are two of my favourite films. I'm sure most will disagree - but when Kevin Smith has something personal to say in a movie - he does it so well. He is so good at dialogue.

'Chasing Amy' once you get around the dressing - is just such a good film about falling in love and insecurity about sex. It is my favourire film ever.
joeloke22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 01:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/troy/trailer/large.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw "Jersey Girl" recently, felt like his most 'regular' film so far. But the Fresh Prince thing was funny.

Love & Peace
MS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 00:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definite his most regular to date but with a very personal story to say too. Not a classic by any stretch of the imaginations, but a lovely film. I do like all Kevin Smith's films - but some do work on very different levels to others.

Mt Order of Preference is:

Chasing Amy
Dogma
Jersey Girl
Clerks
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Which is great for i) spotting all the references to the other KS films ii) Damon & Affleck doing a Shoot of 'Good Will Hunting 2 - It's Hunting Season!' iii) The line 'Affleck's teh bomb in Phantoms'
Mallrats

If you can just look beyond the whole idea of dating and falling for a lesbian, Chasing Amy is just about two ordinary people enjoying spending time together and gradually falling in love - not in a big schmultzy Hollywood way, but by doing little things - but doing them together. And then the insecurites one can feel once in that perfect relationship. The scene in the car when Holden tells Allysa about how he feels is so well done. As was The scene where Alyssa explains why she fell for Holden when she was gay, or when get Silent Bob'a wonderful explanation of chasing Amy.

And in between all that - the humour and dialgue remains superb. And the whole film was shot for a round $200,000.

If you haven't seen Chasing Amy - go rent it

(PS Just as I'm establishing some sentimental credit for myself - the Matrix was on again tonight and I never bore of seeing it. Along with Chasing Amy, my top two films of all time)

(PPS My career as film critic thankfuly never too fo the ground, I think you can all see why!)
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New World

The most mind-numbingly boring film I have ever ever had to endure and, at the age of 29 and a half, the first film I have ever given up on and walked out of before the end.

Shite!

xxx
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, good one, Tommy... we already had a Safe As Film thread Rolling Eyes
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, well, even i can't remember everything !

in fact, usually i can't remember anything ... Confused

Exclamation
chuddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Night and Good Luck is brill

go see it
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, very atmospheric and thought provoking. his comments on how tv should educate people at the end was a bit apt, tv seems to have lost that goal completly.

ooh, George, see men can be sexy at 44!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, its good. In the wrong hands it could have been slow and dull but in George's firm, manly 44 year old hands it works really well. Plus liking a black and white film makes me feel grown up and cultured.
gillworm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capote, now there's an interesting film. I will have my fingers crossed for Philip Seymour Hoffman getting an Oscar tonight, it would be richly deserved. there's an actor we need to see more of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10