bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - how about some getting to know you stuff?
how about some getting to know you stuff?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillworm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 19:33    Post subject: how about some getting to know you stuff? Reply with quote

I can't upload baby pics cos I don't have a pc but there's been a nice sense of community around the BC Q&A threads, so how about a bit of social intercourse?

sooooo - music first! been to any gigs lately?

I haven't been to many this year but last month I had a lucky two nights in a row, firstly Ooberman at the Metro club on Oxford Street, then the next night Martin Grech at the Underworld in Camden - what a contrast, but what a great pair of gigs too. Ooberman combine lovely eccentric lyrics and soft, sweet but never mushy music and Martin Grech rocks the roof off!

anyone want to share their good gig memories?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to see hanoi rocks on 10th may - i'm really looking forward to it! they are more like a rock band but i still love them. Rolling Eyes
Hew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 07:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think My Morning Jacket will be the next one for me in May
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 08:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting to know you, gigs and all...
Umm. I sort of signed up and started posting without saying hello I'm me and everything. Well, I am me. No good at introductions (or goodbyes for that matter) but I'm 23, a young educated unemployed american. so there ya go.

some movies I like are: Blue Hawii, 12 angry men, bicycle thief, office space, and anything by Wenders, Herzog, Lang, Eisenstein, Vertov, Tarkovsky, Paradjanov, Sergio Leone

recent (?) gigs I've enjoyed: NPR/BBC War Coverage (does that count?), Godspeed you Black Emperor!, Sonic Boom, Roxy Music

and I'm now listening to XTC's Apple Venus 1, because my computer wouldn't read my Yes, Please disc.

and I don't watch TV and voted Nader for president and all that nonsense, but I do eat meat Twisted Evil

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 09:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when I get home on Thursday I'll post up some pictures of me and Darragh when we were young. I will juxtapose them with a picture of a spotty gurning Darragh rolling around in the mcuk at oasis at witnness. This was the basement jaxx gig he mentioned earlier in the thread. the only jaxx he saw was the one he was puking into. I won't be able to do it on good friday because being the good Irish catholics that we are we will be nailed to our honourary crucifixes or is it crucifii in our back garden.

As for the best gigs, well I will vouch for that radiohead gig a number of yeears ago being pretty special. I also have to say of recent times the flips did the business last summer. Nowadays I get a massive kick out of really good dance stuff live. anyway it's like summer here so I'm going to get a tan.
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 09:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, a bit of an embarrassing moment. Trying to shuffle out of a packed croud of 13 year old girls at an Alanis Morrissette show after seeing Radiohead open in '96. so I wasn't really, but I was actually, at an "Alanis" concert.....................

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about people's 1st gigs?

The first gig i saw was a free one in Wollaton Park in Nottingham
with CUD headlining...! (Neurotica, class song!)
(and My life Story and pre-famous(but still sbit) Chumbawumba...
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 07:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does everyone say that chumbawamba are crap? well, they aren't my biggest favourites, but they aren't THAT crap Very Happy in fact they have some pretty good songs, but well, some pretty crap ones as well.
i've also noticed that everyone spells it like "chumbawumba" even though it's chumbawamba... i know that you do it on purpose! hahaha Very Happy
billycasper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 08:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for first gigs, my dad took me took me to see Gary Glitter when I was about 5, but I've had to drop that story from my repertoire of late. Otherwise, Jason Donovan when I was about 8 (look, it was my sister's birthday outing, I had no choice...). More seriously (or perhaps not), went to see Carter USM when I was about 13 and haven't looked back since. Also fell in love with the support band, called Nilon Bombers. Never did anything - had a novelty single called Superstar where they chanted all the people who'd been inspirational to them, ended up on the Big Breakfast. Saw them at a signing in my local HMV a few months later - I was the only person there. Sob. Where are they now?

As for best gigs, David Kitt always blows me away. First time I saw him was at Zodiac in Oxford where about 20 people were well into it and loads of other twats were just chatting at the bar, drowning him out. His solution? He went through the audience, picked out the people he thought were enjoying it and took them back to his dressing room where he played the rest of the gig. Then everyone went back to the venue for one last song, a real crash-bang-wallop effort that almost destroyed the place and certainly pissed off all the chattering twats. Legendary stuff to all two dozen who were there. He was great at Glastonbury last year too, actually, apart from Gorky's (and Orbital, but I don't think that was strictly down to the music as such, more the drug enduced life changing realisation I had midset that I actually pretty much hated my girlfriend, that she was destroying me as a person and that although she was in my arms at the time I'd never felt so distant or isolated from anyone, and something had to be done - but that's another story), the highlight of the festival for me. Also PJ Harvey at Shepherd's Bush Empire when Stories... came out, played for like, 2 hours and I still wished she'd played a few more. Amazing. Likewise Arthur Lee / Love on the Forever Changes tour - he amazed my dad 35 years ago, he can still do it for me. What a guy, what a life.

And as for Radiohead, I was bitterly disappointed when I caught them on the OK Computer tour - sound was a bit shit and Thom kept having tantrums in between the songs.
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, same here on the Radiohead Ok Computer Tour Front. Doncaster Dome - what a shite venue.

First gig, to best of my memory, was The Levellers at some shed near Birmingham NEC - it was great!!!!!

Best gig ever, hmmmm, Oasis at Earls Court or Stone Roses at Manchester.

Last gig went to was The Yeah Yeah yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Leady. They were shite, but the support - Ikara Colt were AMAZING!

As for Future gigs.. Glasto, and if there's any luck there'll be Queens Of The Stone Age shortly before, though I don't have tickets.... Rolling Eyes

Kinks
che

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

CranesAreFlying wrote:
my computer wouldn't read my Yes, Please disc.

ain't sunshine +_ love a fuckin' choon?
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see the Everly Brothers comeback tour at Liverpool Empire in 1982 (Have I told you this before?). It was me and my twin brother and my Dad and it was supposed to be one of my dad's old teddy boy mates but he never showed up so me mum came instead. Me and our Cal had our hair piled high and sat behind Howard Kendall and I stuck chewits wrappers all over the back of his suit 'cos he is a fuckin' toffee. The first gig I went to on my own was the Thompson Twins in 1984 at Liverpool Royal Court. That year I also saw The Adventures and Tears For Fears at the Court. Me and my mate Togger sent off for tickets (you had to apply for 'em by post) for the first big Frankie gig at the Court in 85, they were fucking brilliant. I saw the Monochrome Set at the Poly as well. And The Soup Dragons and the Wedding Present, (I think we're at '86/87 now) and The House of Love who were third support to the Mighty Lemon Drops and blew my head off. And the Primitives at the Court and Julien Cope and Crazyhead and the Marychain and Loop and we travelled up to St Helens to see My Bloody Valentine and missed the last bus home. Dinosaur Jr at Planet X, the Telescopes, Lush. We went up to Leeds to watch the first Mercury Rev tour which was one of the best gigs I ever saw. Highlights are The Beastie Boys in 94, Oasis at the Water Rats in 93 (I think), SFA in Liverpool 98, Dead Prez in 99, Squarepusher in 96, Radiohead in 98, MBV everytime I saw em, ADF in Texas 99, 60ft Dolls in 95, Gorkys in 2001, Kid 606 and Gold Chainz in London 2001, Bon Jovi in Finland 96 (I shit you not), SFA in New York 2002, Flamin Lips U.S in 97, John Barry RAH in 98, Blur in Sweden 92 and all the ones I have forgotten. x

http://www.fatwasam.co.uk/
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit I forgot SFA, The Beastie Boys AND New Order. All three at Reading 1998 it was fuckin brilliant!!!
Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best ones:
The Boo Radleys: saw them four times, each time an orgasm.
Pulp, Suede, Morrissey: great dancers!
The Skatalites: Ska!
Mogwai, The Charlatans: noise
Chumbawamba: fun
Gorky, Primal, ADF, Day one, Stereo mc's, and a lot lot more.

The worst ones:
Oasis: not a good live band at all.
Tha Auteurs: Luke Haines was far too drunk.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't go to see gigs too often. Confused
but the bravecaptain gig in london was ace! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tommy BOO on Fri Mar 04, 2005 00:19; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3