bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Music For Short Attention Spans...
Music For Short Attention Spans...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 23:33    Post subject: Music For Short Attention Spans... Reply with quote

...is the new, free, 8-track mini owl bum by Sixpac 'jjon' Drinkur & The Downtown Lovelyshots

Downloadable from http://www.sendspace.com/file/dnuoz1

Press Release:

The songs of "Music For Short Attention Spans" were originally composed in 1956, when Guillaume Tilley-Mercer of The Downtown Lovelyshots (then Jenni & The Goosesteppers) overheard a milkman whistling them cheerily over his usual breakfast of egg pie and piping hot ale. The young Tilley-Mercer (then Ezquerro-Hirschfield) was a pugnacious sort of chap and indeed he thought nothing of administering a sound beating to the whistling milkman before making off with his watch, at least one of his shoes and, of course, those unaccounted-for melodies. Alas, Ezquerro-Hirschfield's insistance that the lyrics be comprised entirely of Bulgarian translations of Brechtian theatre did not sit well with fans of The Goosesteppers, who duly switched their attentions to such burgeoning talents as Elvis Presley, Cliff Richard and Burrswatz Plelafaffnon.

It was not until 1974 that they re-emerged as Sid Platter's Frenetic Disco Implosion and ensuing long-player 'Ingest Your Food Pills, Mupsnadzu!' proved to be their most ambitious outing to date. Presented as a collection of funk interpretations of songs from the future, 'IYFP, M!' (which was preceded by the single 'Where Is My Szetlespuzq?') was met with widespread acclaim at the time but has since been generally re-evalued as perhaps the shittest album ever.

And so, after several aborted attempts at making a comeback as Scando-pop collective Bloink, messrs Lars Gundervelt-Trappstoembergner, Boris Whittingham-Chelsea, Gertrude Aloysius Prenderville-Tompkinsmitt, Ryan Pilchard-West, Gustave Mellon-Pratchett, Gregorsz Dyke-Rosenthal, Cyril Platt-Matthews and Guillaume Tilley-Mercer of The Downtown Lovelyshots return with their first album. Which is also their new one. Or something like that.

"Listening to The Downtown Lovelyshots is a lot like having sex with a farmyard animal. It's noisy, the rhythm's all over the place and you end up with weird spots all over your genitals" - Pitchfork

"If you buy just one album this year...then you're a real cheapskate..." - some wag

"I like the funny noises" - Luke, aged 6
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll check it out some time soon.
but i'll probably forget.

i think i listened to your first album the other day as well and i really liked at least one of the songs there... i'll let you know what it's called when i get back home again.
but i'll probably forget.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 00:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, still haven't listened to the new mini owl-bum (I forgot), but here are some thoughts about the previous album.

Well, first of all I must say that I was positively surprised when I heard it. The first three songs are all ace, 'Thoroughly Whipped' is probably my favourite song on the album - it's quite catchy and the Boo-like guitars fit in well there.
Unfortunately, some of the songs in the middle of the album aren't that great. 'Underbelly', for example, is such a disappointment, especially when it comes right after the excellent 'Thoroughly Whipped'.
There are lots of different ideas on the album which is a good thing, but the problem is that some of those ideas just don't work very well.
It's also a shame that the vocals in most of the songs are quite unclear - they're buried under the guitars and all other instruments so it's sometimes quite difficult to hear the lyrics... but maybe that's because English isn't my first language. Razz
The album gets better again towards the end, and although none of the songs are as good as the first three, there's some pretty good stuff in there as well. It's quite easy to notice that the Boos have influenced you (you even had trumpets there!) and that's not a bad thing at all of course.
The last song, "The Odd Hallucination", sounds very Elliott Smith-esque (which isn't a bad thing either)

Anyway, apart from a couple of below-par album fillers and the shabby sound quality in some songs, I think it's a pretty good album. I didn't find it so special on my first listen a few months ago, but now that I've heard it a couple of times, I'm starting to like it.

I'm definitely going to check out the new 8-track mini owl bum now... and I try not to forget this time. Cool

Exclamation

PS. the download link never works, it always says "sorry, the free service is at full capacity" when I try to download it.
jjon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot Tommy! That's really great of you to take the time to listen more than once and then give me all that feedback. A thousand thankyous and I hope to have much better for you in the very immediate future. Production and louder vox is definitely something I have been working on.

Just out of interest, what is your first language? I had it in my head that you're Danish - in which case, from my experience, you probably speak English better than any of us! But then you have something written in Welsh on your profile, so you could be that. Or just a great fan of SFA and/or Gorky's. In which case, good on you again!

Which download link isn't working for you? The new one? Let me know and I'll re-up it somewhere or other.

Again, thanks!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjon wrote:
Just out of interest, what is your first language? I had it in my head that you're Danish - in which case, from my experience, you probably speak English better than any of us! But then you have something written in Welsh on your profile, so you could be that. Or just a great fan of SFA and/or Gorky's. In which case, good on you again!

No, I'm not Danish, but your guess was quite close, I suppose...
I'm Finnish and been living here in Finland all my life - the location bit in my profile is indeed Welsh though, it means "Republic of Finland".
And yes, I am a big fan of both Gorky's and SFA. Smile

Quote:
Which download link isn't working for you? The new one? Let me know and I'll re-up it somewhere or other.

The download link for your new owl-bum seems to be permanently down... (previously it just said that the "download capacity is full" or something) Could you upload it somewhere again?

Exclamation
jjon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 00:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, I did a song in Finnish as it happens! It's called Viheltava Maitomies, which (I hope!) translates roughly as The Whistling Milkman. I wrote the lyrics in English and then emailed them to a chap called Osmo Tapio Raihala who is apparently a well-known classical composer over there, as well as a fellow Everton fan. He then sent me a translation with a rough guide of how to pronounce it. Here's the demo of it...I want to try re-recording it soon: http://www.sendspace.com/file/02lee9

I've re-upped Music For Short Attention Spans here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/y8ojlh

And I've just finished a new album called I Love You Long Time which is probably better-produced than the others: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cvvn2j

You may not get the chance to actually listen to all that but there it is anyroad! Thanks again for your previous time and comments, it's very much appreciated and also very helpful.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 02:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjon wrote:
Ah right, I did a song in Finnish as it happens! It's called Viheltava Maitomies, which (I hope!) translates roughly as The Whistling Milkman. I wrote the lyrics in English and then emailed them to a chap called Osmo Tapio Raihala who is apparently a well-known classical composer over there, as well as a fellow Everton fan. He then sent me a translation with a rough guide of how to pronounce it.

Hahahahah!! Laughing
I listened to Viheltava Maitomies, that was a pretty weird song but not at all bad. Sounds a bit like Elliott Smith... If you're going to re-record this, you should probably pay a bit more attention to pronouncing the words though - I can understand some words here and there, but unfortunately most of it sounds gibberish even to me. Razz
Of course I don't expect you to sing it in perfect Finnish, and it must be very difficult to get it even nearly right... but hang on, why on earth have you written a song in Finnish anyway, if you don't mind me asking?! Hahah, I like the idea though!

Well, now that I've listened to the song three times, I think your pronunciation actually sounds quite Finnish there... I just can't recognise the words, if you know what I mean? (you probably don't, it's hard to explain this) I suppose it would be fun to listen to this song again if I knew the lyrics! Are they available somewhere? Smile

I've heard of a chap called Osmo Tapio Raihala, so he must be somewhat famous then. Hahah, I found some information about him on Wikipedia... apparently one of his most popular compositions is called Barlinnie Nine, which is a "musical portrait of a football player Duncan Ferguson"! Very Happy

I'll check out those two albums some time soon... I finally managed to download both of them, thanks for re-uploading them.

Exclamation
jjon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a few times now that someone's said I sound like Elliott Smith! I'll have to investigate further. I'm only really that familiar with Figure 8 but that's a cracking album. Any recommendations? I wrote a song in Finnish because, a few years ago, I thought it would be a jolly good wheeze (and possibly ever so clever) to try writing some songs in languages that I didn't have the first clue about. I knew Osmo through an Everton message board (rock 'n' roll, eh?) and he was only too happy to help out. I also got an Icelandic translation off a wonderful bloke called Thor. Haha. Annoyingly, I no longer have the original translation sent to me by Osmo but I think I can remember most of the English version of the lyrics so let me know if you'd like me to PM them to you for checking up with. I'm glad I at least sound a bit Finnish, even if it is Finngibberish! I do enjoy it on the odd occasion when I meet somebody Finnish...they always seem quite surprised when I'm able to tell them the words for 'whistling' and 'milk man'!

Yeah, Barlinnie Nine seems to be the thing that comes up when you Google Osmo's name! Barlinnie is I think where Duncan went to prison and 9, of course, was the number on his back (on those sporadic occasions when he was actually playing, anyway). One day, I might have a stab at Duncan The Musical! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1