bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - sfa ok
sfa ok
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll take that as a compliment.

be my guest Razz
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear though. It's a nice album. Apart from Suckers, it's absolute pants compared to Radiator or Geurrilla.

x
discoRdance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's amazing what one more listen can do.

you look at a painting, you either like it or you don't, and that's it pretty much. Bloody music needs a few listens before you can make any proper judgement.

well, I think it's a bit like LoveKraft pt 2, only not as good (in a sort of Kid A/Amnesiac style), but, I think I like it afterall.

good call, Kinkster... er, Kris Wink

the artwork and the title are both still trousers, though. Or, pants to some people.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Just to be clear though. It's a nice album. Apart from Suckers, it's absolute pants compared to Radiator or Geurrilla

I haven't heard all the songs from the new album yet, but if it's absolute pants compared to Guerrilla, then it can't be very good... then again, you're a music nazi... Razz
I think Love Kraft is actually pretty good (although I was quite disappointed at first) but not as good as Fuzzy Logic or RATW or even Radiator. Guerrilla, on the other hand, is easily their worst album, the mobile phone song is really annoying and the only excellent songs on the album are 'fire in my heart' and the one about tomatoes and camels.
I found Phantom Power quite disappointing after the first listen as well but it has turned out to be one of my favourites, there's some great stuff on that album.

did I forget something?

quite possibly.

Exclamation
Melz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only thing you forgot was to give Guerrilla a chance. Wink Then again, it was the first of their albums that I ever heard so I'm kind of biased. Don't forget to rewind five minutes before listening, and show the mobile phone song a bit of respect. Very Happy

Hey Venus! is getting better every time I hear it. It's a fun album - something there don't seem to be many of at the moment.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and I forgot Mwng as well of course... it's not a bad album but nothing special. It would probably help if I could understand what the songs are all about.

I also forgot that 'northern lites' is on Guerrilla, that's another great song. You're probably right that I haven't given it a proper chance, I think I've only listened to it through a couple of times, but even the album cover is so bad that it scares me away. Confused
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFA are playing at the Albert Hall on New Years Eve:

http://www.clickmusic.com/articles/6122/Super-Furry-Animals-To-Play-New-Years-Gig.html

How good does that sound! Any band who have gigs which are promise to be anything less than a "surrealist playground defying the logic of space and time" should now be kicked out of the Rock and Roll union.
paulwhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's actually at Royal Festival Hall, but still sounds great.

I went to the evening they had there before when martin played, it was a really fantastic evening.

I was gonna suggest arranging a meet-up, but the tickets are £50!!! I'm bumming off work for a few months so can't probably afford it. probably . Crying or Very sad

I'll have to wait to see what other details emerge.......
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom Power has to be the poorest SFA album and even that is better than most other bands' efforts. Mwng is brilliant, and I always thought all those European entries in the Eurovision were shite because I didn't know what they were singing about, how wrong I was! They were shite, full stop. Guerrilla is great, too, for the most part.
/opinion

I'm a little disappointed with that promise about the new year's eve gig, after the recent Dublin show. There was little to complain about with the music but missing were the usual stage props, costumes, wacky pre-gig videos, etc, which aren't necessary but have come to be expected when SFA play. When I saw Gruff in NYC in September, he didn't have much in the way of that, either, again, unlike at the earlier Dublin gig, but at least it's more to be expected that he wouldn't have so much at a gig so far away. They played everything except Suckers off the new album a few weeks ago, too. I don't know why they played something, like, Mrs Spector, for example, instead.
jjon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so very wrong about Phantom Power, discoRdance! It's the only album I can think of that I listened to almost on a daily basis for a whole year after its release. Topped only by Outspaced and possibly Guerrilla, I reckon.

I'm all cooked and booked for the new year's show. Will Martin be playing? I do so hope so. Couldn't imagine a better way of spending new year's that doesn't involve serious amounts of nudity.

It's nice to be spared having to make the effort for new year's, because that only seems to lead to disappointment. Just met some friends at the pub for last year's and it was probably the best one I've had!
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

*in my opinion* Slow Life is great, and I love Out Of Control. Venus And Serena, Bleed Forever and Sex, War & Robots are good, too. I view the rest as filler by SFA standards . Golden Retriever and Hello Sunshine are far from classsic SFA singles and among the poorest songs on there. I don't dislike any of the songs, though. The DVD was a bit pointless, from a visual point of view, mind. As for Outspaced, I reckon they left off most of the good b-sides they'd released by then! Could have been so much better. Maybe it should have been a double...
jjon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree about the Phantom Power DVD, there. As for Outspaced, I think it works great on the strength of the tracks selected although, as you say, there's some died-in-the-wool classics that were left off...Calimero, Wrap It Up, Hit & Run...ah, I could go on but I won't...
Monkey Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much love for Love Kraft here is there? I think it's an ace album. The new one is pretty good too.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjon wrote:
Have to agree about the Phantom Power DVD, there. As for Outspaced, I think it works great on the strength of the tracks selected although, as you say, there's some died-in-the-wool classics that were left off...Calimero, Wrap It Up, Hit & Run...ah, I could go on but I won't...

Foxy Music...! Evil or Very Mad
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Boy wrote:
Not much love for Love Kraft here is there? I think it's an ace album. The new one is pretty good too.

I loved Love Kraft... it's comfortably superior to the albums that came immediately before and after. As much as I like Gruff's voice (which never featured as little as it did on that), it was a real band album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2