bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - I don't know if bravecaptain was the
I don't know if bravecaptain was the
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:21    Post subject: No, Reply with quote

I hear you.

I think paying for music inherently involves an incentive for you to actually listen to it. Seriously, do you think they put it out for free because it was a bad record? I've struggled with that myself, how it could "cheapen the music". But that's all from a listener's perspective right?

If we pay something for a physical record, 1) we're already invested in the record, 2) we have a physical object to show for it (with a carbon footprint btw). It's similar to the E-book thing, I personally really LOVE the feel of a physically printed book. You can bend the pages, dog-ear pages, underline, highlight, write in the margins, feel the weight in your backpack! It's goddamn glorious, but the words haven't changed.

So I think it's not so much that you haven't payed for it, but that you don't have a physical product. It's disorienting.

I'd suggest listening to "House of Cards" in a darkened room with headphones. If that doesn't work, maybe you just don't like the record!

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 02:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so much bothered about having a physical product these days. If I do buy a CD I just end up sticking it on my Ipod and never touching it again until I stand on the case and break it.

I think the subscription idea might work but it would probably be better at a record label level eg. if erm....can't think of a record label...let's say DFA said that for 5 quid a month you'd get to download all the albums and singles they they release and maybe a lovely tshirt too, I think I'd be up for it.

There was an article in Wired magazine last month about how everything's gonna be free in the future:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free

It basically involves airlines giving flights away free and then charging you 100 quid to buy a Chunky Kit Kat when you're in the air.
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't really care about physical product as much anymore - there's maybe 20/30 bands who I'll buy anything by, but as for the rest a download in the hand is worth two in a bush.

Also if I am at gigs and drunk/excited I may well head to the merchandise... - Duke Spirit on Sunday, new album is pretty good!
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev wrote:
Yeah I don't really care about physical product as much anymore - there's maybe 20/30 bands who I'll buy anything by, but as for the rest a download in the hand is worth two in a bush.

Also if I am at gigs and drunk/excited I may well head to the merchandise... - Duke Spirit on Sunday, new album is pretty good!

20/30 bands? Really? I can only think of about five bands these days where I'd definitely buy any old nonsense which they release. This is because I am old.

I saw Duke Spirit a couple of weeks ago and wasn't that impressed, she's a good lead singer though.
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
Bev wrote:

20/30 bands? Really? I can only think of about five bands these days where I'd definitely buy any old nonsense which they release. This is because I am old.

Thinking about it, at least half of that 20/30 are split up/dead. But in theory if they released anything new, I'd buy it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2