bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is good. and hopefully it'll lead to a longer stint next season than his last mini-stints have. on one of his ones 3 or 4 years ago he had an ipswich fan burn a delia smith cookbook live on the radio which is exactly what it needs!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thestar.co.uk/millers/ROTHERHAM-UNITED-QUIT-MILLMOOR-BREAKING.4135319.jp

Sad may not rank amongst the great grounds but we had a great record there... nah more than that the pub next to the ground where the barman never said anything we ordered our drinks just looked nodded and took our cash... the little alleyway down to the away end with occasional missile dodge... a covered away end with crowd barriers you could climb on and celebrate like monkeys when yer scored ("would you treat your furniture like that at home" Laughing )... broken legged dazza waving his crutches in the air when we twatted them under shilton... geordie (who, get this, wasn't from the north) travelling there n back in the boot of the car getting out of the boot when we got there barely able to stand when he got out the car and forbes was singing the tune to harold lloyd 'cos he was stuttering around like him... we were younger but never happier... millmoor was everything great about football grounds shabby, loved, proper home end, proper away end, nod to its past, strange small stands suggesting a better future...

i'll miss you millmoor and thanks for the memories.

x
Dave w.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
... the little alleyway down to the away end with occasional missile dodge...

went there once with a mate who's a watford fan, and some other friends. one got headbutted coming out of that alleyway for no reason at all, except that it left away fans like sitting ducks, coming out by the home end. good riddance!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
went there once with a mate who's a watford fan, and some other friends. one got headbutted coming out of that alleyway for no reason at all, except that it left away fans like sitting ducks, coming out by the home end. good riddance!

Not good experience but i still think its a shame that grounds like that are going to the wall and being replaced (largely there are some notable exceptions) by out of town warner village type ones. Sadly footie was dangerous at times and from Goodison Park to Ashton Gate, from Roker Park to Field Mill even with a club like ours seen/been victim of such attacks for the same stupid reasons. No excuse and the game is better that its safer now, but even though getting done at Roker Park was one of the biggest piss off's of me life (we were bottom of the league, it was midweek there were just 83 of us in a crowd of 24000 ffs!) i still preferred visiting Roker to the horrible stadium of light. and coventry's move from the great highfield road with its decent supply of local boozers to the hideous ricoh which i don't even think is in Cov... seriously i don't want a return to them bad old days but its sad when community clubs leave their home town.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with most of what you're saying, but that incident at millmoor was only about 5 years ago! not exactly in the dark ages, so it was a bit of a shock. old grounds with character are great as long as they're safe. most of the new ones are pretty soulless.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 18:37    Post subject: EURO 2008 Reply with quote

Alright then, it's time to forget the world of club football again for a month and concentrate on EURO 2008! I only realised this morning that the tournament kicks off today, and the first game, Switzerland vs. Czech Republic has just ended.
Unfortunately I'll miss a lot of games this year because of work, it's a shame because I really enjoy watching all games usually.

Switzerland 0 - 1 Czech Republic

0-1 : Sverkos 61 min

The first half was quite exciting despite of the lack of goals. Switzerland were a lot better and I thought that Czech Rep were a big disappointment. Alexander Frei [SUI] had two good chances to score but he was denied by Petr Cech [CZE] both times. I'm not the biggest fan of Alexander "Ptui!" Frei but it was sad to see him go (knee injury), he may miss the rest of the tournament which would be a big blow for Switzerland.

Switzerland started the second half quite well too, but neither team managed to create anything too dangerous... Until Sverkos, who was subbed in for Jan Koller, was left behind the Switzerland defense, and he had no trouble to put the ball into the net.

Czech were controlling the game after that, but Switzerland did get two more great chances. The referee didn't see Ujfalusi's [CZE] clear handball inside the penalty box, and only seconds later Vonlanthen [SUI] hit the crossbar with a powerful shot from about 10 yards. Very unlucky, I think 0-0 or 1-1 would have been a fair result.

Man of the match : The referee (some Italian chap). He did very well in my opinion, apart from somehow missing Ujfalusi's clear handball.

Most annoying player: Mignon, Switzerland's (almost) bald head defender. Stop whining and get a new haircut. Confused

Exclamation

Last edited by Tommy BOO on Sat Jun 07, 2008 23:45; edited 1 time in total
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm boycotting the Euro 2008 as ITV are using Gary Neville as an expert pundit. This brings shame on the tournament and Western civilisation in general. I have put a fiver on Spain to win it and Torres to be top goalscorer though so keep an eye out for him breaking his leg in the first game.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugal 2 - 0 Turkey

1-0 : Pepe 61 mins
2-0 : Meireles 90+ mins

I think this game was slightly better than the opening game earlier today. Turkey had their chances, but Portugal were much more effective and deserved to win in my opinion. Pepe already had a goal disallowed for offside on the first half, it was a bit unlucky but I think the referee made the right decision.

Turkey controlled the ball in midfield well at times, but it was Portugal who created the only dangerous chances. The Portuguese defender Pepe finally scored on the 61th minute, he ran through the Turkish defense, played a one-two with Nuno Gomes, and put the ball past Demirel into the net.

With a little bit of luck Turkey probably could have equalised, but as time was running out they were forced to attack more, and Portugal scored their second goal from a counter-attack. C.Ronaldo got the ball on the left wing, passed the ball to Moutinho who turned with the ball beautifully and left it for Raul Meireles, who had no trouble scoring to an empty net.

Before that, Portugal had chances to score at least 2 or 3 more goals. Cristiano Ronaldo's free kick hit the right post on the first half, and on the second half Nuno Gomes hit the post twice. Surprised

Tomorrow should be even more interesting. Smile

Man of the match : Pepe - he was solid in defense, had one goal disallowed, and then scored the winning goal.

Interesting Observation of the day : Luis Felipe Scolari looks like Gene Hackman. Confused
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austria 0 - 1 Croatia

0-1 : Modric (pen) - 4 mins.

Half time thoughts :
I didn't expect much from this game, but it's been a decent one so far.
Croatia got a penalty on the 3rd minute of the game when Ivica Olic was brought down inside the area, and Luka Modric put the ball calmly into the net. A deserved penalty in my opinion.
Croatia dominated the game for the first 30 minutes and had a couple of semi-decent chances, but Austria were excellent for the last 15 minutes. They managed to create three or four excellent chances (mostly from corner kicks and free kicks), and even though Pletikosa (the Croatian goalkeeper) didn't have much to do, Austria really should have scored at least one goal.
Croatia has been a small disappointment so far, or maybe Austria are better than I expected... Croatians need to cut some of the diving and over-dramatic falling though, they've only done it a couple of times now, but they'll lose sympathy points from me if they keep doing that.

I predict that the Austrian defender Pogatetz will be sent off on the second half, he was already quite lucky not to be sent off after first getting a yellow card for complaining about the penalty, and then pulling Olic down from the shirt.

Full time thoughts :
What a disappointment for Austria, they were the better side on the second half, but despite of creating loads of good chances, they failed to score. If they only had a decent striker, they could have won this game...
Croatia were only defending on the second half, which was also disappointing. Oh well, they'd better improve or they won't get very far.

Man of the match : Ivica Olic [CRO]
His work rate, especially on the first half, was fantastic, and he also got the penalty for his team.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany 1 - 0 Poland

1-0 : Podolski - 20 mins.
2-0 : Podolski - 72 mins.

First half :
I must say that Germany were very impressive. Poland has a decent team, but Germany has dominated the game so far. Klose and Gomez missed a great chance on the first half when they both got through on the left wing with only Boruc to beat, but Klose's pass to Gomez wasn't good enough and Gomez narrowly missed the goal. Klose really should have shot and scored instead.
About 10 minutes later Germany got another chance like that, this time from the right wing. Ballack chipped the ball beautifully to Mario Gomez, who made a great through pass to Klose... Klose was through on goal with Podolski on his left side, and Klose decided to pass again. This time the pass was good enough and Podolski had no trouble to score 1-0.

Germany kept on controlling the game, and Poland got only one good chance during the first 45 minutes, when Zurawski tried to shoot straight from a low cross to the box, but he couldn't hit the ball properly and the shot went wide.

Second half :
It looked like Poland could get back into the game at the beginning of the second half, but the Germans were solid in defence. Germany concentrated on defending their lead and it worked, they were never in danger, because Poland had a very poor game.
The 2-0 goal by Podolski came on the 72th minute, when a Polish defender (can't remember who) stupidly lost the ball to Schweinsteiger, Schweinsteiger chipped the ball to Klose who tried a volley, but completely missed it, and the ball bounced high in the air... and landed on Podolski's right foot mid-air, and Podolski volleyed it beautifully into the top-left corner of the goal. The best goal of the tournament so far, even though it was perhaps a bit lucky.

Man of the Match : Lukas Podolski - 2 excellent goals!

Interesting Thought of the Day: If John-Arne Riise and Oliver Kahn had a baby together, he would look like the Polish midfielder Krzynowek. Confused

Exclamation

Last edited by Tommy BOO on Sun Jun 08, 2008 20:48; edited 1 time in total
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Player of the day and tune of the day: Lu! Lu! Lu! Lukas Podolski!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=koFOz6gMgtU
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that Poland had a goal ruled out for offside at the beginning of the 2nd half... It was a tough decision by the referee surely, but if that goal hadn't been disallowed, the game would have been totally different... well, obviously. Razz
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

France 0 - 0 Romania

Didn't see this game, not even the highlights.
From what I've heard, I guess I didn't miss much though...

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland 3 - 0 Italy

1-0 Van Nistelrooy - 26 mins
2-0 Sneijder - 31 mins
3-0 Van Bronckhorst - 79 mins

Easily the best game of the tournament so far, and what a performance by Holland! The scoreline could have easily been even better for Holland, they were simply so much better than Italy at everything. What happened to the "best defence in the world"? Cannavaro's injury alone can't explain this result.

The opening goal came on the 26th minute - Holland crossed the ball inside the box and Buffon tried to punch it away (but knocked out his team mate Panucci instead)... Sneijder got the ball at the edge of the box and shot a low ball that would have missed the goal, but Ruud van Nistelrooy (the master of controversial offside goals) was standing right in front of the goal and deflected the ball in. Italian players all thought that it's offside, but because Panucci was still lying injured behind the goal, apparently it wasn't. Classic. Very Happy

Five minutes later Holland scored again. Holland broke into a quick counter-attack after Italy's corner kick, Dirk Kuyt passed the ball to Wesley Sneijder inside the box after some really nice passing, and Sneijder blasted the ball to the front corner past Buffon. Goal of the tournament so far?

Van Nistelrooy should have scored another goal just before the half-time whistle, when Sneijder's through ball found him and RVN had only Buffon to beat, but this time Buffon saved Italy from more embarrassment.

Italy were slightly better at the beginning of the second half, but I think Holland was still controlling the game. Both teams created a lot of chances and it was really enjoyable to watch. Luca Toni wasted two good chances, his finishing was poor today.

Holland's third goal was very much like the second goal, another quick counter-attack. This time Kuyt got through on goal but Buffon blocked his shot... However Kuyt got to the rebound and crossed the ball in front of the goal where Giovanni van Bronckhorst was left completely unmarked, and he headed the ball in.

Men of the Match : Wesley Sneijder was probably Holland's best player today, one goal, one assist, a lot of important passes and some amazing skill. The whole Holland team was great though, Edwin Van Der Sar made a couple of important saves, Van Bronckhorst worked his socks off, and the defence worked surprisingly well.

Another person who really did his job well was the Swedish referee... a tough line where the referee doesn't give a free kick for every little touch was perfect for a match like this. It looked like the Italians especially weren't used for that. Razz

Question of the Day : What's the difference between Holland and Netherlands? Confused Someone please tell me.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain 4-1 Russia

1-0 Villa - 20 mins
2-0 Villa - 45 mins
3-0 Villa - 75 mins
3-1 Pavluchenko - 81 mins
4-1 Fabregas - 90 mins

Didn't see this game either, saw the goals though so I guess it was an exciting game. discoRdance was raving about "Torres' part in the first goal", but looks like it was David Villa who stole the show.

First hat-trick of the tournament - well done Mr Villa.

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 131 of 143