bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - THe Cure - 4:13 Dream
THe Cure - 4:13 Dream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 18:42    Post subject: THe Cure - 4:13 Dream Reply with quote

Anyone else still care for The Cure?

4:13 Dream is probably their best since Wish. It's probably better than Wish in fact, which was the first of their albums that started to sound "Cure by numbers". That's not to say 4:13 Dream isn't a damn fine album in it's own right, it's just not a Disintegration or Kiss Me. Kind of like how Wake Up and C'mon Kids aren't Giant Steps.
The more guitar driven sound does put a different slant on Uncle Bob's songs. Porl Thompson and Robert Smith do make a good noise together it has to be said. I suppose The Cure had a very "big" sound by the time they got to the height of their success, this strips it down a bit. More like they were circa The Top and Concert. Funnily enough, when Porl was with them the first time.

The mastering is a bit much. Everything's full blast and it's very compressed with no variation in sound between the songs. I've found that if I crank up the treble and turn down the bass it sounds OK though. Otherwise it's very muddy.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 02:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, The Cure are one of those bands that I've never really got into... I've only got their Greatest Hits album somewhere though, but I haven't played it for years. Maybe I'll give it another go tonight. I have no idea what their new stuff is like, I thought that the band has split up ages ago.

I'm going to see Hanoi Rocks live next weekend, they announced a few weeks ago that Hanoi Rocks will be no more after their current tour, so it'll be both great and a bit sad to see them for the last time. I must admit that their last two "new" albums weren't that great though apart from the singles, so I hope they'll play some of the old classics as well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1