bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I had regained my faith in football after the Man City chapter and things were looking good for Barnsley again, the FA reminds me again why I really hate them.

The Barnsley striker Iain Hume is still lying in the ICU in the hospital with a fractured skull, more than three days after getting elbowed in the face by the Sheffield United captain Chris Morgan. Have a look at the poor quality video replay here.

That video makes my blood boil for many reasons.
First of all, I can't believe how a so-called "Premiership referee" Andy D'Urso could only give a yellow card for that. He should have given him a straight red (or then nothing at all, if he didn't see the incident), so to say that he bottled it is the nice way to put it. Now, according to their stupid rules, the FA can't do anything about it as D'Urso already booked him. Remember when Paolo Di Canio was suspended for 10+ games when he "just" pushed the referee? If we compare that to the Morgan incident, Morgan should be banned for life!

Chris Morgan isn't even trying to jump or play the ball there, it's so obvious that he's only trying to take the man out. When you look at the video you can see that Hume is almost lying on the ground already when the ball eventually gets to Morgan! That already is so disgusting, but you don't just break anyone's skull by "accident" either, which makes this incident even more sickening. I also find it unbelievable that Neil "W*nker" Warnock is actually defending Morgan and saying that Hume ran into him.

But because Simon Davey, the Barnsley manager, dared to criticise the referee's decision in public, the FA seems to focus on their ridiculous "Respect the Ref" campaign instead. While I agree that the players should respect the referee and the constant whining about the offside decisions and disallowed goals may be a bit annoying sometimes, the referees still have to earn the respect. And we're talking about a life-threatening injury here, not just some disallowed goal. I don't even bother mentioning some of the other mistakes that D'Urso made during the game, but I think it's fair to say that Barnsley lost the match because of some of those decisions... My "Fuck the FA" campaign starts here...

I don't even care about the loss of points so much, to be honest, I'm just genuinely worried about Iain Hume - this could be the end of his career. Petr Cech still has to wear the headguard more than two years after his injury, and apparently will have to wear it until the end of his playing career... but he doesn't have to play the ball with his head as he's a goalkeeper! It's also a massive blow for Barnsley of course, as Hume is our current top scorer and our biggest signing for 10 years.

Apparently Barnsley are considering taking legal action against Chris Morgan and Sheffield United. I don't usually like it when football related things are taken to the court, but then again, we're talking about a very serious injury here. So personally I don't think it would be out of order at all, especially if the FA don't do anything about it. If I assaulted some bystander on the street and broke his skull, I'd be locked up at the moment. And while I do understand that football is a physical game, this incident goes far beyond what is acceptable. Sheffield United have banged on and on about the 30 million pound compensation for being relegated, so if Barnsley get relegated this season, couldn't they sue Sheffield United as well...?

The saddest thing is that I can already see the outcome of all this. Simon Davey will get suspended and fined for daring to criticise a grossly incompetent referee in public. Chris Morgan will be banned for three games (that is, if they even decide to review the incident), and Andy D'Urso won't be punished at all.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've also changed my mind about "video refereeing" now.
I know it takes football even further away from it roots and for technical reasons it won't be possible everywhere, but I think they should at least give it a go, just to prevent incidents like this.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

crikey it was almost a bc board reunion in norf london on saturday...

anyhoo the emirates contributes to my view that NEW GROUNDS SUCK! yeah there was leg room and a comfortable seat but it had as much soul as yer average Academy venue and, amazingly, it had crapper toilet facilities, it certainly couldn't cope with a club with as larger drinking following as Argyles!

No way near as stylish or elegant as Highbury and not even fit to be compared to Huddersfield's ground in terms of architectual beauty... their welcome to it, though i'll admit the Arse are by some distance the most techincally comfortable side in english footie and i wish more of our sides went for technique over athleticism.
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
crikey it was almost a bc board reunion in norf london on saturday...

anyhoo the emirates contributes to my view that NEW GROUNDS SUCK! yeah there was leg room and a comfortable seat but it had as much soul as yer average Academy venue and, amazingly, it had crapper toilet facilities, it certainly couldn't cope with a club with as larger drinking following as Argyles!

No way near as stylish or elegant as Highbury and not even fit to be compared to Huddersfield's ground in terms of architectual beauty... their welcome to it, though i'll admit the Arse are by some distance the most techincally comfortable side in english footie and i wish more of our sides went for technique over athleticism.

The seats at the Emirates are so big that I forgive them the total lack of atmosphere there. I love big seats.

I've got myself a half season ticket at Fulham, my first game was yesterday. Or rather it wasn't it due to it being a bit cold. Sitting a in pub all afternoon was much more fun than sitting in a stadium being vaguely disappointed by Danny Murphy though.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big seats were bonkers. Every time I had to grab the seat to sit down again I kept missing it as it was so high, I'm used to the more normal bum barely fits on it seat which have a lower grab point.

Craven Cottage is lovely. One of my fave grounds. FH and me discussed the merits of London football grounds before the Arse game and concluded:

highbury was best

but orient and barnet were the best trips and had the best pre-match boozers/booze ups... though the worlds end was a decent pre Arse pub.

dagenham has the best pre-match chippy though!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and forgot to add a belated yes tommy boo that elbow was disgraceful and nearly as bad as the duncan ferguson one that ended up with him being sent to jail.

and...

how great is it linesman disallowing goals 'cos they just don't look right. heck my fave goals are mazy dribbles, volleys, diving headers and ones coming from a goal mouth scramble or are of comedy value. all others - unless scored by Argyle Smile - should be disallowed and, heck, if i were a lino i would try to disallow 'em!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
The big seats were bonkers. Every time I had to grab the seat to sit down again I kept missing it as it was so high, I'm used to the more normal bum barely fits on it seat which have a lower grab point.

The big seats were brilliant, they made me feel like Ronnie Corbett. For me, that's a good thing.

Fulham have sold Bullard, I'm considering returning my season ticket without having seen a game there.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/audio/2009/jan/28/mick-mccarthy-wolves-rant

made me laugh Laughing
discoRdance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 18:45    Post subject: good one, Mr Boo. Reply with quote

so, the big story on transfer deadline day is...

Liverpool's Adam Hammill signs on loan for Barnsley

Exclamation
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Re: good one, Mr Boo. Reply with quote

discoRdance wrote:
so, the big story on transfer deadline day is...

Liverpool's Adam Hammill signs on loan for Barnsley

Exclamation

I think Rafa has been so busy being angry recently that he's forgotten that the transfer window has closed and he can't sign another striker. Incredibly we only seem to have one. Obviously if you're only gonna have one striker it may as well be the best and most handsome striker in the world but if his hamstrings go again then I'm worried by the prospect of David Ngog carrying our treble hopes on his young shoulders.

While we're on the subject of 1960's Canadian singer songwriters, what's the board's favourite Neil Young album?
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa is dead to me now.

'after the goldrush' - always and forever x
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

ay well if its any consolation - which it won't be but i'll type it none the less - we've only got half a striker, well 'alf's generous seeing as mpenza has played for argyle just a little more than i 'ave!

back to fulham...

i think hodgson has played a shrewd game off loading Bullard. i like him and he is a good player but good managers seem to offload players just as they are passing their peak (fergie with Ince and Beckham for e.g) and i just think the contract he reputedly wanted and the offer hull made was just ready to accept. fulham seem to play nice football without him and johnson is always good value for a penalty incident so i'd keep yer season ticket.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Re: good one, Mr Boo. Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
I think Rafa has been so busy being angry recently that he's forgotten that the transfer window has closed and he can't sign another striker. Incredibly we only seem to have one. Obviously if you're only gonna have one striker it may as well be the best and most handsome striker in the world but if his hamstrings go again then I'm worried by the prospect of David Ngog carrying our treble hopes on his young shoulders.

maybe he can recall Voronin from his loan spell? Neutral

Dirk Kuyt has done okay when played up front this season. And at least Gerrard scores more than his fair share. If only Benayoun was as lively as he was in his cameo against Chelsea all the time...
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravecaptain wrote:
rafa is dead to me now.

you'll have to elaborate on that revelation Razz

maybe tomorrow we'll see Benitez saying, "And? bravecaptain is dead to me now, too... He said he was dead a while back anyway."

Exclamation
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 00:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight was bad, I always hope that every mediocre performance will lead to them getting their act together for the next game but it doesn't seem to happen. We should spend the 12 million we got for Keane on scientific research into cloning Gerrard as without him we don't seem to have a clue.

bravecaptain wrote:
'after the goldrush' - always and forever x

I'll get on it. I've been 'Harvest'-ing for the past couple of days and it's turned me into even more melancholic John Mc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 138 of 143