bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Bad Vibes: Britpop and Luke Haines' Part in Its Downfall
Bad Vibes: Britpop and Luke Haines' Part in Its Downfall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billycasper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 23:40    Post subject: Bad Vibes: Britpop and Luke Haines' Part in Its Downfall Reply with quote

Ok, so I've spent the last few days lameting the fact luke haines has been so quiet of late at a time when i really feel like we need him most. i've just discovered he's got a memoir on the way. can't wait. and as if that wasn't exciting enough, amazon claims "In acerbic, hilarious prose he tells of gigs in France with Pulp and the Boo Radleys". no publication date quoted, so don't expect to actually see this until about next summer at least. in the meantime, any chance martin can pre-empt this and use his own talents to tell in acerbic, hilarious prose of gigs in france with the auteurs?

peace out, y'all,
billyxo
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's been too long since Haines's last album 'Off My Rocke...' (which if you haven't got I advise you to check out).

Have you seen the cover for the book - even that's hilarious:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0434018465/ref=dp_image_0/280-2975916-2362847?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 08:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can quite honestly say that I don't remember ever playing with The Auteurs or meeting Mr Haines. Looking forward to the book though. x
Bev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravecaptain wrote:
I can quite honestly say that I don't remember ever playing with The Auteurs or meeting Mr Haines. Looking forward to the book though. x

They were supposed to be a bit poor live weren't they, The Auteurs? Not sure why as I saw Haines live solo a few years back, and it was a brilliant gig (in front of maybe 12 people(.
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a brilliant front cover for a book. Good moustache action too, I think I'm gonna go for a bit of that when I shave off my current hobo-esque beard.

Loud Guitars Are Still Ace Tune Of The Day (again) - Teen Creeps by No Age.
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
That's a brilliant front cover for a book. Good moustache action too, I think I'm gonna go for a bit of that when I shave off my current hobo-esque beard.

Loud Guitars Are Still Ace Tune Of The Day (again) - Teen Creeps by No Age.

He had that tache when I saw him; like many a good thing, it is better live.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this calls for a '1001 moustaches you have to see before you die' thread.

Number 1: The players in Sensible Soccer.
Number 2: Ned Flanders

etc..etc...etc...
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I think most of that 1001 could be found here:

http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/
Bev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 18:39    Post subject: Re: Bad Vibes: Britpop and Luke Haines' Part in Its Downfall Reply with quote

billycasper wrote:
Ok, so I've spent the last few days lameting the fact luke haines has been so quiet of late at a time when i really feel like we need him most. i've just discovered he's got a memoir on the way. can't wait. and as if that wasn't exciting enough, amazon claims "In acerbic, hilarious prose he tells of gigs in France with Pulp and the Boo Radleys". no publication date quoted, so don't expect to actually see this until about next summer at least. in the meantime, any chance martin can pre-empt this and use his own talents to tell in acerbic, hilarious prose of gigs in france with the auteurs?

peace out, y'all,
billyxo

Hmmmm, he's not very complimentary though. Don't read if easily offended by people dissing Giant Steps.... Funny though.
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought that book at the weekend, I've not started reading it yet but I didn't realise it had anti-Giant Steps content. The woman in HMV didn't tell me about that. I feel uneasy and confused about it now.
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
I bought that book at the weekend, I've not started reading it yet but I didn't realise it had anti-Giant Steps content. The woman in HMV didn't tell me about that. I feel uneasy and confused about it now.

I know. It wasn't even on the top shelf in Waterstones. I mean, kids could have picked it up and everything.
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he slags off Giant Steps then I'm boycotting it, it's as simple as that.

I've made a placard and I'm going into London today to protest outside Waterstones...

Placard says "Luke Haines is a CUNT" .... witty eh....?

...erm chant will be... "What do we want?...We want Luke Haines book that slags off the Boo Radleys burnt....When do we want it...?....NOW!! "

Could become a whole new "Satanic Verses" situation.
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 09:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bored with that book after a couple of chapters, his knowingly sneery tone just annoyed me.

But you know what does annoy me? The new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, that's what. It's a fine pop thing.
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 09:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....and the combination of smug look, big moustache and deckchair always makes me despise a man.
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I liked it, despite the Boos blasphemy...

In fairness, I think from his foreword, it's very much a book of his views then, rather than now. And I think he admits later on the size of his ego and nastiness. Well, to an extent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2