bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - YE GODS (AND LITTLE FISHES)
YE GODS (AND LITTLE FISHES)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:32    Post subject: YE GODS (AND LITTLE FISHES) Reply with quote

Please excuse the capital letters in the subject, I'm listening to the new Martin Carr album that I just downloaded, and can't hear my own thoughts so I got to type louder...

All the songs on the album have been on Martin's myspace page for ages, but I tried not to play them too much so that they would still sound fresh when the album eventually gets released. (I'm pretty sure that I haven't heard 'Golden Key' before though!) It took a bit longer than I expected, but I'm glad that I decided to wait patiently - in fact the songs sound even better now that I've bought the album with my hard-earned money. Razz

You can download "Ye Gods" in two different file formats: MP3 or FLAC. I chose FLAC because of the lossless sound quality, but I would have thought that once you buy the album, you could download it in both formats, but apparently that's not the case. Well, of course I can convert the files on MP3 later if I like, but just downloading them would have been a bit more convenient.

The booklet (with lyrics for each song) looks great, but I'm seriously going to need some help with printing it! If I just chuck some paper in my printer, load the pdf file in Adobe Reader and print it, surely it doesn't come right? Or is that even supposed to be a printable CD booklet? I'm genuinely confused. Laughing (A printable "cd sticker" would have been nice too)

Now what else could I complain about? Hmm, did I remember to mention that the album is pretty good? Well, it is quite excellent, so get on Martin's website and buy&download yours...!

http://www.martin-carr.com

Exclamation
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 07:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I NEVER download usually (apart from the odd free track, or Fanfarlo for $1) However in Martin's case I will make an exception.

I was hoping for a CD..or vinyl...but never mind...

Now tech experts (that's you Tommy BOO) if I download in FLAC will it go on my ipod...?

I liked it best when you got on the train went into town and bought these things...returning home with a carrier bag full of plastic joy! (and some records - arf!)

It's 5p for a carrier bag now y'know.... more than an OAP can stand...etc...
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 07:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfiresky wrote:
Now tech experts (that's you Tommy BOO) if I download in FLAC will it go on my ipod...?

Nope! As far as I know, none of the iPods can play FLAC files.

But of course you can burn the FLAC files on a CD, and then rip the songs on MP3 and put them on your iPod... That's what I'm gonna do!

The difference between MP3 and FLAC formats is that FLAC is a lossless file format, whereas MP3 is a lossy format...

FLAC files have "perfect" sound quality but the files are much bigger in size, and they're not compatible with most music players... but it's the ideal format if you're going to burn the songs on a CD.

MP3s are much smaller in size because the files have been compressed, but as a result the sound quality has suffered a little. However, I would imagine that the MP3 files in Sonny Boy Record Shop are very high-quality too, so in practice you won't hear the difference between the FLAC and MP3 files. Smile
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah agree its a shame you can't have both formats - on the longcuts new one you do get both though - badly - you have a limited download time which you don't get with this. i was surprised to see me other greedbag purchases still are still downloadable so that's well fair.

whilst i suspect i'll be the one yelling BRING BACK THE LAPTOP Laughing at the gigs 'cos i'll always love his electrical experimentation, ye gods is pretty lovely and proves - again - what all of us here have known - there are few if any songwriters who consistently produces such beautifully crafted pop songs. and running is up there with his finest ever. and goldrush 49 is hook perfection.

oh and really like the black serpent choir song as well.
Bev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've only had a chance to listen to it once, but it's ace I think... Some random thoughts so far: the drumbeat on the opener seems almost tongue-in-cheek similar to Wake Up Boo... ; can't his wife sing well...; Goldrush 49 my favourite at this early stage...; and yes, the Black Serpent Choir one on the sampler is really great.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get the sampler? Confused

I've bought the album and subscribed on the mailing list, but I thought I would just have to wait patiently for a download link to appear in my e-mail inbox.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i ordered it i also added the sampler to my basket and it then worked out the discount for me - i think you had to add it as it didn't automatically go in. don't know if there's anyway in which you can claim it after you've ordered the MC album - might be worth emailing greedbag.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

duh... the sampler offer wasn't there yet when I ordered the album yesterday (in fact "Ye Gods" was the only item in the store), they must have added it after that!

Oh well, I probably deserve this for being too greedy and ordering the album as soon as it appeared in the store... shouldn't greedbag reward buyers for being greedy though, and not the other way around? Razz

I'm not sure what I can do, but perhaps I'll send an email to someone as soon as I know what to say and to whom should I send it to.

Did anyone get a download link or something after subscribing on the mailing list?

Question
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have listened twice and I really like it..but always knew I would...
Melz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I can break my silence now..

A friend of mine picked up a promo CD of 'Ye Gods' from an independent record shop a couple of weeks back and let me have a listen. Unfortunately, it being a sleeveless promo that had been scuffed and scratched, certain tracks kept on skipping but it didn't detract from the wonderful songs.

Having now heard the album the way it was intended, I have to say what a corker it is! Album highlights for me are 'The Dead of Winter', 'Orpheus Lament' and 'The Golden Key'. And an extra special bit of praise for 'Why you Gotta Bring Me All This Rain'.. still one of the most sublime musical moments of the year. Exclamation

As for the sampler, great Black Serpent track and the extra MC song is really good. But seriously, how good does 'Whatever Happened To the Fingertip Saint' still sound? Very Happy
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
yeah agree its a shame you can't have both formats

If you've got a Mac then this application will convert big chunky FLAC files to big chunky WAV files and them itunes can convert WAV files to snack size MP3 files:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23430/x-lossless-decoder

If you've got a PC then stick a cassette recorder next to the speaker when you're playing your FLAC file, press 'REC" and this will convert it into a 'cassette' format you can play on your Walkman.

YGalf TOTD: The Golden Key.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 09:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem's like I'm the only one disappointed then. For anyone that's read the review in The Fly, I'm sorry to say I agree with every word of it. For those that haven't, here's a couple of quotes:

"Ye Gods.. is not bad particularly, but it has a stunning knack for medium paced dreariness."

"Nice vocal harmonies and arrangements aside, this is a missed opportunity for Carr to be re-instated and the indie demi-god he should have been."

Still, one foot wrong in 20 years isn't bad no? Wink

x
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh By The Way, it's album of the day on Radio 6 today.

x
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Seem's like I'm the only one disappointed then. For anyone that's read the review in The Fly, I'm sorry to say I agree with every word of it. For those that haven't, here's a couple of quotes:

"Ye Gods.. is not bad particularly, but it has a stunning knack for medium paced dreariness."

"Nice vocal harmonies and arrangements aside, this is a missed opportunity for Carr to be re-instated and the indie demi-god he should have been."

Still, one foot wrong in 20 years isn't bad no? Wink

x

Maybe it's too 'nice' for you... Sounds like the Black Serpent Choir stuff might be more up your alley.

Personally, I think it's really, really good.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin was live on BBC Radio Wales (Alan Thompson's Evening Show) on Monday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/sites/eveningshow/

The live session will be available until tomorrow (Monday 20th July) only, so hurry up if you want to hear it.

There's also an exclusive online video of Martin playing Goldrush'49... which isn't available in my country. Confused If anyone figures out how to record the video, let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2