bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Mew Nusic
Mew Nusic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:33    Post subject: Mew Nusic Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'll be buying four or five CD's this week. Other than Wilco, what else should I be enhancing my life with?

Cheers Razz

K x
Bev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head:

Fits - White Denim
Get Yr Blood Sucked Out - Viva Voce
Polly Scattergood

are all good.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

best year for albums in ages... well at least since last year, the end of this decade is producing some gems.

i'd recommend:

open hearts by the longcut - better produced then their debut, tunes are a bit stonger and its essentially a clubbers guitar record with the odd nodd to aphex twin, underworld and any great riff band!

civilized by stellastar* - great third album from this largely overlooked Crying or Very sad art school indie band, hopefully they'll tour the uk again soon!

dancemother by telepathe - largely down tempo but occasionally beat filled electronic album of beauty and some really nice tunes

lemonade by lemonade - perfect dance journey - some of it works well in isolation but its better as a whole

aurora by the deer tracks - astonishing big sweeping moody music from scandanavia. possibly a bit sigor ros but more there early kind of stuff

primary colours by the horrors - the best primal scream album since xtrmntr, utterly utterly superb and, unusally, the hype is spot on.

another city another sorry by the answering machine / pains of being pure at heart by pains of being pure at heart / unknown colours by sad day for puppets - all three are gems, very very c86. answering machine has the shoutiest strongest chrous' (and their very lovely people who deserve to make a living out of music), sad day for puppets offers the most variety and pains of being pure at heart has the best riffs. all are worth it.

a baloon called moaning by the joy formidable - you can download if for free from their myspace but its pretty cheap anyway and they deserve the cash. its kinda like the breeders i s'pose. nice n energetic.

whatcha playin' by brooklyn funk essentials - its in the name

there's a new kyte album out in japan only that is ace if ya can find it and its up there with this years finest - if ya haven't got anything buy them seek out their mini debut which is maps/sigor ros.

let us know what you think of wilco - i aven't got it. yet.

off to order the xx and julian plenti now!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a full hour in the big HMV on Oxford Street yesterday trying to find an album I wanted to buy. In the end I gave up, went across the road and bought a pasty. You should definitely buy a pasty, they're great.

'City Limits Volume 1' by Silkie is ace if you're in the right mood. That mood is slightly hungover and depressed due to losing on the only day of the season. You can listen to it here:
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/info?track=medicd002
Kris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
a baloon called moaning by the joy formidable - you can download if for free from their myspace but its pretty cheap anyway and they deserve the cash. its kinda like the breeders i s'pose. nice n energetic.

My superstar brother got me a signed copy of it after meeting Ritzy at the Manchester gig Smile

Can anyone recommend the definitive Ride album?
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spent a full hour in the big HMV on Oxford Street yesterday trying to find an album I wanted to buy. In the end I gave up, went across the road and bought a pasty. You should definitely buy a pasty, they're great

can't go wrong with that, though not sure you can get a decent pasty that far north Laughing

Quote:
My superstar brother got me a signed copy of it after meeting Ritzy at the Manchester gig

Can anyone recommend the definitive Ride album?

wish my bruv was that cool, though he did pay for me to go and watch argyle at rotherham once, that was pretty of ace of him to be fair.

nowhere. just 'cos beautiful though twisterella is, they never did better than taste.
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so I already had Pains / Joy F and HMV don't "do" Telepathe or Lemonade (I'll hopefully get these online soon), so today I bought:

Patrick Wolf - The Bachelor (not heard dit yet)
Soulsavers - Broken (WOW!)

Wilco - The Album - I've been Spotifying the hell out of it for 4 weeks and really like it. It sounds somewhere between "Ghost" and "Sky Blue Sky". Bull Black Nova is just awesome!

Dinosaur Jr - Farm. Thnink you can guess what this sound s like Wink

and finally, Ride - Best Of - has both Taste and Twisteralla - WIN!

K x
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride are fucking incredible! I can't believe I missed out on them for so long!!

K x
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride were fucking awesome.

Loved them since Chelsea Girl In 1989.

can't believe they are totally overlooked now...bit like The Boos.
Bev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfiresky wrote:
Ride were fucking awesome.

Loved them since Chelsea Girl In 1989.

can't believe they are totally overlooked now...bit like The Boos.

Not quite sure they were quite as good with the 3rd & 4th albums though... (Ride, not the Boos).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1