bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Giant Steps 20th anniversary
Giant Steps 20th anniversary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 16:04    Post subject: Giant Steps 20th anniversary Reply with quote

So the Giant Steps 20th anniversary (Aug 31st) came and went, and no one noticed a thing... or so I thought, until I noticed this:

http://www.diversevinyl.com/news.php?id=b56211be4da8a5f5f2cc7a78d1582c43

For those of you (yes, all two and a half of you who will ever read this) who are too lazy to click links, here's the important stuff:

Quote:
Diverse Records announce their first ever LP reissue, marking the 20th Anniversary of this modern classic! Working closely with Martin Carr and the original sleeve designer, we've put together a superb heavyweight deluxe version of this long out of print classic, available NOW!

That's pretty awesome, I might have to get this reissue since I've never owned Giant Steps on vinyl. Can't believe that it's already been 10 years since the launch of the 10th anniversary mini-site when this whole place was still buzzing. And 20 years since the original release... Shocked

Time waits for nobody, like Freddie Mercury used to say. Happy birthday, Fred! Razz
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy....where do all those years go?

Cheers for this I'll buy a copy!
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was still working in an office for the 10th anniversary, which seems ages ago, but probably not 10 years!
Still sounds just as good that album, and still inspires me!
Listening to All Watched Over.. today which made me think to pop back here - hello anyone who looks in! Smile
Time does fly by doesn't it? But as long as you keep on doing fun, different and interesting things then all is well! xx
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its three of us who've read this now! excellent news, one to buy when I move back to the uk next year, a nice welcome home present and it'll be the first to get played on my turntable when I dig it out again Smile

heaven knows where the years went, but luckily most of them included good, good times. and the boo's/martin music were an integral part of that.

godspeed.

x
Bev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I remember when that Giant Steps mini-site was on here, and I was checking this board every single day...

And another ten years since that has passed. God damn.

Hope everyone is well who still checks here now and again.
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought this....eye watering £32 with postage...no doubt it will be worth every penny!
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it arrived incredibly quickly and it's quite a lovely item

Made me shudder when taking the discs out of the sleeves, strange flashback to August 1993 when I was at HMV in Brum at 8.30am waiting to purchase, racing it home on the bus to put the records on....day off work for the big event back then.

First Boos record I bought was Every Heaven EP in 1991, by the release of EAF I really loved the band. All the reviews for GS had been exceptional and "I Hang Suspended" had left me looking forward to the big event.

That single was such a departure after the hazy stuff that preceeded it.

Such a very young man then....so middle aged now....where did the last 20yrs and 3 months go!!!

Anyway sentimental whimsy aside, the records are heavier the sleeve is BOLDER (I've compared the two) the inside of the gatefold is more orange than peach (easier to read lyrics) and the tracklisting text on the back is now white instead of amber...much easier to read.

I'll get the headphones on and give it a listen with a beer tonight and report back further.

Incidentally I've only seen one review in the printed press for the album "Record Collector" gave it a very positive four stars.

Bet this reissue doesn't even sell 250 worldwide....whats the matter with music lovers today??!!
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scan of an old Select magazine article about Giant Steps:

http://selectmagazinescans.monkeon.co.uk/showpage.php?file=wp-content/uploads/2010/11/boo2.jpg

Christ, this makes me feel old. (Even thinking about Select magazine makes me feel old.) But happy, too, because godamnit Giant Steps is still in my life, and still amazing.[/i]
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 08:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that article Bev...really enjoyed it!!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first page of that Select magazine article:
http://selectmagazinescans.monkeon.co.uk/showpage.php?file=wp-content/uploads/2010/11/boo1.jpg

I've got a pile of old Select magazines lying around somewhere in my parents' house, I should find those some time and see if there's any Boo stuff.

Does anyone actually read music magazines anymore?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfiresky wrote:
Bet this reissue doesn't even sell 250 worldwide....whats the matter with music lovers today??!!
Even I haven't bought it... yet. It's all my fault. Embarassed

Good to see you all here by the way, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic reading these posts of yours. I still visit this forum quite regularly (I did that even when there were no new posts for almost a year - sad I know!), I'm just too lazy to log in and post anything these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1