bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - noam chomsky
noam chomsky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 15:27    Post subject: noam chomsky Reply with quote

who the hell is he?
well in fact i know something about him, i've seen his name mentioned on this messageboard a couple of times, and i've been wondering how do you know him... Confused
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's an American interlectual, he does work in both linguistics but also political theory I guess you'd call it, which is why Radiohead and everyone name drop him...

Heavy going... but generally worth it... I like him because what he says is quite logical & restrained, not ranting & passionate...
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the voice at the start of corporation man .

Very down to earth guy and possibly the biggest name in modern language theory. He also has some very common sense views on politics and globalisation which the reactionary right in the States are quick to label farfetched commy shit talk.

Here in Ireland we are lucky enough to have a radio show called the last word, which strives to give everybody a chance to air their vies in calm and thoughtful arguments. Chomsky was asked to air his views on the show a few times, and was so impressed by the in depth manner subjects were discussed, he can now be heard quite regularly on the show.

Keep an eye out for him on newsnight on BBC2, and he also regularly lectures at different colleges worldwide. His books take up considerable shelf space in any decent library too. Supposedly he is a very amicable and approachable guy.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev wrote:
I like him because what he says is quite logical & restrained, not ranting & passionate...

So passionate is a negative thing? I'm not so sure. I am myself more of the restrained type, on the outside, but I don't think people who present a point of view with passion or ranting or anger are less valid in their point.

I like all Americans who have the guts to speak up against all the problems in their country and culture, it sounds better when it comes from within Smile

Love and Peace
darraghm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill tell ya something funny about chomsky.
(i) There were these two anarchist girls on my psychology course and they got all excited about linguistic theory because chomsky is the big guy in that course. I'mn not sure what they expected but it was probably something along the lines of Linguistics: The anti-capitalist approach. Anyway they spent the rest of the year cursing the course and disowning chomsky for being such a boring fuck.
(ii) In another big Dublin university, Chomsky was given an honourary fellowship. A week later the slippery old guy who plays face in the a-team came. There were loads of empty seats to see Chomsky, but when ateam guy came the place was so packed that people were swining out of the door!
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
So passionate is a negative thing? I'm not so sure. I am myself more of the restrained type, on the outside, but I don't think people who present a point of view with passion or ranting or anger are less valid in their point.

No I didn't mean passion is a negative thing in itself - just that sometimes a big rant just argues against the ranter... Chomsky sounds so precise & logical it makes it hard to argue with, it would be like arguing with Mr Spock...
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

true. Nader for example, bless him, will sometimes get all emotional during a debate and stumble on his words.

CiaranMac - do you know if that radio show is webcast at all?

Noam's lectures on latin america are killer. i once tried to read his linguistics shit, but about 15 pages in i was so confused that i gave up. he lives over here in cambridge MA, and chills with Howie Z.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 07:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact i'm reading that linguistic shit right now... Rolling Eyes actually it's quite interesting though, at least the parts i can understand! i certainly didn't know all that about mr chomsky! Very Happy
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 09:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

CranesAreFlying wrote:
true. Nader for example, bless him, will sometimes get all emotional during a debate and stumble on his words.

CiaranMac - do you know if that radio show is webcast at all?

Noam's lectures on latin america are killer. i once tried to read his linguistics shit, but about 15 pages in i was so confused that i gave up. he lives over here in cambridge MA, and chills with Howie Z.

Yeah it's toady fm, www.todayfm.com

Chomsky often appears on The Last Word, which is broadcast between 5 and 7pm Irish time.
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 09:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Today FM, check out Here Comes The Night between 10pm and 1am each night. It's an unbelievable show. here's last nights setlist downloaded from the site.

the roots water phrenology
co-real artists what about you? (stonesthrow)
blackalicious alphabet aerobics (mo' wax)
j-walk another lover a night on the rocks
superpitcher heroin (kompakt)
the go team! ladyflash (mempis industries)
simian the swarm we are uor friends
ms. john soda misco no p or d
manitoba jacknuggeted up in flames
pram track of the cat dark island
massive attack name taken 100th window
jimi tenor new world utopian dream
isolee brazil.com (classic)
ulrich schnauss love song (joint)
the go team! ladyflash (memphis industries)
klaus wunderlich & his new pop organ sound let's do the latin hustle sampled 4
the greenkeepers low & sweet (classic)
raz o' hara reality radio the last legend
common i am music electric circus
farid sunday papers dealer's choice
minnie riprton respect her chess years
odetta hit or miss best of..
barbara lynn i'm a good woman (kent)
b. fleischmann last glass of summer (morr)
telefon tel aviv sound in a room immediate action #6/hefty
four tet & pole heim (leaf)
bill evans chiledren's play song from left to right
yunx hoc so..what ype of music do you make?
lackluster manual lounge ticket (de-focus~)
rod all my love (demo cdr)
ms. john soda twas no p or d
autamata out of this my sanctuary
dirty three long way to go.. she has no strings, apollo
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 05:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... which is broadcast between 5 and 7pm Irish time"
shit, that involves math.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw two RECORDS of noam chomsky today
was going to buy the other one
but i didn't have enough money
had spent all the money on other records
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1