bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - the mars volta
the mars volta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 16:19    Post subject: the mars volta Reply with quote

Anyone got any thoughts or feelings on this album?

Twisted genius or nu-prog horror?
gillworm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to see them last night, just amazing.

i heard 'inertiatic esp' on a freebie cd but that's a misleading track, more immediate than most of the rest of the album. i found the album too dense, muddy even, live it's simpler and the guitar is more upfront. the musical variety also came out more, which is surprising really, you'd expect it to go the other way.

anyway, i think it's an impressive album a change form the pap we hear most of the time. though i hope it doesn't spark a great prog rock revival!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i heard "inertiatic esp" as well and liked it quite a lot. thanks che Rolling Eyes don't know anything about their other stuff though...
che

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 09:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL HAIL THE MARS VOLTA!
AND TOMMI'S REINDEER DICK!

In all seriousness, the lp is a gorgeous headfuck. Best description is 'Carlos Santana on acid drinking herbal tea with Pink Floyd'

(Fader mag, I believe)
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the at the drive in links and the quality of last years ep meant i was always gonna get this. have only played it couple of times so far so these are early impressions...

good enough to make me wanna go back and listen a few more times but some of the songs are too stretched and it vears in to prog rock which i've never liked one bit. nice blips n sounds on it, some nice tunes buried in there and its better moments make it worthwhile. be warned, though, that it is more than a tad self indulgent and has moments of yawndom. che's discription is - sadly for my taste in music - a bit accurate but i'd compare it more to the roses' second coming, its every bit as enjoyable and as infuriating (boring!!!) as that one was.
che

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have to agree with you, the tremulant showed more promise. you kind of get the impression that rick rubin didn't know what he was doing on this one.

i'm still not bored of it, mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1