bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - File-sharing
File-sharing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 18:15    Post subject: File-sharing Reply with quote

If anybody wants to see if any US record labels are chasing them, go here and see if your IP address of file share login is mentioned in any of the subpoenas they issued.

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/

Not that I'm advocating file sharing of course. Wink
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TYPE NOTHING IN THAT ENTRY FIELD.
THERE IS VERY LITTLE INFORMATION AVAILABLE FOR THAT PARTICULAR HOST.

Please visit http://www.internic.com/whois.html and enter 'eff.org' into the research query (if you don't know, internic is basically the company that runs the web)

Because of this, it is impossible to determine whether or not this particular website is actually attempting to HELP users to determine whether or not they are currently being pursued by said "authorities", or simply trying to collect your information for the benefit of certain third parties.

Since it is possible for many websites to easily obtain and store your IP Address by simply visiting their site, it is certainly not a good idea to 'sign' a statement saying you are a feared file sharer.

THERE IS VERY LITTLE AVAILABLE INFORMATION PROVIDED, AND THIS MAY NOT BE A REPUTABLE ORGANIZATION.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 09:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note:

it has come to my attention that /. has apparently posted an article in relevance to this matter....

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/26/1336237&mode=thread&tid=141&tid=188

Still, you might want to wrap it up before you do The Sex, if you know what I mean.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jimbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFF is a reputable organisation that has been fighting for the rights of web users for years. It is a fair point though if your coming to their site cold.

Thanks for the slashdot link, I found a link on there to a site which just lists the kazaa usernames of the people they're chasing. Only affects those of you in the US so far.
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, this is bullshit. there's gonna be another huge wave of lawsuits over here. intimidation. these companies have to learn that it's over. that they're going to have to work out some arrangement with the ISPs or something. run web royalties like they do with radio....

Vodamusic.com
jimbob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The record companies are forgetting that we've had so many years of artists slagging of what they do that no-one is really gonna care if these companies go to the wall.

Anyone over 21 has had their heart broken atleast once as one of their favourite bands gets dropped for failing with the first single from their second album.

No-one objectis to paying the band, but a lot of people object to paying the suit.
che

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's my opinion that filesharing should allow:
live versions
demo versions
b-sides over 3 years old

lp versions of songs + a-sides should not be shared.

end.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Rolling Eyes
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

true.... but that's kind of unenforceable. your publisher and ASCAP/BMI are still gonna sue for royalties. my thinking is flawed a bit, but basically: 1) you hear the record tracks on the radio, not the Bsides. 2) radio shows and some tv shows are request based in nature. 3) we are rapidly progressing towards TV/Audio on demand. 4) if you're paying for web service, and the ISPs are paying estimated royalties based on bandwidth and audiofiles shared, how would that be any different than commercial radio? so you don't have to pay to check out what's on the radio, and on-demand is the next thing, and ASCAP/BMI would still get paid, as would the owners of the recording (ie: record companies, who could assure actual disc sales as well by providing encrypted web extras, not unlike the technology that requires one to own a Quake3 disc in order to play the game online, which is of course the whole point.)

i do buy all my discs btw. just an approach i've been thinking about.

Vodamusic.com
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 08:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbob wrote:
Anyone over 21 has had their heart broken atleast once as one of their favourite bands gets dropped for failing with the first single from their second album.

hell, even MOZ got dumped, no?

Vodamusic.com
che

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

CranesAreFlying wrote:
jimbob wrote:

hell, even MOZ got dumped, no?

to be fair, moz is fucking shit anyway.
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 08:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he. can't really argue with that......

Vodamusic.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1