bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Noisy-pop (Ride-boo-& others bands)
Noisy-pop (Ride-boo-& others bands)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 09:14    Post subject: Noisy-pop (Ride-boo-& others bands) Reply with quote

I change the topic, 'cause we're going far from Moose Wink

Well you talked about shoegazing, well I don't know if you used this term but we had in France a word to discribe this kind of music wich was :
"NOISY-POP".
Which I think explain perfectly the boo-radleys music.
First band introducing It you have ...> RIDE with the LP "Nowhere", wich is one of the 5 most important LP of the Nineties, introducing a sound we never eared!
What was strange at this period it's that at this time Loud music only went with an hysteric singer yealing his lyrics, but with Ride you have this massive sound but the lyrics were... "POP"

You had then some bands who putted the accent on the noisy side (Ride) or on Pop side.

The perfect exemple is songs from the boo-radleys Masterpiece Giants Steps.
Butterfly Mc Queen for example "can you tell me who wrote this song, he must go in Asylum!!" I Heard at this time From some kind of Bon jovi fans Sad
Well this perfect song is an example of noisy-pop, very smooth voice, smooth guitar, but changing the tempo come the trumpet with noisy guitar, and the songs seems to go...."NOWHERE".......Wink

I remember the black session on french Radio, with a guy that Martin should Know call [Bernard Lenoir], and at the Giant Steps session, talking about the "incomparable noisy-pop of the boo radleys"

I could give many example in the boo stuff, but you know them.

I would say more that about noisy-pop i discovered at that time another Band called "Revolver", with LP "Cold Water Flat" (unique LP?) that was as ignored as last BC LP and always thought that was a big mistake, they were in the shadow of band like Ride, but after that I had no news???

If i can say more Wink i see talkin' about the Stone Roses. It's true that it's a big pity, that they don't make a real second LP Smile but it was really innovant in 1988 the sound of this LP.
Remember we were in the late eighties, still listening to ABBA or BONEY M !!, the disco was ending, the Punk too, and we were waiting for something new in pop music.

Let me tell you that when i first listen to "made of stone", I knew something has changed.

Before the Stone Roses, in pop music, the drums were only here to give the rythm to the song, it had not a lot of interest, but after that, it became an instrument like any other ONE..

For the Ride Fan, you must remeber the amazing intro on the first song of "Going Blank again"
Remember the "Lala love you" drums of the Pixies....

Well they changed something, but they didn't realised !!

Such an Evolution that they couldn't afford It, and then go the eternal rock & drugs time wich has destroy so many bans, so many singers....

Hope I wasn't too long (if i could wrote in French I would write hundreds of pages about music, between 1985-2005; it's a passion !!)

PS : sorry for my faultssss

Vote You

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say oliv, it's a damn pleasure to have you here Very Happy

vu
xx
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, agreed. Well said Oliv! Smile
Your English is excellent as well, by the way.
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote You wrote:
I have to say oliv, it's a damn pleasure to have you here Very Happy

vu
xx

Be Sure I won't leave !! Mr. Green
birdman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise pop, shoegazing, space rock, dream pop... Call it what you like, I love all of it!

I first heard the Boos and Ride almost exactly ten years ago. A friend gave me tapes of Giant Steps and Smile by Ride, and need I say nothing was ever the same again...

It did take me too long to discover other great bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and Swervedriver, but when I finally did, they made as big an impression on me as the Boos and Ride had done. Revolver are a great band too, I have only heard a few tracks but they were more than enough to convince me to put Cold Water Flat on my ever-growing want list.

What else... Well, Chapterhouse's first album Whirlpool is a classic (of which I only have a cd-r copy - the real thing is number one on my want list). Catherine Wheel, Lush, Cranes... I could go on to mention the number of new bands that have kept pursuing the sound, but maybe later, it's time to do some work for a change! Very Happy
dancing pablo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bloody valentine are sweet as.

loveless is one of those albums that never seem to be too loud.......
as much as i put the volume up, it always seems too quiet. Confused

anyone else like early spiritualized ane mercury rev and that stuff 'n' all.

cause i do. yes.

and what about sigur ros?. eh.

such a pretty noise.

Twisted Evil
dp
birdman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, Spiritualized and Mercury Rev, melikes.

I haven't been quite so impressed by Sigur Rós though, I think Slowdive did the same thing much better a decade before them.
adam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term coined here in my town is Boo Pop. (can u guess what band its coined after Wink ) Anything with a great melody or hook that is jumbled up in a web of sound is boo pop. It's a dual meaning. a) anything that is a brilliant strait pop song; b)anything that could be a brilliant (popular) pop song if the crazy other stuff was taken out.

just thought i'd let ya' folks in the U.K know what hip terms us "trendsetters" in the U.S. are using Razz Cool

~adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1