bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The best gig I've been to is…..
The best gig I've been to is…..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 17:01    Post subject: The best gig I've been to is….. Reply with quote

Mine was Elastica at the Astoria in January 2000. Possibly because I was wasted but I really did think they were the best band I'd ever seen. And then the album they released was rubbish and they split up. That’s why I'm not an A&R man.
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it's very hard for me to say a single one, so I'll say

Oasis Earls Court 95
Oasis Knebworth 96
Stone Roses Manchester Apollo 95
Radiohead Glastonbury 2003
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are my favourites:

1. Hanoi Rocks (Helsinki 2003)
This just hast to be the best gig I've seen... the atmosphere was simply brilliant, the crowd (and the band) was absolutely crazy (in a good way).

2. Bravecaptain (London 2002)
The first time I saw the Captain live.. This was in Camden Barfly I think (a.k.a. London Monarch?) I was in the front row jumping like crazy, I also took some photos, they're somewhere on this website now. I stole Martin's plectrum at the end of the gig. Twisted Evil But you can have it back if you need it, Martin. Wink

3. Inspiral Carpets (London 2003)
My first day during my latest trip to England. My friend's uncle (!) knew someone from the band so I didn't have to pay that much for the ticket. I only knew that one hit song before the night but the gig was excellent anyway. They're great live, unfortunately not the best 'studio band'.

4. Junior Senior (London 2003)
I went to see Electric Six actually, Junior Senior was supporting them. I was positively surprised, they had more good songs than just 'Move Your Feet'. I wonder what's their album like...
Electric Six were a major disappointment though, I didn't like them very much.
Everybody, move your feet and feel united, oo-oo-oooh! Rolling Eyes

Idea
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret gig #4 Embrace 2000 , first day at Pilton fest (where Coldplay were the support act to Embrace!), second day in a quarry in Cornwall...what a weekend!!! Oh and we met them, and Richard asked me if I was Setareh...woohoo!!!

Secret gig #5 2001 , Embrace in a cave.

Brave Captain in Stockholm 2001 , Chernobyl day, April 26th I think. Very weird gig that had to end at 11pm because neighbours complained (???), very few people present, backstage afterwards...spotting weirdo celebrities all day before the show...it was amazing...and "Lazarus" was the most beautiful ever.

L&P
darraghh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh em flaming lips in vicar st. two years ago got swept up in the whole sorta religious vibe. Otherwise probably being really young (15) and really drunk at blur.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of fave ones.

Madness 1985 was my first ever one so i feel obliged to say thats the best.

however i've seen loads of gems and my fave gigs this year have been

Stellastar*
The Rapture
Franz Ferdinand
Melz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fave five...

Brave Captain - Sheffield Barfly - November 2002

I knew this was going to be a good night after Yellow Stripe Nine opened proceedings and instantly became one of my favourite new bands of the moment. Seeing a great support act is always a pleasure, but to see one of your all-time heroes in person is great. Especially when he's telling you to "Stand up, stand up and fight!!" I'm sure that I've reviewed this in an older thread so I'll just say that the highlights of the night were "This Weight That You have Found", "Hamilton Square", "Mobilise", and the look of disgust on the Kinkster's face when BC said "This song's called Mobilise".

Super Furry Animals - Leeds University - October 2001

Amazing gig, right from the opening act's synthesizer version of "Rings Around The World" to the main act opening with "(A) Touch Sensitive" and "Ice Hockey Hair", eventually creating a version of "Juxtaposed With U" so beautiful even this hardened music fan shed a tear, to a maniacal "The Man Don't Give A Fuck" which made us all go completely insane! I need to see this band again.

Idlewild - Leeds Met - April 2002

Calm, peaceful classical music. A video of trees. An audience wondering what the heck is going on. Everything goes black. "Support Your Local Poet" in big white letters. Movement on stage. "This is my idea for Captain, a girl in a flower dress whose face is a real mess..." The guitars explode. Roddy Woomble appears, his band in tow. "YOU SAY WHAT?! YOU SAY WHAT?! YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN, WHAT?!" One of the best opening sections of a gig I have ever seen. Top class.

Lit - Nottingham Rock City - January 2002

After releasing "Atomic" - the second best rock and roll album of 2001 (second only to The Strokes' "Is This It") we were expecting the second best rock and roll show ever. The band didn't even know their new album was released over here yet so material was strictly from their older albums, and songs from the new album (which we already knew) being described as "Previews from our next album". Even stranger then, that this concert was FAR better in our opinion than the Strokes gig we saw the following month. A fantastic adrenaline rush and a superb show all round.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Leeds Met - October 2002

Yes I like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones; no I'm not ashamed to admit it; yes this was a brilliant performance. The band delivered a show lasting over two hours in length (they said this was to make up for not visiting the UK more often) and played a great selection of songs from their (currently) 7-album career and also some great covers too including Bob Marley's "Simmer Down" and Stiff Little Fingers' "Tin Soldiers". I really, really enjoyed this concert. Lots of fun.

Melz.
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw brian wilson do the whole of "smile" on monday, third row. one of the most profoundly fantastic gigs i think i have ever been to.

it filled in all the holes, both lyrically and musically, that have been missing from nearly every dodgy bootleg i've had over the years. stunning.

x
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tynans, are you old or did you start gigging early on in life? L&P
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my drunken Stupour last night I remembered:

Super Furry Animals, 2nd Stage Headline, Friday @ Reading 1998

and

Beastie Boys, Headline, Saturday @ Reading 1998

and

New Order, Headline, Sunday @ Reading 1998

Fuck that was a good weekend Laughing

Kinks

p.s. I did not look disgusted during Mobilise!!!!!!!
KENFROM RHYL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAKIN STEVENS. RHYL PAVILLION MARCH 1983.
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best gigs ?
For Me that was James : the Laid tour Lyon 1993.
Then the festival Inrocks Lyon : Oasis (definiteky maybe tour) with first part a new band called Radiohead, (Pablo Honey tour)
Then that was the Boo radleys show.
Maybe Marseille Wake Up! Tour
or the first Giant Steps tour in France, in a very very small club in Lyon

bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAKIN STEVENS. RHYL PAVILLION MARCH 1983.

What a night. x
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then I've run all the votes through a powerful computer and the result of the contest to find the Greatest Concert Ever is as follows:

1st Place - Shakin Stevens, Rhyl Pavillion March 1983
2nd Place - Misc Others.

The Shakey revival starts here.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. no it doesn't. Now do you want to go and sit in the corner and think about what you've just done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2