bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Dots and Loops
Dots and Loops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 16:22    Post subject: Dots and Loops Reply with quote

Has any heard Dots and Loops by Stereolab? Is it worth buying? Also whats the new Kevin Shields stuff like on the Lost in Translation soundtrack album? I need to hear to some new music but I went to the record store at the weekend and there was nowt I wanted to buy.
Darraghh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Kevin shields stuff is alright, a bit weak though, incidental. When I saw the movie I heard all this amazing music and I thought holy fuck Kevin Shields has just pulled some mega stuff out of his lazy Irish hole,.but the stuff that impressed me turned out to be tommib by squarepusher and girls by deathi in vegas which both sound as my bloody valentiney than Shields' stuff. His best one is a kind of kraftwerk type pulsey bit near the end. Really good.
appalled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the kevin shields stuff was great on the lost in translation soundtrack, especially the first of his on there (i can't recall the title), i think it's a haunting track, and is classic shields,

in fact, I love the whole soundtrack, it's take me to another place, i can't describe it really, it's just unique. The best thing i've bought for a while.
Plus now when i listen to it, I get flashbacks to the film, which I just love, and i'm not usually a film sort of person.

enough
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a film sort of person either.
I saw Kill Bill not very long ago but before that... jeeesus... I hadn't seen anything for AGES. Should I go see Lost in Translation then? What is it like?
Melz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill Bill. Top film, that. Hopefully the second part will be out soon after the DVD of the first part is released.

Uma Thurman + Big sword = Twisted Evil

Melz.
appalled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you should go see lost in translation, it's a lush film.

with great music, and scarlett johannson,

what more could you want.

Razz
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion.
I might go see it then... if I can be bothered.
birdman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:05    Post subject: Re: Dots and Loops Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
Has any heard Dots and Loops by Stereolab? Is it worth buying? Also whats the new Kevin Shields stuff like on the Lost in Translation soundtrack album? I need to hear to some new music but I went to the record store at the weekend and there was nowt I wanted to buy.

Any Stereolab album is worth buying... Dots And Loops is Stereolab in their most 'easy-listening' mode, so if that's your type of thing, go for it. I tend to prefer the drone aspects of their sound, but as I said, I still enjoy pretty much everything they have done.

And as to Shields, out of the four tracks he contributed to the album, one is a nice pop song (City Girl) and the rest are instrumentals. Nothing groundbreaking, but any MBV fan should enjoy the tracks. The rest of the album is good quality as well. Haven't seen the film yet, but am definitely looking forward to seeing it if possible (haven't seen any films in ages due to family issues - need a babysitter first...).
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Dots and Loops now, its good in a background music type way. It reminded me of Tortoise.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interview with Kevin Shields:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1167043,00.html
KENFROM RHYL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE LAST FILM I SAW AT THE CINEMA WAS E.T!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1