bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Looking for recommendations...
Looking for recommendations...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 05:48    Post subject: Looking for recommendations... Reply with quote

I've been out of the loop for awhile now, so I'm looking to get caught up. I mostly buy electronica/down tempo stuff and I don't listen to the radio.

My favorite bands from the past (other than boo) are (were):
The Darling Buds
The Wolfgang Press
Pixies
Blur
The Lilac Time (Stephen Duffy)
The Mock Turtles
Radiohead
Saint Etienne
Spiritualized
The The
Ultra Vivid Scene

What are some bands that you like and could recommend based in a similar vein to what I've listed above?
Hew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 08:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

broken social scene
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you don't already know them... Super Furry Animals . What an excellent band, 'Fuzzy Logic' and 'Rings Around The World' are probably their easiest albums, they're all very good though. Check them out if you haven't already!

Catatonia - yes, I like(d) them a lot. Some people hate Cerys Matthews' voice but I think it's exciting and beautiful. Their best of album isn't worth buying, it actually doesn't have any of my favourite songs on it, but 'Equally Cursed And Blessed', 'International Velvet' and 'Paper Scissors Stone' are all great albums. You've probably heard the song 'Mulder and Scully' before and now you're thinking that they're the band that made that awful song but it's unfair to make your opinion about some band if you've only heard one song. That's what people think of Boo Radleys as well, I suppose... ([i]oh, they're the band who sang that wake up boo song!)

Eggman - that's Sice from the Boo's and his solo album 'First Fruits' was just lovely. Edward Ball's solo album(s) are good too, especially 'Catholic Guilt'

Then there's a really good Finnish band, also quite popular in the UK and middle Europe: 22-Pistepirkko . They're very underrated in my opinion, at least in Finland, they made three good albums 'Big Lupu', 'Eleven' and 'Rally of Love' and now they're working on a new album, I think. There's also some kind of a best of collection out, but I don't know what it's called.
Lots of guitars and interesting instruments there, and their singer has a weird/funny/cool/different/exciting voice.

Idea
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what you say you like I think you'd appreciate Phoenix, try their new album out any day now. L&P
Darraghh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivia Tremor Control
- they've got this crazy 27song albumcalled dusk at cubist castle which is a big gloopy psychedelic explosion just as inspired as giant steps, cant recommend it enough.

Deerhof-Milkman
Shins-Chutes too narrow/Oh inverted world

Thats all I'll recommend for today, as you can see its pretty much American psychedelic indie, so you might want to mix in some other stuff in cae you overdose and get sick.
che

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Then there's a really good Finnish band, also quite popular in the UK and middle Europe: 22-Pistepirkko . They're very underrated in my opinion, at least in Finland, they made three good albums 'Big Lupu', 'Eleven' and 'Rally of Love' and now they're working on a new album, I think. There's also some kind of a best of collection out, but I don't know what it's called.
Lots of guitars and interesting instruments there, and their singer has a weird/funny/cool/different/exciting voice.

They're about as popular as ghonnorrea here, but I love them.

So much so, that 'Eleven' has been ordered at HMV. It should arrive by Xmas.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

che wrote:

They're [22-Pistepirkko] about as popular as ghonnorrea here, but I love them.

So much so, that 'Eleven' has been ordered at HMV. It should arrive by Xmas.

I know at least three others in the UK who have heard of 22-Pist, so they can't be so unknown for the masses. "Eleven" is a top album, everyone in the world should have it. Rolling Eyes In fact I need to get it (again) as well, my brother used to have it but I haven't seen it/him for quite a while.
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really hate to admit this... but the new graham coxon single is *really* good...

i also recently saw a band called the magic numbers who i thought were brilliant.

x
Whatever

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations... I'll check them out.

To Tommy BOO: I have a ton of Edward Ball stuff i.e. The Times, Love Corporation, Teenage Filmstars. I didn't know he's got a solo album out now. What label is it on?

You can check out my CD collection at www.bremel.com.
che

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostprophets - start something.

LP OF THE FUCKING YEAR.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ed Ball released two or three solo albums on Creation, but that was already quite a while ago of course! If I remember correctly, Martin and the other Boo's also featured on his albums... at least on "Catholic Guilt"!
I don't actually know anything about The Times, Love Corporation and all those... but hey, if you're on some messenger or something, I could introduce to the magical world of Edward Ball!
If you're not, drop me an e-mail or PM me and we'll arrange something.

Do you know Super Furry Animals then? They're ace.
Kris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I the only person in the world that thinks Radiator is SFA's best album?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
So am I the only person in the world that thinks Radiator is SFA's best album?

Yes.
che

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ex thought it was the best lp ever. but she was a psycho. her opinion counts for precisely dick.
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

another big thumbs up goes to art brut's new single "we formed a band". it's ace. go check it out.

also heard the ordinary boys this morning, who are sadly... well... ordinary.

x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2