bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Safe As Book
Safe As Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only book I've read out of the 50 is High Fidelity and I hated it. I thought the film was OK though.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read:
Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
The Regeneration Trilogy - Pat Barker
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
What a Carve Up! - Jonathan Coe

all highly recommended, except high fidelity, which wasn't great
gillworm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read (well about 50% read) American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis - what a bizarre book! I started skipping bits cos there was so much 'he wore this and she wore that' label dropping and then I skipped the really nasty torture sections...which didn't leave much to be read!
ciaranm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Psycho is genius. Also, another bit of genius from that list is The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.
nathanptm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:50    Post subject: B S Johnson Reply with quote

Any fans of Richard Brautigan out there should check out B S Johnson, I'm half way through Jonathan Coe's new biography which is well written and builds up a rounded picture of the man who brought formal experimentalism to the English novel of the 1960's - he is famous for producing a book in a box, with which the reader shuffles the separate chapters and reads them at random - cutting holds in pages so the reader can see forward to future events - and other typographic and narrative devices. 'Christie Malry's Own Double Entry' is a good novel to start with and is as funny and clever as anything Brautigan wrote, and Picador are reprinting three of his other novels in an omnibus edition this friday.
gnumetal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 13:58    Post subject: books Reply with quote

I just finished reading 'Liverpool Wondorous Place' by Paul Du Noyer, which apart from criminally ignoring the Boo's in favour of Atomic Kitten, charts Liverpool's musical history through it's three big clubs, The Cavern, Eric's and Cream. He does include 'Wake Up Boo!' in his top 100 mersey based songs of all time and says something like it's impossible to dislike but that's the only Boo mention. It's a really good read though, none the less.

I've now moved onto A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain , after my missus threatened to beat me to death with a frozen burrito unless I read it.

I bought Life of Pi ages and still haven't gotten around to reading it. I might read that next.

The best book I've read in a long time though is still A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, about a recovering crack addict. Its ace!
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
American Psycho is genius. Also, another bit of genius from that list is The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.

haha, that's scary, Iwas thinking that you'd have to be a bit of a psyho to write those torture scenes and a bit odd to enjoy them! Confused
HarryCrews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 15:43    Post subject: Books Books Books Reply with quote

I've been reading The Big Sleep by Ramond Chandler. Good stuff, before that I read the Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Karumi. Says on the back, Raymond Carver meets Brett Easton Ellis via Don Delillo. What more do you need to know. Great Stuff
HarryCrews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 15:46    Post subject: B S Johnson Reply with quote

Forgot to add, must 2nd the approval of BS Johnson and the biography. Spoke to Jonathan Coe at a lecture he was doing the other night in York. Can't remember what he said, was veh veh drunk on the free red wine.

Yum Yum
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh - I've read "Doktor Glas" now and I quite liked it. Very clever idea and well written. Thanks for suggesting it. However, I just noticed that I should have returned it to the library more than a week ago! BUGGER.

Now I want to read something else. Any suggestions?
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay...you know this is the first time someone actually listened to my book advice. people usually just say 'oh, I'll be sure to do that' and they never do.

I'm glad you liked it, it is good.

The cover of that Liverpool book is VERY beautiful!

Love and Peace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I want to read something again.
Someone else please suggest me... well... something!
Darraghh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

try slaughterhouse 5 by |Kurt Vonnegut. Very goood
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finished the Gary Younge book a couple of weeks ago. A black man born and raised in Stevenage goes to the deep south to follow the route that the Freedom Riders http://www.freedomridersfoundation.org/brief.history.html took in the sixties and meets some of the participants. Examines and compares the racism of the UK and US with some interesting results (ie both are racist only the americans are a lot more up front about it). Well written, recommended.

I started to read 'Madness in the Family' by William Saroyan which I've had for years but never read, I was enjoying it but left it someplace and had to start reading Louis Ferdinand Celine's 'Journey to the End of the Night' which is great so far. Then my cat kept reminding me of my old calvin and hobbes albums so I dusted one of them off and have been giggling at that.

Mx
Tilly Mint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 09:57    Post subject: Tiger Reply with quote

The best book in the world - no argument.[url] http://www.myhomelibrary.org/pix/braillecovers/harpercollins2.jpg
[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15