bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stunned by the result, it's the kind of thing which would have happened under Souness. The whole club seems to be a total mess at the moment. Hopefully Rafa will stay, the ownership thing will get sorted out, we'll get 4th, find 100 million down the back of the Anfield Road to buy a couple of new strikers and then push on next season.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 15:40    Post subject: Re: things have improved a little since John's post! Reply with quote

were Barnsley in action at the weekend, Tomi?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah yes, they may have been... although I'm still expecting to wake up and realise that it was all just a dream.

Just the fact that Barnsley have beaten Liverpool and Chelsea is already quite amazing, it's difficult to believe that we're in the FA Cup semi-finals for the first time in 96 years and just one game away from the final...!
We've beaten two of the world's biggest teams, where each player could buy the whole Barnsley squad and their stadium with their weekly wages. That makes the victories even more sweet, and makes me believe that maybe there's still hope for football and that money hasn't completely ruined everything yet.
Perhaps Barnsley could join "the Big Four" now and make it "the Big Five"? Laughing

Supporting Barnsley may usually be a bit shite, we're dangerously close to the relegation zone in our league again, but it's the moments like these two FA Cup games, or the play-off final in 2006, that make it more than worthwhile. Football's great as long as your team is winning. Razz

We're going to play Cardiff at Wembley next, and it's gonna hurt if we get knocked out now, as I'd love to see a happy ending for this fairytale. But it's already been so great, and despite of what happens next, this is something that I'll never forget.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the best thing is that Barnsley were (as anyone who watched the game on Saturday can surely confirm!) easily the better team too!

Cudicini was poor but so were Chelsea's tactics... what's the point of hoofing the ball upfield and trying to make desperate crosses all the time, when most of the Barnsley squad is defending inside the area?

Unlike in the Liverpool match, I wasn't really feeling nervous at all, not even in the end when Chelsea had a couple of half-chances... In fact it was all a bit surreal, Chelsea never even looked like scoring, and I would say that despite of Chelsea's possession, Barnsley were dominating the game.

And they can't use the "we were playing our reserve team" excuse either that some Liverpool fans tried to use. Razz I doubt that Cech would have made such an error that led to Odejayi's winning goal, but then again Barnsley had three first team players out as well (just like against Liverpool!)

And the funny thing is that Chelsea can't use the "the FA Cup isn't important, we're only concentrating on the Champions League" excuse either... Laughing

http://users.utu.fi/tlvais/music/goal-bsly.mp3
"It's happening again!!" Surprised

Exclamation
discoRdance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Chelsea didn't have Liverpool's valid reason of having a much bigger match, against Inter Milan, to play a few days after their game against Barnsley, or the alibi that goalkeeper Luke Steele had the game of his life (congratulations to him on winning the official 'player of the round' for that performance, by the way), and unlike Liverpool, they had time to equalise. Shame on Chelsea's players, well done to Barnsley on a thoroughly deserved win.

Quote:
makes me believe that maybe there's still hope for football and that money hasn't completely ruined everything yet

expect to see lower league sides in the latter stages of the FA Cup more and more as the money from the Champions League makes it the priority for the big clubs. The FA Cup is becoming the League Cup as far as these clubs are concerned.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
expect to see lower league sides in the latter stages of the FA Cup more and more as the money from the Champions League makes it the priority for the big clubs. The FA Cup is becoming the League Cup as far as these clubs are concerned.

Not convinced that's the case. I'd agree that for teams like Reading and Bolton the Prem League income is the most important thing (Bolton sacrificing tomorrows game in the UEFA Cup an amazing sign of that) but I think how Chelsea have treated both cups shows the desire to win cups is still really strong at the best sides, and Man U's strong side on Saturday another reflection of the real want to win it. I'd accept that this the clubs would rather win the Champions League and that may explain Arsenals and Liverpools line ups for the 5th round ties but that was down to fixture timing and i'm certain that Arsenal at least would have been more up for the cup if it hadn't preceded the CL. Also to be honest Fergies reaction on Saturday was a total sign of his desire to win it and the Liverpool fans I work with were gutted over being knocked out of the cup (thoughI expect that if they make it back from Milan they'll be happily saying how over it they are!). And one last point the reality is if Chelsea (for example) want to increase the global fan base they have to win trophies - fans like that won't follow/be attracted to teams that never win nowt, never have been and never will be.

Still Tommy Boo must be tip top of the world right now, all of the sides really can win it and to be in that situation... top. What chances the Tykes playing a UEFA Cup match in Finland next season eh?

And - finally Very Happy - Fergie on Saturday. Wrong not to concede that Pompey just about deserved the win but his comments on refs and Keith Hackett were right. Frankly English refs are far to lenient and its mateynepostism at its worst - the shitster in charge of our match at Scunthrope last night was disgraceful. Completely out of his depth and happy to let every single pro foul or timewasting trick go unpunished. Scunny were a replica of Watford and it was frigging painful to watch... mind you so was our own inept performance. And as for all them fucking motorways being shut on the way home!!
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd accept that this the clubs would rather win the Champions League and that may explain Arsenals and Liverpools line ups for the 5th round ties but that was down to fixture timing and i'm certain that Arsenal at least would have been more up for the cup if it hadn't preceded the CL.

exactly... when an FA Cup tie comes just before an important CL game, for example, you see what the priority is. Arsenal fielded a weakened side at Old Trafford, but so did Manchester United in the same game. I don't know why Lampard and Drogba didn't play at Barnsley?
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal service resumed, Tommy Wink
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159197080315-1852.htm
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then comrades, so I went to see the FA Cup semi-final (Barnsley vs Cardiff) a week ago. Confused
I can't believe it was actually snowing in London that day! It almost felt like... er... being in Finland. We (some London-based Barnsley fans and me) had booked an open top bus for the day so we were riding all around central London. It was freezing out there but we had a pretty good time anyway.

There must have been hundreds of people taking photos of us and beeping their car horns. The funniest thing (that none of us actually realised until much later, and we did find it quite hilarious then) was when our bus stopped next to a group of Olympic Torch protesters and we were all chanting "Red Army"... haha, I wonder what they were thinking! Laughing

Well, the game itself was a big disappointment. It took ages to get inside the new Wembley and I wasn't very impressed. I thought my seat would have been in a good area too (at least it should have been as I paid £45 for my ticket!) but I think the view and the atmosphere was much better at the Millennium Stadium when I went there in 2006.
The match was boring, I thought it would be the most exciting game that I'll ever see, but I was just bored for most of the time. Cardiff got a lucky goal on the 9th minute and after that neither team never looked like scoring again...

Apart from the football game on Sunday my little trip to London was excellent though. I guess I should have stayed for a bit longer though as Barnsley murdered Watford 3-0 on Wednesday and beat Preston 2-1 last weekend as well! Now it looks like we're almost safe from relegation, which is a big relief. And to make things better, Sheffield Wednesday could be relegated to League One. Very Happy

I also bumped into Mr Carr the day after the semi-final on a busy street in Notting Hill, which was a bit odd! I'm not going to calculate the probability for that, as my head would probably explode, but it's really quite a coincidence!

Exclamation
discoRdance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 22:02    Post subject: Re: a whole trip of coincidences, then Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
There must have been hundreds of people taking photos of us and beeping their car horns. The funniest thing (that none of us actually realised until much later, and we did find it quite hilarious then) was when our bus stopped next to a group of Olympic Torch protesters and we were all chanting "Red Army"...!

funniest. thing. ever. Laughing

I thought it was a good goal, actually
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that none of the Liverpool people are posting here anymore, I was once considering changing the subject of this thread to "LIVERPOOL! (and barnsley!)" Razz

Shame about the Champions League result on Tuesday, perhaps 1-1 was a deserved result for both teams, but what on earth was Riise doing in the end?! That was even better than Hyypia's own goal earlier this season (or last season?)

I thought that Hyypia has been pretty good recently so I was a bit disappointed to see him left out of the starting 11. I hope he'll play in the second leg next week, I still think they have a good chance but it's not gonna be easy. Chelsea vs ManUre would be the worst possible final that I can think of.

11 years today since Barnsley's promotion to the Premier League ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOykXPHlSvU

... and they're battling against relegation today. Confused
Looking good so far though, 1-0 up against Charlton at the moment and the other results are going our way too.

Exclamation
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

summed up new wemblee pretty spot on tommy boo. its shite and any stadium that looks like a call centre from outside should be knocked down.

red army Very Happy
discoRdance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
I can't believe that none of the Liverpool people are posting here anymore, I was once considering changing the subject of this thread to "LIVERPOOL! (and barnsley!)" Razz

Shame about the Champions League result on Tuesday, perhaps 1-1 was a deserved result for both teams, but what on earth was Riise doing in the end?! That was even better than Hyypia's own goal earlier this season (or last season?)

I thought that Hyypia has been pretty good recently so I was a bit disappointed to see him left out of the starting 11. I hope he'll play in the second leg next week, I still think they have a good chance but it's not gonna be easy. Chelsea vs ManUre would be the worst possible final that I can think of.

11 years today since Barnsley's promotion to the Premier League ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOykXPHlSvU

... and they're battling against relegation today. Confused
Looking good so far though, 1-0 up against Charlton at the moment and the other results are going our way too.

Exclamation

well done to Barnsley on their 3-0 win and safety

but you must get some fuzzy pictures on Finnish TV if you think Chelsea deserved a draw last week!

Wink

Drogba deserved an Oscar nomination, mind...

and while I still feel sick about it all, I can't be too hard on Riise... he's got some stick for not clearing with his weaker foot (like most footballers don't depend on just the one foot) but the same foot scored a famous winner against Barcelona in the Nou Camp last season

and Lucio scored an even worse own goal via his head for (or against!) Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup semi-final two days later... these things just happen sometimes
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We will score. We will win and we will get to the final." - Rafa Benitez. I love that bearded Spaniard.

Tune of the day: She Loves You - The Beatles
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

is tim lovejoy the worst presenter of 606 ever? No thats obviously david mellor but, alarmingly, lovejoy is 'aving a good go at replacing him.

*turnsradiooff*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 129 of 143