bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The Grey Album
The Grey Album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 02:03    Post subject: The Grey Album Reply with quote

what's the hoo-ha about this one then?

have seen EMI or someone called things like fascisistic censors for coming down on this supposed mix of The Beatles' White Album and Jay-Z's The Black Album, with people thinking someone has the right to take large chunks of someone else's work for use in their own. true, it was only a promo, and EMI or whoever's stance only drew attention to the thing, but he'll profit from it all somehow, no doubt. didn't see anyone slag off Noel Gallagher for stopping The Smurfs from appropriating an Oasis track (Wondersmurf, or summat, wasn't it? Confused )... er, not that Oasis themselves are a bastion of originality.

but the funny bit is people claim this Dangermouse guy behind it all is doing something groundbreaking which shouldn't be stopped! erm, what's groundbreaking about it? he uses samples, which is obviously nothing new, except he takes a number of them from the one album. which may or may not have been done before, I don't know. the whole thing just seems to have stemmed from the fact that one album is called the White album and one is called the Black album, and it's a bit of a cheap gimmick, really

wow, if that's what gets called groundbreaking these days, originality must really be dead. That said, I've not heard any of this hybrid 'Grey' album... has anyone else? any opinions? I never said it couldn't be good, other considerations (re: copyright and suchlike) forgotten about, although I suspect it's a bit useless...
Vote You

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it all.

All I can say is I'm not a Jay Z fan. It's all put together and mixed professionally enough, but like you say, it's all a bit gimmiky.

That said, the Helter Skelter one would be brilliant no matter who you mixed it with!

vu
xx
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be better to mix the White Album with the Red Album

that would give us the Pink album

. . .

oh no, what have I done?! Shocked

that won't get the party started.
Embarassed

mix in the Blue Album as well, so...

it might be a mad sounding colour, but it'd make for one hell of a 6-disc set Smile
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and... I suspect Penfold could outdo the Grey album...

but much like George Harrison, he always has to live in the shadow of others Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1