bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - If The Lights Go Out.....
If The Lights Go Out.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31    Post subject: If The Lights Go Out..... Reply with quote

Anyone watch this last night?

Fascinating stuff IMHO

Kinky
xx
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that as a no then.

Anyway, all it did in my opinion was to show how evil the Tories and New Labour have been in the last 25 years. The program clearly showed how things like Gas Oil and Electricity should not be run by Private companies who bleed things as dryly as possible in order to make their few shareholders rich.

It also shows me how stupid the general public are. Carry on paying very little for your wares fools, you are slowly killing yourselves and the children you are bringing into the world.
KENFROM RHYL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRING BACK OIL LAMPS AND EATING OFFAL!
KENFROM RHYL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRING BACK OIL LAMPS AND EATING OFFAL!
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the programme. Why does people paying less for Gas and Oil result in children being killed?
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a basic argument. Electricity companies say they can't fund research into renewable energy beacuse they don't make enough profit. They don't make enough profit because they have to compete and that means low prices.

The passed theory was that by 2010 70% of all our electricity will come from gas burning power stations from thousands of miles away. Such hugely long pipelines are going to increase the chance of terrorists attacking them, and at that point our 10% of renewable energy will not be enough to power the country.

My point about our children dying was more of a "what kind of world are we leaving behind" kind of arguement.

Kinks
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if we switch to wind farms or something like that then the terrorists would just target them instead. Isn't it just the Electricity companies wanting government subsidies to pay for their research work?
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right it's the private companies wanting something for nothing. This was my original point about privatising such things.

The terrorists attacking wind farms is obviously plausible, however I doubt they could attack and cause massive damage to windfarms as easily as they can attack a 1300 mile long gas pipeline Smile
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course Wind power is the only form of renewable energy that's had any funding recently. I'm sure there are many other areas of research possible.

Another excuse given by power companies is that electricity cannot be stored, and therefore things are always gonna be stretched.

Forgive me for probably being far too simplistic here, but what the fuck are batteries? Don't they store electricity? Why not fund research into the storage of electricity and not just the production of it?
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

batteries run out and create more problems than electricity. don't believe the power generators fail to make enuff money our bills are much more wxpensive (in real terms) than when they were public co's. remember HSBC made many many billions this year and still made many staff (INCLUDING MY FRIENDS) REDUNDANT AND OUTSOURCED TO INDIA TO SAVE A FEW GRAND. sorry for cap letters am pissed. FUCK EM ALL! X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1