bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The Darkness want £1 million to play Glasto this year
The Darkness want £1 million to play Glasto this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 09:10    Post subject: The Darkness want £1 million to play Glasto this year Reply with quote

The evil cocksuckers
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 09:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a plucky underdog point of view I respect The Darkness for having gone from playing pubs to selling millions of records in under a year but their music is utter crap. I can understand them wanting to cash in while they can though. Didn't The Strokes get a million for playing Reading a couple of years ago?
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 09:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and Oasis got £2 million from Readin too if they are to be believed.

however, Glastonbury were not only the first festival to give The Darkness a chance last year when no one had heard of them. They are also a festival that is built on the foundations of charity work. Because of this remit they do not pay the kind of massive fee's that Mean Fiddler can afford to.

The day I see a band at Glasto getting more money than any of the main charities it contributes to is the day I stop going.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well presumably Michael Eavis will tell them where they can stick their ironic take on '70's rock. Glastonbury sells out in hours anyway, they could put me on as a headliner and it would sell out. And I'd only expect £500,000 to do it. Who is headling this year? Is Paul McCartney confirmed?
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

s'far as I know Paul McCartneys staff confirmed it rather than Glasto. Eavis is just saying "hopefully".

i really have a bad feeling 2 million Paul McCartneys fans are gonna buy tickets and lots of Glast regulars (me) are not gonna manage to get tickets because of it.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool to see McCartney at Glastonbury. The thought of "The Frog Chorus" drifting out over the fields fills me with joy.

If Lennon had lived, do you reckon the Beatles would have got back together and performed at some point (possibly for Live Aid)? On that South Bank Show programme about Lennon on Sunday they had footage from The Beatles at the Cavern. It's was weird to see them on stage together, I never think of them being a live band although they played hundreds of concerts.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the darkness - fuckin shite music that reminds me of all them horrible 80s bands who i grew up hating. bands like whitesnake n kiss n aerosmith. awful shite. my opinion isn't helped by the fact that the kids at our school who liked that crap would call me n**ger lover for liking ska n reggae and gay lover (yes they were shite about that too) for liking billy b n the housemartins. put me off that crap for life and whilst yer can't hold the darkness or their ilk for peoples crap politics, i find it hard not to be reminded of that shite. on a lighter note, its a rule of mine to never like a band who's clothes are better than their records, so i can't like 'em for that reason either.

rant over. Shocked
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, The Darkness want £1 000 000 this year. Jeeeesus. Well, I would lie if I said that I wouldn't accept all that money if someone offered it to me. (although I wouldn't know what to do with so much money)
But that's a lot of money. F'kin hell, they only got £75 last year (just read that from somewhere) and now they're getting greedy.
I'm going to have a word with my boss on Monday morning, maybe he'll raise my salary by 1333333% as well!
Whatever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 05:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could all just be a load of crap to get headlines too.
che

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could all just be a load of crap.
Plank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is actually a huge, imposing mound of maggot-infested, steaming, viscous, black bile-ridden unicorn poo.

not too keen on the darkness, me. o, that joke isn't funny anymore.
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently The Darkness originally considered naming themselves "Women Who Exaggerate" and a working title for the album was "Bad Tennis". If they'd chosen either of these names I think I'd like them a lot more.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I never actually thought about it.
The Darkness... what a fucking stupid name indeed. Shocked

I still kinda like their album though, no matter what everyone else thinks about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1