bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The best Boo Radleys moments.
The best Boo Radleys moments.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 20:41    Post subject: The best Boo Radleys moments. Reply with quote

I'm not listing my favourite songs here, and I don't want you to do it either. But I'm asking what are your favourite moments in Boo Radleys songs ever? That's probably just a cool sound effect, a guitar solo, or a part where Sice's voice reaches another dimension that only lasts a second or two.

Here are some of my favourites... (every song has its great moment, but these are the best!)

Barney (...and me) - the bit where Sice sings "the lake is almost frozen" and then the clarinet goes do do doo . Just a simple do do doo but god I love it... Rolling Eyes [0:42]

Superintendent - this is probably the best one. I just love the part at the very end where Sice sings really high and then the song just ends right after that. And I need to listen to it again then. [2:22]

Last Night I Dreamt Of God - this contains one of my favourite pieces of lyrics ever. "I was given a chance last night, a chance to realise - that the drugs I often take are nothing more than lies. Make a choice, feel your way, before it gets too late." Oh my god oh my god. [2:31]

Everything Is Sorrow - "don't paint bluuueeee, all the time..." Stunning. [1:04]

Four Saints - the magical space electric guitar effect somewhere in the middle. I don't know how to describe it better. [2:28]

Find The Answer Within - the whole chorus here is amazing. This song was one of my first favourites and will always have a special place in my heart because of that. "You've got a lonely face, do you want my place..."

Lazarus - another grand one. The best part of the song? Definitely the bit where the echo-distortion-reverb-wavy-sound and the orchestra joins and the trumpets go "boom boom boom" (trumpets can't go boom boom boom though but you know what I mean) The best moment of the whole album. [1:11]

Blue Room In Archway - there are two excellent parts in this song. I hate the drums in the beginning (over the violins) and the good moment is when the drums go away and the violin is left alone. The other one is of course the chorus - it's so fucking loud compared to the other parts and I just love the strange vocoder/whatever effect on Sice's voice. And the little weeeeee effect between Aaarchwayyy and "searching all the places you could be, and I can feel your ghost over me" .

Blues For George Michael - the whole beginning. "Hey George Michael, you don't know me, but I know you very well... do-do-do-dododooo" (trumpets again)

Friendship Song - I just love this one, and not only because I've linked it with a special thing that belongs to my past. Martin sings on this, I think it's cool. "you can make me wanna kill you, at least i'll break your legs" - funny. but i know that you're hurting now... i've given everything i have and now i'm feeling drained. - sad. Just lovely.

The History of Creation, parts 17 & 36 - this one's fucking hilarious! Smile The bit where they all start laughing, just after the funny growling noise is the best part, it always makes me laugh as well. Because I'm a little special. [3:02]

There are many many more of course, but these are the ones I actually remembered. Don't worry, I didn't remember their exact places in the songs, I had to play them again and check those.

Anyway, this one deserves a special mention too...
Wilder - a great ending track for "Wake Up", but I HATE THE FUCKING COWBELL IN THE END. I played it at work (loud) once and everyone thought it's the fire alarm. Shocked

Idea
Atticus Finch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to make a confesion. I have never heard the Wake Up Boo, Come on Kids and Kingsize albums. Embarassed It is a situation i aim to remedy soon. After the EverytingsAF and Giant Steps period, when many a night was spent listening and playing my guitar along to them, i did wander from the path, i did taketh many drugs, listen to strange music and discover many strange things. My path did not cross the boo radleys again until i found a shiny ring whilst fishing at.................... sorry, until i discovered Carr's reincarnation as cardiff's new superhero, come to clean the streets and dispense justice in the metropolis.

Skyscraper - Solo - in comes one guitar, then another, then another, all weeping together! Awesome!

Last edited by Atticus Finch on Wed Mar 31, 2004 23:54; edited 1 time in total
Melz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will reply to this ace topic tomorrow when I'm not so incredibly tired and I've had a good old think.

Atticus - those three albums are vital!!!
One changed the way I look at music, Surprised
one saved my life, Shocked
and the other hasn't been bettered by any other album since it's release. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Melz.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 09:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monument For A Dead Century - [5:03] - The Flute Man The Flute!!!!!

Heavens At The Bottom Of This Glass - [1:40] onwards

Jimmy Webb Is God from [2:12] onwards is probably the greatest ending to a song ever , however, it's the bit at [3:12] where the strings go NANA nana naaaa. Slays me everytime.

Dozens and dozens more.

Kinks
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The huge drums at the start of I Hang Suspended.

The crazy drum and bass bit at the beginning of "Blue Room In Archway". In fact the Boo Radleys really knew how to start an album didn't they.

When the guitars kick in halfway through "Wilder". Absolutely beautiful.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'weeeeeeeeeee weee wee' sound in "The Future Is Now".

L&P
columbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost nearly there
beautiful track that mentions my home town... the only song i've heard that does - apart from its grim up north by the klf, and thats just nasty..[/b]
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Do you live in Crewe then?

My goodness. Shocked I just realised that 'Almost Nearly There' is playing on the background as I'm writing this message.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

goddammit, been here 5 minutes and already giving my secrets away...

and oh yeah.. the guitars at the start of lazy day - magic!
che

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

glastonbury 95.
"i bet most of you E'd up bastards are just waking up. are your arses stinging?"
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 00:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried posting this the other day but 'twas not to be....

Anyway...

The guitar solo at the end of Skyscraper, Martin hits a couple of notes so high dogs do backflips!

"Chords an' sex an' drrugss an' werdss" from "Charles Bukowski.."
On the subject of which, I'm listening to "Blue Valentine" by Tom Waits and it occurs to me that TW is kind of Bukowski set to music. Listen if you never have. Goes nice with a good whisk(e)y!

The trumpets in Spaniard.
bc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. i think the 'heart of saturday night' lp is pure bukowski.

i love 'raindogs'. '9th and hennepin' has some great poetic moments, my favourite being where he steals my favourite line from the film 'harvey' where james stewart says 'nobody ever brings anything small into a bar'.

Well it's Ninth and Hennepin
All the doughnuts have names that sound like prostitutes
And the moon's teeth marks are on the sky
Like a tarp thrown all over this
And the broken umbrellas like dead birds
And the steam comes out of the grill
Like the whole goddamn town's ready to blow...
And the bricks are all scarred with jailhouse tattoos
And everyone is behaving like dogs
And the horses are coming down Violin Road
And Dutch is dead on his feet
And all the rooms they smell like diesel
And you take on the dreams of the ones who have slept here
And I'm lost in the window, and I hide in the stairway
And I hang in the curtain, and I sleep in your hat...
And no one brings anything small into a bar around here
They all started out with bad directions
And the girl behind the counter has a tattooed tear
One for every year he's away, she said
Such a crumbling beauty, ah
There's nothing wrong with her that a hundred dollars won't fix
She has that razor sadness that only gets worse
With the clang and the thunder of the Southern Pacific going by
And the clock ticks out like a dripping faucet
til you're full of rag water and bitters and blue ruin
And you spill out over the side to anyone who will listen...
And I've seen it all, I've seen it all
Through the yellow windows of the evening train...
discoRdance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine Tom Waits covered The Beatles' For No One and released it as a single

think about it Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes
discoRdance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, the plinky plonk bit in Jimmy Webb Is God... all of Superintendent... the bit in Wilder that's like a plane taking off (er, minus the loud noise)

fuck, I'm not very articulate.

actually, I prefer all the bits of dialogue in the songs, always crack me up
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2