bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Great songs on crap adverts
Great songs on crap adverts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:30    Post subject: Great songs on crap adverts Reply with quote

Number 283 - 'California Soul' by Marlene Shaw on the new KFC commercial.

I used to think of dancing and hot Californian days when I heard that song. Now I will think of Chicken Zingers and Family Feast buckets.
bc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i've never heard that song before.

its ace but now it's being used for evil.

like 'waltzinblack'.

my soul hurts.

m x
discoRdance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

going slightly off topic, but, the other day I heard a Manic Street Preachers song in a third different advert...and it no length since Nicky Wire had an oh-so-profound sticker on his guitar saying 'adverts tell lies'
hah.
(for the record, the songs used were: Motorcycle Emptiness, Australia and If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next)
Hew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 06:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

come together by primal scream is currently being used in an advert for a bank here in america.... weird
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 07:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hew wrote:
come together by primal scream is currently being used in an advert for a bank here in america.... weird

Can they do that without PS agreeing to it? And if no, did Primal Scream agree for their song to be used on a bank commercial??? What is the world coming to?

L&P
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 08:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Moving On Up" is used on an advert for an internet company over in the UK and "Jailbird" was used on a jeans advert. Primal Scream may rage against the twin evils of capitalism and the use of vowels but seem more than happy to take cash from The Man when it suits them.

The Manics are worse though - "No adverts, No encores, No fanclub" was their original plan. But now they'll promote any old rubbish if they get paid enough. I realise that it must be hard to turn down a big bag of money if someone offers it to you but surely they've made enough now so that they can afford to at least pretend that they are step above the bloke who wrote the "Shake n Vac" jingle.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
"Moving On Up" is used on an advert for an internet company over in the UK and "Jailbird" was used on a jeans advert. Primal Scream may rage against the twin evils of capitalism and the use of vowels but seem more than happy to take cash from The Man when it suits them.

The Manics are worse though - "No adverts, No encores, No fanclub" was their original plan. But now they'll promote any old rubbish if they get paid enough. I realise that it must be hard to turn down a big bag of money if someone offers it to you but surely they've made enough now so that they can afford to at least pretend that they are step above the bloke who wrote the "Shake n Vac" jingle.

Well interesting, are the Manics above a guy who wrote a jingle? I don't think so, because the guy who wrote the jingle never pretended that he did it to fulfill the needs of his soul.

I think just taking money from The man isn't a problem, let's rob them! The problem is when they use your name, your music, your image, your thoughts etc to sell their own product. I just thought I'd clarify that.
Maybe Primal Scream try all the products and endorse the ones they like...hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Amor y Paz
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a problem with bands using their songs in adverts, just bands that I like. If Sting wants to use his music to sell cars then that’s fine by me but its just rubbish when you hear a song you like used in a crap advert because that’s what you think of when you hear the song from then on. "Faster" by the Manics is my favourite song ever but I don't think it would be if every time I played it I thought of an advert for "What Car" magazine or something.

Maybe your right though perhaps Telewest Broadband is Bobby Gillespies favourite internet provider and he let them use "Movin' On Up" to help spread the word about it.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky Wire probably wishes he could write something as good as the old Shake 'N Vac jingle now Smile

and that's nothing to do with his well-publicised Dyson fetish Rolling Eyes
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of jingles, what about 'XFM Is Ace' ?? Razz

*ducks*
Plank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

the manics have gone on too long, the fire has gone, i'm sure they have families and so on.

i'm no manics fan, but five days a week i do something pointless and shit for the money, so i'm not throwing stones here. if you're bill hicks you can make the call. but no-one is any more. sniff.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I have to ask here being a non music business person is:

Do the Manics have a choice? Do they own the rights to their songs?

Obviously Martin always had the power to say no, but do all bands enjoy this pleasure?

Kinks
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about doing something shit and pointless for money, there's nothing wrong with that. It's about having respect for yourself and others. Advertising is foul. Millions of pounds/dollars/yen etc spent on ways to make us buy stuff we don't need. I can't walk down the street or turn my computer on or listen/watch anything (beautiful bbc excepted) on the radio/tv or pick up a paper without some twat trying to flog me something without having the decency to be funny or intelligent about it (some exceptions of course). I'm a musician, not a salesman, if I had wanted to flog crap I would have got a job at Burger King. I wouldn't be able to look anyone in the eye if one of my songs was selling cars or jeans and not because I think I'm special but because I don't want to be a part of it. I want to look back on my life and be happy that I didn't do the devils work. If Primark Scream or the Manic Street Salesforce wanna do it then that's cool, I hope they all get what they're after. They all have a choice, the only person who can say yes to ads is the songwriter.

'XFM is Ace' was written because one of my best friends was a DJ there and I knew some of the people who ran it. This was before it was the capitol radio corpfest it eventually became. It was relatively underground and they were my friends. It was a song on a record, I wasn't trying to sell anything. If I wrote a song about how ace my cat was it wouldn't mean I was trying to sell her to you (tho' I will )

Anyway, after a hard afternoon banging on about nuthin I like nothing more than to sit back with a bottle of Monkey Beer mmmmm refreshing and sexy.

I'm going to Milano tomorrow to play a couple of gigs. I haven't left this shithole for more than two years so I'm well up for it. Matt Zabrinski is coming with me so if I'm not back on Monday avenge my death.

Love

Martin x
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even if they don't have to the rights to their own songs it will be because they've signed away that right at some point in the past. And given that they'd said that they'd never let their songs be used on adverts you'd think they'd make a point of ensuring it wouldn't happen.

I also do something pointless 5 days a week but I've never fleeced "The Kids" by pretending to be anything different than a money hungry young man. And even if I tried to I don't think they'd believe me.

Maybe I should grow up a bit and realise that most bands just want to get rich and get famous and any other claims are just PR nonsense.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great time Martin. Good luck. x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2