bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Safe As Book
Safe As Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over Xmas I read 'Spares' by Michael Marshall Smith and 'Survivor' by Chuck Palahniuk....Both very good.
gillworm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Constant Gardener after seeing the film - I've been a fan of Le Carre for years but somehow missed that book. it's impressive that the film was so well written when you consider that it had to be condensed and simplified to fit into a couple of hours storytelling.

anyway, i found the book sad and moving as well as intriguing and at times very funny - he slips in sly jokes that are wickedly funny. so when i got to the end I turned to the front again and started reading it all over again! definitely one of his best novels in recent years, in my opinion.

makes me want to trawl through the libary and re-read everything i don't own.
MS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 00:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also finished 'The Sacred Art of Stealing' & 'All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses and Eye' by Chrostopher Brookmyre Last month. Not very esoteric - but good fun to read.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spares by Michael Marshall Smith is one of the most entertaining books Ive ever read, it flips between funny and horrifying amazingly and some of the ideas in it are mental, I especially like Rapt.

Did anyone see that film The Island with Ewan McGrogor, I didnt but it sounded like a complete rip off of spares, at least the cloning parts anyway
Danger Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is everything shit? - by those two people who wrote it, can't remember their names.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Did anyone see that film The Island with Ewan McGregor, I didnt but it sounded like a complete rip off of spares, at least the cloning parts anyway

That's what I thought - so I looked on IMDB and there was no credit to Michael Marshall Smith. Went to MMS website and, needless to say, there was a fair bit of discussion on this.

It seems the option on the MMS book 'Spares' was bought by Dreamworks, they held it for a couple of years but it lapsed. Once lapsed - guess what? They produce a film which has a central theme based on exactly the same premise as the book but with no absolutely credit given to MMS. MMS said everyone seems to acknowledge this and althoug he contemplated legal action, he decide against it as he was unlikely to succeed against the might and resources of Dreamworks and their lawyers - so has put it all down to 'experience' and won't be dealing again with a Holllywood film studios.

Anyway don't go and see the film thinking it's the film of the book - 'The Island' just uses the premise of human Spares from the book, the film storyline is actually different (apparently).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to log-in. Last post was from me.
MS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was me!
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondust - a journalist interviews the main people involved with the Apollo missions to the moon in the late 60's/early 70's. Fascinating stuff, at one point 5% of America's GDP was being spent trying to get man to the moon, $25 billion in 1960's dollars which is still a fair bit of cash today.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell - about people forming opinions based on snap judgements. Like "The Tipping Point" I thought it was interesting and I love his writing style.

If you've got 5 minutes have a go at the "Race IAT" test on this website:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/selectatest.jsp

And if you've got another 5 minutes (and 28 seconds) listen to "Til I Die" by The Beach Boys twice.
gillworm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a secondhand copy of Little Drummer Girl by John le Carre. I'm a huge fan or his but I had been put off this book by the film which featured Diane Keaton. turns out it's a brilliant book, which meant that I fetched down all my other le Carres from the shelf and worked my way through them and I've made a list of the ones I don't have or haven't read and will be trawling through charity shops for nice copies. apart from the cost of new paperbacks I prefer the old covers, I even have a vintage film tie in version of the Spy Who Came In From the Cold with pics of Burton and Claire Bloom.
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Iain Banks greatness:

"Iain Banks' daring new novel opens in a loft apartment in the East End, in a former factory due to be knocked down in a few days. Ken Nott is a devoutly contrarian vaguely left wing radio shock-jock living in London. After a wedding breakfast people start dropping fruits from a balcony on to a deserted carpark ten storeys below, then they start dropping other things; an old TV that doesn't work, a blown loudspeaker, beanbags, other unwanted furniture . . . Then they get carried away and start dropping things that are still working, while wrecking the rest of the apartment. But mobile phones start ringing and they're told to turn on a TV, because a plane has just crashed into the World Trade Centre . . ."

Best book I've read for many a year.

xxx
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

im reading a book about Spike Milligan by hisd former manager. Very Good it is too.
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like baseball? Like statistics? Then you'll love Moneyball by Michael Lewis

It's about how a major league baseball team, the Oakland A's were able to compete with teams with millions more dollars than them by sacking all their scouts and using computers to predict who they should sign.

I like baseball, I am a geek and I really liked this book.
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS wrote:
Over Xmas I read 'Spares' by Michael Marshall Smith and 'Survivor' by Chuck Palahniuk....Both very good.

I can't believe I let a post mentioning Michael Marshall Smith pass me by!
He's great, incredible author. Everyone should read his first book, 'Only Forward'.

I'm still reading The Penguin History Of The World. It's a very fat book, but I'm doing well - up to about AD 1000 now, so I can now hold discussions about the spread of Christianity but know nothing about World War 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15