bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Bands to live for
Bands to live for

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 09:24    Post subject: Bands to live for Reply with quote

Since I developed my obsession for music around 1991 I've had a band virtually every year that could almost save my life.

I think maybe last year was the first in 12/13 years where that didn't happen...

Does anyone know of any new bands that could possibly return my faith this year? Don't get me wrong I can't wait for Zabrinski or Bravecaptain or Wilco or Ash (maybe) releases, but is anyone coming through with a debut that's gonna blow me away / reduce me to tears / make me wanna live?

I find I'm relying on Martin to save me more and more...... no pressure there than Wink

Kinks
xxxx
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this sort of thing in relation to the banal bands/Keane thread. Why does there seem to be no bands around today that I really love when 10 years ago there was Sugar, the Boos, Portishead, Orbital, Suede, Underworld, Oasis, Pavement, the Chemical Brothers, Nas and loads of other people releasing new stuff I wanted to buy. But these days there doesn't seem to be anything. I think I've only bought about 4 or 5 albums this year and its nearly June. I reckon that as you get older you've heard most things already and so you get harder to impress. If you're young and have never heard Oasis, The Stooges or anyone who's ever picked up a guitar then Jet probably sound new and great and you'd want to grow a crap beard and stop washing as a tribute to them. As someone once said in a review of a Manics single "its not retro if you've never heard it before".

At the moment I'm really looking forward to the Brave Captain album, the new RJD2 one and "High Water" by EL-P. But none of these are new bands so that doesn't really help.

The album I was most excited about hearing was "In Utero". I loved Nevermind soooo much and couldn't wait to hear their follow up.
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am kloot.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of what Jon says.

I have in a sense gone off my own taste in music, I'm very hard to impress nowadays.

I have bought a total of one album and a few singles this year, and the album was Yeti Shocked i really looking forward to Zabrinski / bravecaptain as even though they are not new they are constantly doing new things and staying fresh.

I'm going to go and see lot's of bands I've never heard of at Glasto this year, the headliners don't do it for me I'm afraid....
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another problem is the lack of places to hear about new bands these days. I used to find out about loads of stuff from "Select", "Melody Maker", "NME" and by listening to the Evening Session. But now "Select" and "Melody Maker" are gone and I'm usually busy when the Evening Session is on. Even if I wasn't I don't think I'd be able to sit through 2 hours of Zane Lowe. So the only time I get to hear new bands is 1) supporting bands at concerts 2) if they're big enough to make a video which gets shown on the music channels on Sky 3) when I make the effort to listen to John Peel or 4) I take a chance and buy a random CD.

There's probably as much good new music out there as ever if I made to effort to find it. However I can see myself becoming lazy and slipping into box set hell, spending the rest of my life buying the music I already own every few years in new formats with bonus tracks. Or maybe I'll become a "50-quid bloke".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1159112,00.html
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they have good new music on the goal round up's on Soccer AM as well.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say most of the music I buy nowadays is inspired directly from this board....

i can see a lot of me in 50 quid man. Most of my recent music purchases have been 5.99 albums thaty my brother has owned for years and I've heard a million times before.... Rolling Eyes
ciaranm

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's great music these days...most of it is in the pop charts, big singles from the american hip hop community,even that new nelly one is quite funky....the only problem is they get played to death.

I'm looking fwd to bdb, mercury rev, bc the most. The Streets has delivered, and if there is no new music to whet your whistle what's teh harm in getting into some old stuff. I've delighted myself which such oldies as forever changes, in sides by orbital, the haunted dancefloor (sabres of paradise), kraftwerk etc. etc.

Though I think a lot of it is psychological (personally). if something emotional, exciting etc is occuring in your life, the music of that period will have an unusually potent power.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
if something emotional, exciting etc is occuring in your life, the music of that period will have an unusually potent power.

Kinkster thinks hard..................

eeeeerrrrrrrrr................ Twisted Evil

Idea

bugger.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hang on I remembered.

The Scissor Sisters album is retro as fuck.

And I love it!!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with most of what's been written here.
I found the late 90's a particularly lean period. There was this idea that Oasis were the best band ever and that pretty much summed up the dire state of music. Even once great bands were producing lacklustre stuff, The Cure spring to mind along with The Verve, Urban Hymns would have been a good EP! (notable exceptions were probably OK Computer, C'mon Kids and Everything Must Go)
I think that music is associated with events in ones life. Music tends to mean more if it helps you through turmoil or reminds you of a fantastic time. I think if everythings running smoothly with no peaks or troughs music probably means less, you don't have that association.

There is good stuff out there. There's always the Binaries for "trying out" bands you're not sure of!
Forget Radio 1, it's target audience is probbly about 16-17, 6 Music is the place (requires DAB or SKY but is worth listening to).

My current favourite> Marbles by Marillion. This speaks to me in ways nothing has for years (please at least listen to it before you dismiss it as rubbish Wink).
Great Music is defined by what it means to you at a particular time in your life.
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody connection resets and logs you out!!!!!
The above is mine!

Scissor Sisters is way cool too BTW!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1