bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - I Can Live Without My Radio
I Can Live Without My Radio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 09:29    Post subject: I Can Live Without My Radio Reply with quote

Driving to work this morning I realised that all radio stations are rubbish. They play the same songs in the same order day after day and don't play new music before 10pm. Are there any decent radio stations anywhere?
Dave w.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

no Sad
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave w. wrote:
no Sad

Well that’s sorted then.

TV, on the other hand, is great. Especially when the programme is about Gordon Ramsey shouting at people. He is my new hero and I want to be chef. If only I'd paid more attention during Home Economics lessons at school.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, tv's great as well. god bless our wonderful media. Mad
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other media news, Disney are blocking distribution of Michael Moores new film because it might upset George Dubya's brother and he'll raise their taxes.

http://tinyurl.com/22fw2
ciaranm

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got the new series of the Sopranos, and fuck, it's better than ever. As for Michael Moore, if he researched his stuff properly and wasn't tripping over himself to get a new book out every three weeks, and hence had more time to edit his polemic, then I might be more interested in what he has to say. He's just another fucking brand name now (cool to be seen reading on the bus)
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Sopranos, however its always stuck on at stupid o'clock at night on Channel 4 over here. Another TV station should buy the rights to it and stick it on in prime time.
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
As for Michael Moore...........He's just another fucking brand name now (cool to be seen reading on the bus)

Well personally I think this is a complete and utter boatload of bollocks.
pscenario

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interests of impartiality...
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

pscenario wrote:
In the interests of impartiality...
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

I nearly read all of that, it did feel partial.

Also, surely not all documentaries are 100% correct? It just seems like the fashionable thing to discredit Michael Moore these days and this guy seems to be down with that. L&P
pscenario

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i just did a 4000 word final year film essay on this kind of thing. I wasn't saying that the website was impartial, i was just trying to balance out the previous post Smile

The whole point of a documentary is the representation of 'truth' or 'reality' (or other such ambiguous terms). Michael Moore's documentaries complain about the Bush administration's manipulation of facts and evidence, yet he does it himself. Just strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

It does seem to be fashionable to discredit him at the moment, but that doesn't make it wrong (or uncool) to do so. Rolling Eyes
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 08:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Michael Moore is about 100% truth, mind, but few documentaries manage to show the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The main thing Moore tries to show is true though...and what Michael Moore 'knows' about the Bush administration, politicians etc is probably only a fraction of the actual truth, tip of the ice berg. L&P
Kris

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 08:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up my earlier statement. I wasn't referring to Moore's poor research or his blatant misrepresetation of facts (yes it is hypocritical and the link given is a fascinating dissection of this).

The point I was referring to is the "Moore brand being cool to be seen wearing". For one thing, I think, as has been discussed above, that it is currently cooler to be seen slagging Moore off.

I aslo dont read Moores books or watch his films in a vain attempt to seem in anyway cool. And I don't believe anyone does.
ciaranm

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 09:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by what I said, nearly everybody I know waffles pedantic tripe straight out of Moore's books, as if they have somehow considered the arguments and gave thought to the issues. I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything!

It's like those little 10 paragraph question and answer sections for the celeb of teh day in teh Guardian.

Idea of heaven: Lying on a desert island reading Proust

Person you most detest and why? George Bush for what he is doing to the world.

It's invariable, and autofit answer and it sickens me the way it just rolls off everyone's tongue, as if tehy even thought it through. it's automatically putting you on a moral pedestal judging somebody and feeling good about it. Do these people really think that all threats to the world are sumarised in that one man? To honestly believe that these celebs are awake at night thinking about how much they detest George Bush is farcical, some frank honesty would be better

Idea of heaven?
Money
Person you most detest and why?
The fucker who gave my latest album/tv show/book a bad review. My ex wife/husband. The kid who bullied me in school.
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can slag off Michael Moore just because his books have started to sell loads of copies, its not as though he was massively right wing in the past but all of a sudden has started slagging off the Republicans. But I agree that an element of his appeal is that people can read them and think they're doing something for the good of the world and feel morally superior without actually having to do anything. People may read the books and think Tony Blair is an evil man etc. but they'll still vote for him if the economy is in a decent state. I'm guilty of it myself, I've read 'No Logo' and 'Fast Food Nation' and know about the harm caused by McDonalds, Nike etc but still buy their products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2