bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Shynola video producers...
Shynola video producers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillworm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 21:29    Post subject: Shynola video producers... Reply with quote

this evening I went to see a retrospective of work by Shynola, who have made videos with Blur, Radiohead, Unkle and many others. They chiefly use animations in their films, which means that for a change you don't have to watch the band pretending to play their instruments in unlikely places with no electricity...

I don't know about you, but I get very bored with the usual rock band video, which neither illuminates the song or tells a story or even gives you any insight into the band itself. The dark visions in the animation from Shynola were absolutely gripping, I was always glued to the screen trying to undertand and interpret what I was seeing. The one conventional band video with Blur - 'Crazy Beat' - was still miles more exciting than the usual.

So would you rather have animation, a story or fantasy built around the song, or would you rather watch your fave band pretending to strum?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post, gillie!
I like music videos with some kind of a story, for example 'November Rain' and 'Don't Cry' by Guns N Roses both have excellent videos, which was not very usual for that band!
The videos where you can only see the band play are usually quite boring, but not always. The worst ones are the ones where they try to mix up thost two - the video tries to tell some kind of a story, but every now and then they show the band playing again, just because they think it's necessary.
Some of the music videos with half-naked women are also good but for other reasons! Rolling Eyes
Melz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 00:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best video I have seen for a long time has still got to be "Juxtaposed With U" by the Super Furry Animals. Spectacular animation and I seem to notice something new each time I watch it.

Can't say I'm too familiar with the work of Shynola. I remember the "Crazy Beat" video and loved it, but I don't know any of their others. Which Radiohead videos were theirs?
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think simple videos are usually the best, even if it is just the band playing. The one for "Reptillia" by the Strokes is brilliant even though it just close up shots of the band But stuff like "The Scientist" by Coldplay and "Hardest Button To Button" by The White Stripes gets on my nerves, the visuals dominate the music to much. Having said that my favourite video ever is "Let Forever Be" by the Chemical Brothers which is really complicated but looks amazing.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melz - do you mean the Juxtaposed With U video on the DVD or the normal one? I've seen both and although the normal one is better than the average music video, I still don't think it's that great. The one on the DVD always makes me smile though, it's good.
Has anyone seen the video of 'Move Your Feet' by Junior Senior? That's absolutely brilliant! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1