bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Do you believe in love?
Do you believe in love?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 18:04    Post subject: Do you believe in love? Reply with quote

What I mean is, romantic love...I've come to think, more and more, that I don't think it actually exists...that aside from sexual relations it's not much different from having a friend.

I mean, isn't it really just an emotional adjustment to the biological necessity of reproduction? Wether you actually reproduce or not, the drive stems from that doesn't it? We feel attracted to someone because we're meant to so that we should one day wants to have sex with them and create new humans. If this drive didn't exist we would obviously not last long.

Say if you compare it to the love people have for their children, it's unconditional where as love between two partners is actually heavily based on demands. If your partner wasn't nice to you, you'd leave...so is it really love? Eh, I don't know...but I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. Go nuts!

Amor y Paz
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in a thing called Love... but not anymore after reading this thread. Ha! Rolling Eyes
Seriously though, I think it's something else than just wanting to have sex and have kids. Other animals just fuck each other because it's natural, reproduction is the meaning of their life (well, how do we actually know that?!). Humans are stupid enough to have other things in their lives as well, simply because a human is the smartest and stupidest animal.

So, I do think that romantic love exists... it doesn't necessarily work without sex though, at least not for very long! Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I once saw a document about monkeys on Discovery Channel, they said that monkeys probably have some kind of romantic love as well. It was a funny document.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Seriously though, I think it's something else than just wanting to have sex and have kids.

Maybe you mean strong feelings and butterflies etc, well, what I've started to think is that maybe these feelings are...fake...we feel them in order for us to reach a goal, a goal we do not have much control over since it's in our nature (even though some of us stray from the goal I think it's the same drive keeping us doing the same things as before).
Do you think your heart beating faster, transporting blood all over and helping THE RISE is love or simple biology?

Oh and let's say there was no reproduction involved...would we then not pair up for the purpose of escaping lonelyness...thus still not for romantic love?

Basically the question comes down to, do we consider human beings to be animals or something different...I think human beings are, by and large, animals.

Amoré é Pace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what exactly is 'romantic love' then?
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Well, what exactly is 'romantic love' then?

Precisely! I doubt it exists because it doesn't feel like romance exists for the sake of it, but rather because we're animals ruled by our instincts.

Love and Peace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you're a girl and you're supposed to believe in all those romantic things. How come I'm the one defending romantic love here now?! Rolling Eyes
It does exist, maybe you haven't been searching it hard enough. Or something. Haha.
ciaranm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because love might be a chemical response doesn't lessen its potency as an emotion. I believe people fall in love and it's a lot more intoxicating than being friendly with someone. If you are not in love it's hard to imagine how overpowering it actually is. It's like telling someone who is suffering third degree burns that you can undersatnd their pain because you blistered your finger on a zippo lighter. Personally, I'm not in love with anyone at the moment, but that's my opinion on the matter. Even if it is a load of all balls, why knock it, if it feels so profound and special?

I BELIEVE IN LOVE...........................
Kris

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in Love and I'm in Love and that Love saved my life and I couldn't ever tell you how important Love is to me.

x
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a coincidence because when I went off-line I watched a movie that was about the topic actually.

So anyway, maybe you're right but I think if we didn't have the drive to make babies we wouldn't love anyone like that...thus the reason for why I think it may not exist.

Yes, I'm not in love at the moment so I can't know (and I think I've never been in love either, just had 'crushes', so my argument is definitely colored), at the same time, the person who is in love is so intoxicated they may mistake other things for love.

And that was a horrible comparison...I for one never thought I understood severe pain like that just because I myself have not had it.

I often compare partner love to parent-child love, and it just seems so much less and weaker and disappearing (it should be noted I have a good relationship with my parent). Not compare in the sense that I think they should give exactly the same feelings but that people give and receive so much more to their children.

Something else that you may want to know, I don't love easily, I'm a serious believer that true love, in all its forms, takes a long time to develope.
And this subject, when I say I don't think romantic love really exists, I don't see it as a bad thing or that we should all stop romancing...

Love and Peace
darraghh

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

classic ciaran, comparing love to third degree burns.
My new favourite person is victor in big brother, who came out with this classic line to describe one of the other housemates

"she's about as stable as rick waller doing a riverdance on a three legged table..."
ciaranm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I thought that was a good metaphor. I took note of it for the novel I'm writing, tentativley titled, "the lengthening day: a study of unfulfilled dreams....." "How could she not know how he felt, sitting by the telephone, watching the May storms tear the last bloom of apple blossom from the tree his father planted in the back garden.

Darragh is in love you know.......................................................................with a fuckin big mac. supersized baby.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love...with a schampoo! HAHA!
Actually, it's the best shoes in the world I'm ion love with, my cat and dog shoes, they are so incredible.

Amor y Paz
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 08:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love is like 3rd degree burns is a fantastic quote and I will use it as the title if I ever release a heavy metal album. Don't worry Ciaran, I will credit you in the sleeve notes.
ciaranm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers John, It'll be up there with Smell The Glove....
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. And when its right its not a question of beliveing its a question of knowing.

Oh but you still get burnt mind Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2