bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:09    Post subject: Wilco - A Ghost Is Born Reply with quote

I've got hold of a copy, but don't worry I'll buy it when it actually gets released Wink

From the one listen I've had so far, it seems a little more difficult than their previous albums. However, the first track, "At Least That's What You Said" is worth the asking price alone. It's utterly utterly amazing, like every (good) Neil Young song you ever heard rolled into one.

Kinkster
x
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should really pick up "i am trying to break your heart" -- the documentary about them making "yankee hotel foxtrot" and all the legal/label hassles they had getting it out. it's superb.

x
Hew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wilco are brilliant. I have heard a few songs of the new album and they were good. One of the best live bands i've seen as well.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought yankee hotel foxtrot was quite difficult on the first few listens (haven't seen the film, but wasn't that what the record company thought?) but it's a great album. can't wait to hear the new one. is it out on 21 june?

i'm seeing them for the first time in manchester in july, so i'm glad they're good live!
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also struggled with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot at first but i came back to it a couple of months after I bought it and really liked it . I think I still prefer Summerteeth though. They do melancholy songs beautifully and I love his voice.
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 09:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, "yankee hotel foxtrot" did lack the immediacy of "summerteeth", but after a few listens it really grew on me. the record company (as record companies often do) didn't afford it the same courtesy, instead moaning about "lack of viable singles" and blah-blah-fuckin-blah. the interesting thing is that wilco were never a singles band to begin with.

in the movie you also see them sacking long-term band member jay bennett (and when they sack him you're actually glad to see him go) and being given their walking papers by their label, only to turn around and re-sell it to a subsidiary of said label (so basically they paid twice for it). it's nice to see the little guy win against the mega-corporate schmucks.

dig on it here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327920/plotsummary

x
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 09:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankee was the first album I'd ever heard by Wilco, and I honestly loved it the first time I heard it.

I got Summerteeth last week and also loved that the first time too.

The new album is great though Smile It's now on my Birthday wishlist cos I can't afford nothing from my own pocket Confused
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it odd that the label could refuse to release an Wilco album because its not commercial enough, its not as though they're the Backstreet Boys. Its like Ryan Adams label initially refusing to release "Love Is Hell". Its an album of downbeat songs about being a bit depressed, thats what most of "Heartbreaker" was so I don't know what the bosses were expecting him to write.

Having said that the record label told Blur they wouldn't release "Modern Life is Rubbish" unless they wrote some songs which could be released as singles so Damon went back and wrote "For Tomorrow", "Sunday Sunday" and "Chemical World". If he hadn't wrote those songs then it is doubtful that Blur would have gone on to be as successful as they were and they probably would have been dropped.
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus H Christ.

Third listen and "At Least That's What You Said" is the best opener to any album ever ever ever ever ever ever.

I am damn serious! Can't wait for next Monday and then Glastonbury shortly afterwards Very Happy
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought it this morning.

It's great, but still quite difficult to listen to all the way through. Yankee and Summerteeth are better, but it's definitely worth my hard earned cash Smile

Kinkster
xxx
chuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

been listening ot this a bit
it is a decent album isn't it
At Least that's What you Said is an brilliant song
and the likes of Company in my Back Hummigbird and Handshake Drugs are ace

Not perfect though. I'm a wheel seems a bit of a weak attempt at an upbeat rocker to me and there are one or two of the other tracks I'm not fond of either

different sounding album, but I think on a quality level about equal with Summerteeth. Yankee Hotel FOxtrot still supreme surely, I love every song on that bugger.
Hew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very impressed with the album. Company in my back, handshake drugs and wishful thinking are my favourites.
One of the bad things about living in the home town of a band is its impossible to get tickets for their gigs. I am having this problem with wilco right now. They are so good live. I think they'll be in England soon so go see them if you haven't before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1