bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - interview with dick green - brave captain's label boss..!!!
interview with dick green - brave captain's label boss..!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icantakeyouthroughthezone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:07    Post subject: interview with dick green - brave captain's label boss..!!! Reply with quote

http://www.poptones.co.uk/interviews/qod_dick_green.htm
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.
Interesting comments about Bravecaptain and Her Space Holiday. I saw HSH in London and bought the new album and the single - yes, they were good live and the album is excellent, but not MEGA.
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He was determined to show he could write a pop smash and he did. He just didn't want to do it again!"

Ah but he's written a squiilion pop smashes since then.

I'm starting to love bravecaptain more than I did the Boo Radleys Shocked

Kinkster
xxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 01:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
[iAh but he's written a squiilion pop smashes since then.

You're right, loads of the Brave Captain tunes could be big pop smashes but you need a big marketing budget to get songs known and played on the radio and I don't think Wichita has that. I only found out about the 'Better Living...' single when I found it in HMV.

I don't think having a big pop smash is as simple as writing a catchy chorus, sticking some trumpets in, its partly that but there's a lot of luck involved. "Wake Up Boo" happened at exactly the right time, people were interested in the Boo's after Giant Steps, Radio One was playing 'indie bands' in an attempt to prove they weren't all Smashie and Nicey types and the kids were interested in guitar bands again . 'Barney and Me' and 'Find The Answer Within' were just as pop-tastic but they didn't set the charts alight.

The other way for Brave Captain to sell more records would be to put his songs on adverts or films. No-one took any notice of 'Born Slippy' when it first came out but as soon as it appeared in Trainspotting it suddenly became the 'anthem of a generation' or something. I guarantee that if 'Weaponized' were to be used in a car advert (like 'Windowlicker' or 'Black Steel') then it would be in the top ten within a couple of months. But then every time you heard the song you'd think of alloy wheels, power steering and stuff like that and that wouldn't be good.

People slag that Creation book off for being long and dull but I thought it was good, much better than the Paulo Hewitt one that Alan McGee endorsed. David Cavanagh was always my favourite writer when he was writing for Select however I read a book recently where he said he was wasted virtually all the time he worked there. It would appear that drugs do work.
John M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 01:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep forgetting to log in, that was me and so is this.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 02:50    Post subject: Re: interview with dick green - brave captain's label boss.. Reply with quote

poptones wrote:
You've supported Martin Carr for years - first in the Boo Radleys and his current recording name - Brave Captain - what is the constant attraction to Martin's music?

they make it sound like he's an oddity for liking such things Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1