bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - mixed reviews on awobmolg
mixed reviews on awobmolg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulwhite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 21:22    Post subject: mixed reviews on awobmolg Reply with quote

there seems to be a lot of different opinions on awobmolg from the press.

some say it's electonic folk/whimsy (all though i can't see that myself bar bethesda and the mid part of every word you sound), but some say (and i quote) it 'sounds like a punch-up in the school music room.' I guess they're talking about the end of the title track and 'flow machines'

i think its a sort of mix of the two, plus a mix of a whole of a lot of other styles. Little Giant and Weaponized for instance wouldn't fall in either of those categories, whereas Good Life and Big Black Pig Pile are just pure pop in my opinion.

but why can't reviewers notice that, why do they have to pigeonhole it all the time?

I still love it, I think I prefer it to AFM on the first few listens anyhow. AFM seems to be a bit all over the place, as it mixes the old BC, with the new BC, and possibly goes on too long for my shortening attention span. Whereas 'All watched.......' seems much more complete somehow, and certainly has me wanting more. Which I'm pleased about as I was slightly disappointed with the E.P. preceeding it.

whitex
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 21:35    Post subject: Re: mixed reviews on awobmolg Reply with quote

paulwhite wrote:

some say (and i quote) it 'sounds like a punch-up in the school music room.'
whitex

imagine a punch up, with first one faction, then the other getting to play their owns style of music, that's what i think they mean. not a bad description, actually!

i suppose pigeonholing is designed to give the reader, who maybe hasn't heard the singer/band before and who can't hear the music, an idea whether it's their cup of tea or not. a pretty tricky job with the Captain!

really, that's one of strengths, isn't it? that it defies categorisation Smile
Hew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 05:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had chance to listen to it all once so far. I have listened to Good Life about 15 times though and it is fucking ace.
paulwhite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 16:51    Post subject: Re: mixed reviews on awobmolg Reply with quote

gillworm wrote:
paulwhite wrote:

some say (and i quote) it 'sounds like a punch-up in the school music room.'
whitex

imagine a punch up, with first one faction, then the other getting to play their owns style of music, that's what i think they mean. not a bad description, actually!

i suppose pigeonholing is designed to give the reader, who maybe hasn't heard the singer/band before and who can't hear the music, an idea whether it's their cup of tea or not. a pretty tricky job with the Captain!

really, that's one of strengths, isn't it? that it defies categorisation Smile

oh yeah, that is one of the strengths and it is hard to pigeonhole, but reviews don't recognize that, they always seem it as something bad that they can't pinpoint it to a strict genre, and it loses marks 'cause of it.

whitex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1