bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - For Kinkster (and anyone else who gives a shit)
For Kinkster (and anyone else who gives a shit)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 07:16    Post subject: For Kinkster (and anyone else who gives a shit) Reply with quote

Friday 1st October
Hope Of The States @ Double Door Chicago

Following an ordinary set by Inouk the lights went out and we waited for a while as they finished with the on stage tuning. Soon we were welcomed to the gig by the screen behind the drum set which mistyped a message by the band inviting us to enjoy the show.

Smokes and beer in hand they took the stage and launched into Black Amnesias. The amazing rendition was quickly followed by George Washington. On the screen we were presented with a video of happy americans celebrating some kind of street parade. Unfortunatly the vocal mix was a bit quiet. It was hard to hear Sam as he sang. The next song was one which was new to me, a b-side perhaps. Anyway a song that was not on The Lost Riots. It was safe anyway.

As the maybe half full 500 capacity venue applauded the last song, Sam invited the crowd to come closer to the stage as he sat at his piano. There followed BlacK Dollar Bills. Again it was hard to hear the vocals but the music carried the song along. The ending to that song brings a lump to the throat and was a definite cigarette moment. Goodhorsehynm was next and again I was in awe as i stood slightly to stage left a pint in my hand

At this point Sam became a little aggitated. The Vocal mix was upsetting him a bit as he went to sort things out. A good time to take a toilet break.
AS i emerged from the toilets i was greated by Nehemia. Safe Clart. Quickly followed by The Red The White The Blue The Black I knew this was one of those experiences you would tell your friends about for some time ahead.

At this point I went to get another pint in. While i was away there was a long introduction to the next song, during which Sam gave a cigarette to my friend. Fresh beer in hand i was a little disappointed to see there were only 2 songs left on the set list. Me Ves Y Sufres was next and the set closed with Enemies/Friends. Magic.

Sam and the violin player bloke stayed on stage and performed the hidden track on The Lost Riots, A crack up at the race riots. THe rest of the band then returned to the stage to do Static in the cities.

I have seen many gigs in my time and there are many that stand out as being particularly special

Radiohead in Grant Park Chicago
Boo Radleys opening for better than ezra at Metro Chicago
The Libertines at the Empty Bottle 200 capacity venue

This was up there. After the show I was able to give my best to Sam who signed my poster i stole from the wall.

Enjoy Mr Kinkster. Hope Of The States is 4 real and you fucking knows it clart.
Kris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff Hew, thanks for the review Razz

Kinks
che

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

LP of the year. Fact.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know they don't give a fuck about anybody else, clarts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1