bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Anyone seen Mulholland Drive?
Anyone seen Mulholland Drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:54    Post subject: Anyone seen Mulholland Drive? Reply with quote

Anyone care to explain it to me?

I've never seen such overrated work, David Lynch is such an overrated director. Still, I'd like to understand MD. L&P
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
But I saw The Omen last night. It scared the hell out of me when I was a kid and I can see why. Why don't they make those good horror movies anymore? It's a shame that the sequels were quite poor, but The Omen is in my opinion one of the best horror movies ever, up there with The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby and Night Of The Living Dead.

Right... Back to Mulholland Drive then. I just had to say this. Rolling Eyes
Melz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we're into "bumping" old threads, I saw Mulholland Drive last night.

At first I admit I was in full agreeance with a review on Amazon by someone called mr_mann, who said:
"This film should come with a free goatee beard to stroke at the end
PRETENCIOUS
One star and Five Yawns"

However, I found this essay on the internet which pretty much explained everything for me.
http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~dhay/mulhollanddrive.html
(Plot spoilers galore, so I'd recommend watching the film first.)

Melz
joeloke22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 've seen mulholland dr., Rolling Eyes but i can't seem to remember what it was about, so it must of sucked in the most, cos i only remember the good ones.
ciaran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i remember an erotic lesbian scene from that movie, not much else, typical david lynch crap, odd angles and dwarfs talking backwards, a nice cameo by bill ray cyrus, who incidentally stars in a tv show called doc about a country bumpkin doctor from montana sent to work in new york and all the hilarity and sentimentality that ensues.
Mr Meister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to go back over old ground, but couldn't sit back and see david lynch dissed!

Lynch is a genius and like most geniuseses has made the occasional piece of crap, but what about Twin peaks (best TV show EVER), what about Eraserhead and Wild at Heart? what about muthaf**in' Blue Velvet?!

As for Mulholland Drive, I would urge anyone who hasn't see it yet NOT to be put off by the above. Okay so it's extremely surreal but that's cos it is a mad trip of a film and (strokes goatte beard) the cinematography and sound are truly stunning. it's the sort of film big f**-off TVs and surround sound were made for. i've watched the film several times and am still piecing together what the film is about, but that's what makes it great...it's like a classic album, you always find something new each time you play it. the dvd even comes with a list of clues from lynch as to how to unravel the film's secrets, how cool is that.

And it does have a great lesbian scene about half way through. it works on so many levels.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mr Meister on one point, don't be put it off by us, watch it yourself and judge.

I still stand by my original belief though, it's not very good...good cinematography? I've seen better. I will not judge the sound because sound is very much out of my knowledge.
All the while I watched the movie it gave me a very B-movie vibe. It definitely felt like it was the name 'Lynch' that saved it from the tag.

As for the lesbian scene, I failed to see the greatness of it, granted, I never call love scenes great because they really don't add much.
I am still trying to find why men like lesbians...and the closest I've come to an explanation has been that they like the idea of being with two women...well get this, they are LESBIANS, the whole point is that they DON'T want you...

I did like one thing about Mullholland Drive, Scott Coffey, and that's only cos I've met him and he's a very nice dude (met him before I'd seen the movie and knew who he was, I watched MD mostly because I wanted to see him in it...haha).

Love & Peace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 07:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
they are LESBIANS, the whole point is that they DON'T want you...

maybe they're bisexuals.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 09:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

By they I meant lesbians, not the characters in the film.

L&P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1