bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Hunter S Thompson
Hunter S Thompson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 09:05    Post subject: Hunter S Thompson Reply with quote

gutted.

mx

Hunter S Thompson commits suicide

The writer was found dead at his home near Aspen, Colorado
Hunter S Thompson, the American counterculture writer, has been found dead at his home in Colorado.
Police said the 67-year-old shot himself. His body was found by his son.

He is best-known for his 1972 account of a drug-addled Nevada trip, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Other books are Hells Angels and Generation of Swine.

He pioneered "gonzo journalism", a factual style in which the writer was an essential part of the story, and was an acute observer of American life.

Decadence and depravity

In a statement to the Aspen Daily News, Thompson's son, Juan, said: "Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family."

The writer was known for his observations on the decadence and depravity of American life.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas became a psychedelic classic, telling the story of Thompson's drug-hazed road trip across the western US in search of the American Dream.

Thompson was portrayed on screen by Johnny Depp

The story was eventually made into a movie starring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro.

Thompson also wrote the satire Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72.

"Fiction is based on reality unless you're a fairytale artist," he told Associated Press news agency in 2003.

"You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it."

The writer's first ever novel, The Rum Diary, written in 1959, was only published in 1998.

His most recent work was Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness, a collection of his columns.

Tricia Louthis, spokeswoman for the Pitkin County Sheriff's Office, said it appeared the writer had committed suicide.

"We do have confirmation that Hunter Thompson was found dead this evening of an apparent self-inflicted wound," she said.

PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck me -- that's the worst news i've heard all year.

sleep tight, mr. duke.

x
joeloke22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the mob had him executed & covered it up by makin' it look like he commited suicide, but then again, i could be wrong....... Rolling Eyes just an assumption.
Rich Left Side Brain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted, indeed.

It may sound a bit crass, but I always feared it would end up in a violent end... There he was, up there in that compound with all those guns...

RIP Dr Gonzo...
joeloke22 (not logged in)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes wus he even sad or depressed? it would make no sense if he shot himself for no reason.
Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am gutted at this. It seems such a shock in a way. The things he did for literature was amazing, and his following shall miss him.
The guy didn't need to appear depressed or sad in order for him to feel he had no other way. My best mate took a fatal overdose just over two years ago, she was barely twenty three. If anyone had met her, there is no way anyone could suspect why she did it, but she did. These things happen, and yet there is no reason for the rest of us to be able to get on and understand why. It seems that if you go and say to any doctor these days that you are a bit down, they fob you off with a quick fix of anti-depressants and that is it. The medical depression seems to have a big disinterest in mental health problems, and its only when people kill themselves people realise how ill they were. Hunter S Thompson may have been the same, he may have appeared to have been fine, but in the dark he may have been dying inside, and people just didn't realise. Many people see suicide as a completely selfish act, probably the most selfish, but is it? If these people wanted to die, and discover what's after this world who is anyone to judge them. Yes, everyone goes through crap in their time, but some of us are stronger than others. Are we the selfish ones for saying that these people must go on like all of us? Or is it we call these people selfish because some of us haven't got the nerve to do such a thing because we are afraid. Yes people who commit suicide leave loved ones behind, but would their loved ones want to live with the misery these people are destroyed by everyday. Personally, I miss my mate like mad and part of me wishes she was still here dragging me to the pub and driving me mad with 3am telephone calls when she was pissed speaking gibberish, and speaking in a language only we understood. However part of me knows that she is probably happier where she is now, whether it be heaven or hell or any other unknown place, and I don't feel the anger for her doing it.
Suicide is a horrid, nasty thing, but the pain these people have is something that no-one can really put into words.

Rest peacefully Hunter S Thompson, may you be happier where you are now. The world will miss you.[/quote]
brave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading for the great escape
Heading for the rave
Heading for the permanent holiday

Heading for the winter trip
Heading for the slide
Heading for the dignified walk away

Heading for the open road
Goodbye to all that
Heading for the automatic overload

Standing in the open boat
Standing in the swing
Waiting for the ringing and the bright light

Waiting to be recognised
Quiet applause will do
They shower you with flowers when they bury you

You're holding on, you're holding on ...

Just when I thought I'd seen the last of you
You come here scratchin' at my door
Your pain and anger's in the howling dark
Of every corridor I walk

So tell me more about the love that you rejected
Tell me more about the trust you disrespected
I still don't know, why did you hurt the very one
Why did you hurt the very one
That you should have protected?

Heading for the great escape
Heading for the rave
Heading for the permanent holiday

Heading for the high cloud-nine
Heaven number seven
Heading for the long goodbye

Uncurl the fingers that hold
Summon the strength to let go
Out of the tired world
Out of the upset
Into the sunset
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

he wrote about suicide quite a bit.

he's not happier where he is now because he is nowhere. he is dead.

he hasn't been too well recently, maybe he didn't want to spend the rest of his life not being able to do the things that he liked to do.

mx
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there's afterlife and it includes drinking and smoking pot and travelling in time and football.

Rest in peace, mr HST.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
maybe there's afterlife and it includes drinking and smoking pot and travelling in time and football.

and tea and chocolate biscuits! Shocked
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 04:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real surprise with this, the irony, is that it seems to have been intentional. I love this man. He taught me an awful lot about the harsh reality of things. About living as an idealist in a world drowning in pig shit and vomit. And how absolutely important that little struggle is. In the end I think he might not have been able to deal with another round of Kissinger/neocon bullshit in the face of physical disability. Perhaps the best tribute would be for us real, feeling, suffering human beings to continue to "piss down the throats of these Nazis"

rest in love, Hunter.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 16:12    Post subject: Don't try to brainwash me, it won't work. Reply with quote

well one thing fur sure is, if i had a friend that had no intention of killing his/her-self & the autopsy revealed that he/she killed his/her-self, i still would'nt believe it. I would'nt care who'd try to convince me or what anyone says, whether it'd come from psychics, family, gangsters, mobsters, media, doctors, coppers, mediums or anyone at all.

"NO ONE CAN GET INSIDE MY HEAD, MY BRAIN IS UNWASHABLE."
- joeloke22
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it was always there, in his writing. i would have been surprised if he had died a natural death.

anyway it doesn't matter. if you haven't read any of his books i would humbly recommend 'the great shark hunt' and 'fear and loathing on the campaign trail'.

mx
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

"he's not happier where he is now because he is nowhere. he is dead."

You can't know that for sure, there could be an after life.

Love & Peace
joeloke22 (not logged in)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravecaptain wrote:
but it was always there, in his writing. i would have been surprised if he had died a natural death.
I'm sure he did commit suicide, it's just that nowadays alota bad things go on here in the U.S. with (Secret Organized Crime), don't know about how things are over there in europe, but what I'm tryin' to say is that nothing is real anymore. Nowadays if you got enough money you can getaway with anything and it does'nt matter what it is, whether it be illegal narcotics, murder, illegal gambling etc. In other words all people or most people think about is money and it's very disturbing and disgusting.

bravecaptain wrote:
anyway it doesn't matter. if you haven't read any of his books i would humbly recommend 'the great shark hunt' and 'fear and loathing on the campaign trail'.
Thanx! will try to read them in my spare time. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2