bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Dig
Dig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 02:57    Post subject: Dig Reply with quote

Anyone seen it? Its a documentary, if you will rockumentary, about the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols, following them over the past 7 years. Its good but not as good as I thought it would be, I think it lacked a great ending. In end The Dandy Warhols get fairly big and the BJM don't and thats it really.
sturart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 03:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that at the london film festival (but had to run away at the end to catch a train and missed a Q&A with the director, which was a shame) i thought it was excellent; really funny. I didn't really have any expectations for it before i went in; I'd never heard of BJTM. I suppose the film festival vibe may have added to my enjoyment but i'm sure i would have liked it anyway. As for the ending, well, it's a documentary, and based on stuff what's happened, so what do you expect? A big explosion? Wink I don't recall being dissatisfied with the way it ended.
John M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 04:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big explosion would have been good! I don't know what I wanted, I suppose it wanted it to be like "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" - the record get released and its all OK. It would have been good if the Dandys had got incredibly huge or fell apart but they didn't really. The most amazing thing was hat the video for "…Junkie on Earth" cost $400,000. What does that money go on? Surely make up isn't that expensive. Or maybe it is.

I'd never here of BJM either, they should have made up an ending where they became huge and that mad lead singer became president or something. I thought that bloke 'Joel' from BJM came across really well though and had cool sunglasses throughout the film.
sturart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 01:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they just made stuff up for the end it wouldn't really be in keeping with the cinéma vérité style. Smile

Joel was defintely very cool; I liked when they sent him to sign the conracts instead of Anton to make sure it didn't get fucked up.

My favourite line from the film was something like: "...motherfucker broke my sitar!" perhaps one of the finest comedy moments of any film ever .

As for the costs of the Junkie video, film stock is pretty expensive and not forgetting all the props, including a burning sports car (or maybe not i might be remembering wrong), all the dancers dressed as hypodeemic nurdles, plus the costume designers, these things all add up. And remember makeup can be quite expensive when so much is used that Courtney Taylor doesn't recognize himself; he should know what he looks like on film, he's done "thousands" of videos. Smile
Hew

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 05:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just seen this and i thought it was very good. I just ordered the 'best of' Brian Jonestown Massacre cd. It was quite painful at times to see him completely self destruct. They had, have some great songs. I had not heard them before this.
Hew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre last night. It was equally brilliant and frustrating. They have some really fucking good songs and when the band is 'on' they are amazing. The only bad thing was the huge breaks between songs. Anton had a 10 minute argument with someone in the crowd that almost got a bit nasty. (just like the film i guess). And when told that they could only play for 10 more minutes as it was almost closing time they played a song that lasted at least 30 minutes. He is clearly very talented as a musician but i'm not sure if anton is really just insane or an actor.
cheesybellybutton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 09:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love BJM. However, they are exceptionally frustrating to watch live. It can be likened to an elusive orgasm after a drug bender... YES! AWWWWW!!! DAMMIT! NOOOOO!!! Oh, just get on with it!!

Ever see their "single" that came out on Organ Records that was actually about an hour long? Find that one. It's a gem.

Anton is indeed a nutbag, but he's got a really good heart (somewhere, deep down inside). You can check out his daily rants on Myspace if you are so inclined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1