bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greece 0 - 2 Sweden

What a yawn-fest, I wish I could have seen the earlier game instead of this... Two ultradefensive sides, both team were just passing the ball around their own area until Ibrahimovich scored the first goal of the game on the second half. It was a nice shot though, but this guy needs to work on his goal celebrations.
The second goal that came only moments later was the luckiest goal of the tournament so far. I'm not gonna describe it here, it wasn't the prettiest of goals but you'll have to see it.

Greece were awful in attack, they did have some almost-chances, but Sweden were more effective tonight. Can't see them going very far in this tournament until they improve their game as well though, but well, you never know.

Man of the Match : Zlatan Ibrahimovich... well, he didn't do much in this game, but the goal was ok.

Worst Goal Celebration of the Day : Zlatan Ibrahimovich.

George Clooney Look-alike of the Day : Antonios Nikopolidis.

Exclamation
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Holland 3 - 0 Italy

Easily the best game of the tournament so far, and what a performance by Holland!

Holland broke into a quick counter-attack after Italy's corner kick, Dirk Kuyt passed the ball to Wesley Sneijder inside the box after some really nice passing, and Sneijder blasted the ball to the front corner past Buffon. Goal of the tournament so far?

Question of the Day : What's the difference between Holland and Netherlands? Confused

it was indeed the best game so far... simply because not only was it lively, but it wasn't just one team responsible for the more exciting moments. The turning point was obviously Holland's first; allowing it to stand is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Ludicrous explanation from the authorities on why they consider it valid. Nearly every time you see a new variation on a goal that everyone (usually, rightly) thinks shouldn't be allowed, for reasons of offside, it's that Flying(-to-the-ground-at-any-opportunity) Dutchman on the end of it. Amazing.

on its own merits, I'd agree that Holland's 2nd goal is goal of the tournament so far (not there's been nearly enough to choose from, bah humbug). Their third was also a joy to watch, although not as much as it would have been if Dirk could have put it away in the first place, but it wasn't easy for him, and he recovered the situation well to set up another on a plate for his teammate.

I had a Dutch taxi driver recently, and asked if I should say Holland or the Netherlands. He didn't seem that bothered... or else maybe I'd remember which he said.
Razz

maybe I should find out, as I'm going there before the end of the month Exclamation
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Spain 4-1 Russia

Didn't see this game either, saw the goals though so I guess it was an exciting game. discoRdance was raving about "Torres' part in the first goal", but looks like it was David Villa who stole the show.

I wasn't raving Razz

it was a decent game, thanks to Spain... Russia were a big let down. Spain's first two goals weren't far off Holland's 2nd and 3rd against Italy for quality. For the first, it was a good run from Torres, who looked like he might have messed up, but persisted and won the ball back and a route for himself into goal as the Russian 'keeper closed in, before making a sublime, quick pass sideways to set up Villa, who couldn't miss. Good movement, passing, and finish from Villa, between a few Spain players, for the 2nd. The game started fading from there on in, though.

well done Spain Razz
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czech Republic 1 - 3 Portugal

0-1 Deco - 8 mins.
1-1 Sionko - 17 mins.
1-2 C. Ronaldo - 63 mins.
1-3 Quaresma - 90+1 mins.

Missed this game as well. Confused
I'm kinda glad though as I can't stand that Portuguese winker who scored one of the goals today, and I wanted Czech Rep to win this anyway.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switzerland 1 - 2 Turkey

1-0 Yakin - 32 mins
1-1 Senturk - 57 mins
1-2 Turan - 90+2 mins

The first half was played in ridiculously wet conditions, if this wasn't televised all over the world, I'm sure that they would have called off this game.
Unsurprisingly, the first 45 minutes weren't very entertaining. Switzerland were the luckier of the two sides, Hakan Yakin got a low cross in front of the goal, the ball stopped in a puddle of mud, and Yakin tapped it in.

Fortunately, the rain stopped during the half time, and the second half turned out to be quite exciting, both teams had a couple of good chances. The pitch was still wet of course, so the players made a lot of mistakes.

Turkey's equaliser came on the 57th minute, Nihat crossed the ball very far from the left wing, and Senturk made a powerful header that went in... the goalkeeper really should have saved it though, in my opinion...

The game could have gone either way after this, both teams had their chances to win the game. Turkey seemed to be happy with a draw, but on the injury time of the second half Ardan suddenly got the ball on the edge of the box, his shot got a heavy deflection off Swiss defense, and the ball went above the goalkeeper and into the goal. Very very (un)lucky!

Switzerland are out of the tournament, which is a big shame, because I felt that they were very unlucky in both of their games so far! Turkey will have to win Czech Republic in the last game of the group to qualify for the next round. Portugal are already through.

Annoying Player of the Day : Stephan Lichtsteiner [SUI] - jesus, this guy needs to calm down! He seemed to be shouting at everyone for 90 minutes today, especially at the referees when their decisions went against him. I was afraid that he would soon kill someone. Sad

Funny Ears of the Day : Nihat [TUR]

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Turkey will have to win Czech Republic in the last game of the group to qualify for the next round.

Actually, that's not true.
If Turkey and Czech Republic draw, they'll have the exact same records, so in that case a penalty shootout will take place.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croatia 2 - 1 Germany

1-0 Srna - 24 mins.
2-0 Olic - 62 mins.
2-1 Podolski - 78 mins.

Shocked

The shock of the tournament so far. I missed this game though...
Croatia were so poor against Austria on Sunday, and Germany were so much better than Poland... and now this. The final round should be exciting, anyone can still go to the quarter finals.

Looks like I missed the first red card of the tournament too. Red cards are always fun when players that you don't like get one. Sad

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austria 1 - 1 Poland

0-1 Guerreiro - 30 mins.
1-1 Vastic (pen) - 90+1 mins.

What a dramatic match! Not a very good game though, but still very dramatic. Austria were dominating the first 30 minutes, until Poland scored a goal from their first decent attack. An offside goal.

Little by little Poland gained more control of the game, on the second half Poland were just defending and Austria's poor attacking players couldn't do much.

However, on the injury time of the second half an Austrian player was brought down in a free kick situation inside the penalty area. The referee was poor throughout the match, I'm not sure if this was really the right decision either, but I think that Austria deserved it. Ivica Vastic stepped up to take the penalty and buried it to the upleft corner of the goal.

Croatia are in the quarter finals, Austria will have to beat Germany to go through, a draw should be enough for Germany.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy 1 - 1 Romania

0-1 Mutu - 55 mins.
1-1 Panucci - 56 mins.

Didn't see this one, but apparently it was a really good game. Buffon saved Adrian Mutu's penalty on 81th minute and Bogdan Lobont made some good saves too.

Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland 4 - 1 France

1-0 Kuyt - 10 mins.
2-0 Van Persie - 59 mins.
2-1 Henry - 71 mins.
3-1 Robben - 72 mins.
4-1 Sneijder - 90+1 mins.

Another excellent game, that kind of died after Robben's 3-1 goal.
The scoreline flatters Holland, but of course they deserved to win. It looks like they've succeeded in everything in this tournament so far - some call it luck, others say that it's extraordinary skill. I think it's a bit of both...

Kuyt scored 1-0 for Holland on the 10th minute of the game. Van der Vaart's corner kick found Kuyt's head on the near post, Malouda wasn't strong enough to beat him, and Kuyt headed the ball in.

France were very passive on the first half, they managed to create a few chances, but Van der Sar didn't have much to do.

France started the second half well, they were clearly more attacking and Holland were in trouble at times. But the finishing by the French forwards was very poor. Henry had an excellent chance to score when he was through on goal, he tried to lob the ball over Van der Sar, but the ball went well over the goal as well.

It looked like France were controlling the game at that point, but then came Holland again and shocked the French with a quick counter-attack. Van Nistelrooy got the ball on the left wing, cleverly turned with it and flicked the ball cleverly to Robben who was free on the wing. Robben ran with the ball to the edge of the box, passed the ball to Van Persie who was waiting on the back post, and Van Persie blasted the ball towards the goal... Gregory Coupet got his hands on it, but the ball slipped into the goal.

Even at this point things didn't look totally hopeless for France, there was still much time left and France were still creating chances. On the 71st minute Thierry Henry finally scored - Willy Sagnol crossed the ball perfectly from the left wing and Henry beautifully deflected it in.

However, Holland got another goal less than a minute later, I think the French defence was still celebrating the goal. Robben got the ball on the left wing straight from the kick off, somehow got past two French defenders, and blasted the ball into the front corner from a very tight angle... It was a great shot, but Coupet really should have saved it.

It was obvious that France wouldn't recover from that, they can only blame themselves for all the wasted chances. Holland scored one more goal on the injury time - Wesley Sneijder got the ball on the edge of the penalty area, turned with the ball, beating the pathetic French defence, and shot an accurate shot that went in off the crossbar. Another great goal.

The final games in Group C will be extremely exciting now. Italy and France are playing against each other next Tuesday (I think), and a draw won't be enough unless Holland beat Romania by at least three goals. Even if Italy or France win that game it might not be enough to qualify, it all depends on the Romania vs. Holland game as well. Holland are already through, so perhaps they'll be resting their best players...

Exclamation
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 00:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Kuyt scored 1-0 for Holland on the 10th minute of the game. Van der Vaart's corner kick found Kuyt's head on the near post, Malouda wasn't strong enough to beat him, and Kuyt headed the ball in.

you meant, Kuyt's head found Van der Vaart's cross, despite his opponent doing his best to foul him

Wink

well played, Dirk Exclamation
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweden 1 - 2 Spain

0-1 Torres - 15 mins.
1-1 Ibrahimovic - 34 mins.
1-2 Villa - 90+2 mins.

Boring. The right team won the match. Villa's injury time winner was superb.
That's all.

I'm preparing for tonight's other yawn-fest.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 19:18    Post subject: it wasn't THAT bad! Reply with quote

hey, don't forget the penalty Spain should have had just before half-time
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I notice how quick the authorities were to come out and say the referee was right to allow RVN's goal against Italy (although he wasn't), but a complete silence on it being wrong to disallow Toni's goal against Romania.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greece 0 - 1 Russia

0-1 Zyryanov - 34 mins.

The game was slightly better than I expected. Both teams had their chances, but Russia were the better team tonight. The only goal of the game came on the 34th minute when the Greek goalkeeper Nikopolidis rushed off his goal to clear a long cross, obviously thinking that he could put the ball to safety before Russian Semak reaches it.
Semak fooled Nikopolidis with a great overhead kick, he managed to make a perfect cross for his teammate Zyryanov who was left unmarked in front of the goal, and he simply couldn't miss that chance.

Funny Ears of the Day : Giorgios Karagounis

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 132 of 143