bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The F*ck Me, My Team Won The Champions League Thread
The F*ck Me, My Team Won The Champions League Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discoRdance

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 23:01    Post subject: The F*ck Me, My Team Won The Champions League Thread Reply with quote

The Best Comeback Ever (TM) in the best final ever!

How funny was that impersonation of Grobbelaar by Dudek? Very Happy
discoRdance

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fan of a certain other club who likes to call its team the Reds, when there's only one true Reds Wink tried saying Liverpool's comeback (3 goals down in the biggest club match there is) wasn't the best ever. So I worked out that only 4 teams have ever scored as many as 3 goals in the final and still not lifted the cup, including Milan on Wednesday night. Here are the finer details of the years, teams, results, scorers, and how the games progressed.

1956 Real Madrid CF 4 – 3 Stade de Reims-Champagne
1960 Real Madrid CF 7 – 3 Eintracht Frankfurt
1962 SL Benfica 5 – 3 Real Madrid CF
2005 AC Milan 3 – 3 Liverpool (Liverpool won 3 – 2 on pens)

Real Madrid: Di Stefano 15, Rial 30, 79, Marquitos 72
Reims: Leblond 6, Templin 10, Hidaigo 62

0 – 1 to Reims
0 – 2
1 – 2
2 – 2
2 – 3
3 – 3
4 – 3 to Madrid

Real Madrid: Di Stefano 26, 29, 74 Puskas 44, 56 (pen), 60, 71
Frankfurt: Kress 18, Stein 72,76

0 – 1 to Frankfurt
1 – 1
2 – 1
3 – 1
4 – 1
5 – 1
6 – 1
6 – 2
7 – 2
7 – 3 to Madrid

Benfica: Aguas 25, Cavern 34, Coluna 61, Eusebio 68 (pen), 78
Real Madrid: Puskas 17, 23, 38

0 – 1 to Madrid
0 – 2
1 – 2
2 – 2
2 – 3
3 – 3
4 – 3
5 – 3 to Benfica

AC Milan: Maldini 1 Crespo 39, 44
Liverpool: Gerrard 54 Smicer 56 Alonso 60

1 – 0 to Milan
2 – 0
3 – 0
3 – 1
3 – 2
3 – 3
2 – 3 to Liverpool after a penalty shoot-out

Liverpool is the ONLY team to trail by 3 goals in the final and still win the cup!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

discoRdance wrote:
a fan of a certain other club who likes to call its team the Reds, when there's only one true Reds Wink tried saying Liverpool's comeback (3 goals down in the biggest club match there is) wasn't the best ever.

Hmm. Was that me in some other thread? Confused
It was the best comeback in any final that I can remember, but I'm not sure about the best comeback in any match ever...
Still, great to see Sami Hyypiä and Liverpool win, hopefully this wasn't his last match as a first team regular.
Finnan, Traore and Baros were all awful, and why did Benitez take a risk and let Kewell start the game? Benitez is a bit of a necromancer though, I don't know what he did during the half time but Liverpool rose from the dead on the second half. Amazing. I wonder how many people turned off the telly after Milan's third goal went in... I know a few (one of them is a Liverpool fan!), and I can only feel sorry for them. Rolling Eyes
Nice Grobbelaar imitation by Dudek and good saves in the penalty shootout, but I can't believe that the referee didn't see that Dudek was very much off the goal line all the time.
Does Liverpool have any other nicknames? "The Reds" is a bit boring, I never really thought about it before, but every team that plays in red (and there are lots of them!) is called the Reds! I think I'll call Barnsley "the Tykes" from now on, that sounds pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 04:46    Post subject: dRd sayzzz... Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
Hmm. Was that me in some other thread? Confused

No. It was a Manchester Buccaneers fan Razz

Tommy BOO wrote:
It was the best comeback in any final that I can remember, but I'm not sure about the best comeback in any match ever...

I've not said in "any match, ever," and I don't think any (or many) others are either, but it is, statistically speaking AT LEAST the best comeback in a European Cup final, spanning the 50 years of the competition. And no club competition is revered more worldwide than the European Cup/Champions League. Oh, and it's not like they were up against some rubbish team.

Tommy BOO wrote:
Still, great to see Sami Hyypiä and Liverpool win, hopefully this wasn't his last match as a first team regular.

it's only fair to say that I started following Liverpool because of their Irish connections (four Rep. Of Ireland internationals were regulars in the side at the time), and as much as I appreciate your apparent happiness for Sami as a fellow Finn, followed by Liverpool, I don't harp on about it being great for Steve Finnan and Liverpool all the bloody time. Razz
sheesh, when are you and Sami tying the knot? Wink

Tommy BOO wrote:
Finnan, Traore and Baros were all awful, and why did Benitez take a risk and let Kewell start the game? Benitez is a bit of a necromancer though, I don't know what he did during the half time but Liverpool rose from the dead on the second half.

Baros didn't get much of an opportunity but that flick into Gerrard for what led to the penalty was sublime, and that's enough of a crucial contribution for me! I wouldn't go so far as to say Finnan was awful either, he was supposedly injured tho. Starting with Kewell was a mistake. Certainly a gamble that backfired. The difference was the introduction of Hamann. Only then did we see the Liverpool who'd seen off Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea come out to play. The non-existent midfield did the damage in the first half. Hyypiä, meanwhile, wasn't the best Laughing As much as I like him, they really do need someone faster.

Tommy BOO wrote:
Amazing. I wonder how many people turned off the telly after Milan's third goal went in... I know a few (one of them is a Liverpool fan!), and I can only feel sorry for them.

I don't see how any true fan can turn off when their team is playing in the European Cup final, no matter what the score. If the Liverpool team on Wednesday night were thinking it was over at half-time they'd never have came back. Worse still, was anyone who left the ground at half-time. Whatever happened to "you'll never walk alone"? Rolling Eyes

Tommy BOO wrote:
Nice Grobbelaar imitation by Dudek and good saves in the penalty shootout, but I can't believe that the referee didn't see that Dudek was very much off the goal line all the time.

I think Dudek did his own thing for most of the penalties, it was only when he really tried the wobbly legs, as opposed to looking like something out of a game of space invaders the rest of the time, did Milan actually score! He WAS off the line for Pirlo's penalty, but Nesta also handled the ball in his own box during the match when he was on the ground. None of the replays I saw on the night proved conclusive (most of them had the incident just off the screen but I saw a new angle on it last night in some review of the final, and it's quite obvious)

Tommy BOO wrote:
Does Liverpool have any other nicknames? "The Reds" is a bit boring, I never really thought about it before, but every team that plays in red (and there are lots of them!) is called the Reds! I think I'll call Barnsley "the Tykes" from now on, that sounds pretty good.

yeh, the full nickname is The Mighty Reds Wink
Barnsley wear white shorts though, as do Manchester United... and Arsenal... and Nottingham Forest... and Middlesborough... Liverpool are ALL red, which gives them more of a claim on the nickname than the team I was referring to at the start of my previous message.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 04:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, Middlesborough don't wear white shorts, that was an error, but they have a lot more white on their kit than Liverpool
http://www.teamtalk.com/Images/32203.jpg
and their nickname is Boro, anyway
Smile
John M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 03:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was incredible wasn't it, it made me realise what a hypocritical bastard I am. At half time I was sulking and slagging off everyone involved with the team ("Gerrard always goes missing in big games" etc.). But two hours later I loved everyone involved with the club. And everyone not involved with the club.

Fuck knows what Rafa said in that dressing room at half time, I thought we'd bring on a second striker to try to get an early goal, therefore leaving us open to let in 6 or 7. But no, playing Harry Kewell and letting in 3 goals was all just a way of allowing Milan to become complacent, then we pounced.

The TV coverage over here was great, they spent the last 5 minutes of the programme congratulating Harry Kewell for helping Liverpool to win the European Cup and saying how good it was for Australian football. I like Harry but I'm not sure that he was the rock on which our cup campaign was built.

Where do we go from here? I'd like Owen to come back but I reckon he'll stay in Madrid. Its odd because we could be a better team next year, finish runners up in the league but get knocked out of the Champions League early (if they let us in) and it will be seen as a let down. I don't care about next season yet though - we are the champions! champions of europe!
Dave w.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

my half time thought when i saw hamann warming up was that it was too late to be patching up the defence and that he was the worst player to bring on to chase 3 goals. Embarassed

next season will be great whatever happens. going to goodison, old trafford, highbury and stamford bridge as champions of europe. can't wait. Very Happy

fuck off chelsea fc
you ain't got no history
5 european cups and 18 leagues
now that's what we call history

hopefully rafa will able to get the players playing a bit more consistently next season, in which case a championship challenge (probably unsuccessful) is possible.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a neutral - and i was even given my soft spot for milan (whilst igonoring their cunt of a chairman) leanings - i wanted AC to win it 'cos the quality of their footie in the fist half and in extra time was both outstanding and beautiful. That said l'pools come back was astonishing and worthy of, heck, champions. I work with a scouse who went over to istanbul, haven't seen him since and i don't expect to see him again, if i'd been him i'd still be celebrating in ver ground!
John M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having won the European Cup must also make players want to come to us. Plus hopefully Morrientes will be fit at the start of next season and that will be like having a new signing.

As he's Spanish will Rafa be entitled to the knighthood that I believe its customary to recieve after winning one European Cup these days?

I wonder how Liverpool are viewed by fans in the rest of Europe, the two big European finals we've been involved in during the past few years have both been high scoring classics. I always think that peoples view of us must still be tainted by Heysel though
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

think there'll be plenty of italians who's view is tainted by heysel - can understand why 'cos if i was close to it i'd struggle to take a rational view - there's a great segment on it from Peter Hooton in the book Casuals, gist of his segment is that ultimately the authorities were responsible, if you go to a nightclub you accept - sadly but as a fact of life - yer could get glassed etc so the nightclub makes sure it only serves stuff in plastic glasses, searches people going in etc - if a footie ground knows what could happen it should be prepared to prevent it - heysel clearly wasn't.
John M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 05:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
As a neutral - and i was even given my soft spot for milan (whilst igonoring their cunt of a chairman) leanings - i wanted AC to win it 'cos the quality of their footie in the fist half and in extra time was both outstanding and beautiful.

I've always like Milan as well cos of that team with Van Basten and Gullitt in from the late 80's and early 90's. Some of their football in the first half was class and Shevchenko's movement, with and without the ball, was amazing to watch.

I think we were 'lucky' to get the 3 goals in such a short period of time, if we'd got the first two and then had to go chasing for a while for a 3rd then Milan would have changed things and tightened up a bit more. But they just looked a bit shell shocked for those 10 minutes. When we got the first two goals I was just pleased that we'd showed a bit of heart it wasn't going to end up being totally humiliating for us.

I think in the past I thought it would feel wrong to win the European Cup without having won the league first. But, you know what, it doesn't feel wrong at all, it feels 100% right.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
As he's Spanish will Rafa be entitled to the knighthood that I believe its customary to recieve after winning one European Cup these days?

i don't think his head's far enough up alistair campbell's arse. at least i hope not. Shocked
John M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 02:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave w. wrote:

i don't think his head's far enough up alistair campbell's arse.

Thats a deeply unpleasant image and I don't think I'm going to be able to get it out of my head for the rest of the day.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry. Sad it wasn't meant to taken literally.

ferguson was going to get his eventually for his support of new labour and that unforgettable night in barcelona (will clive tyldesley spend the next 6+ years making endless references to that unforgettable night in istanbul?) was just a good excuse.

having said that wenger and houllier got obe's for their achievements in 2001. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 02:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
It was incredible wasn't it, it made me realise what a hypocritical bastard I am. At half time I was sulking and slagging off everyone involved with the team ("Gerrard always goes missing in big games" etc.). But two hours later I loved everyone involved with the club. And everyone not involved with the club.

I didn't get a chance to moan, I was too busy defending them against accusations of being "2nd rate" - something I wouldn't say about any one in the Champions League final.

John M wrote:
Fuck knows what Rafa said in that dressing room at half time, I thought we'd bring on a second striker to try to get an early goal, therefore leaving us open to let in 6 or 7. But no, playing Harry Kewell and letting in 3 goals was all just a way of allowing Milan to become complacent, then we pounced.

from 3-0 down, to win... I'd have taken that over 1-0, anyday. Wink
they never do things the easy way, though, do they, though

John M wrote:
The TV coverage over here was great, they spent the last 5 minutes of the programme congratulating Harry Kewell for helping Liverpool to win the European Cup and saying how good it was for Australian football. I like Harry but I'm not sure that he was the rock on which our cup campaign was built.

I forget where I saw it, but Liverpool are apparently called 'Dudek-Liverpool' in Poland, and Tommy was clearly rooting for his man, in Sami! (I was only making fun of you, Tommy, don't take it seriously!)
Irish TV wasn't harping on about Finnan tho, but the only Liverpool connected pundits or commentators they ever have are the ones who aren't all that pro-Liverpool (i.e. Lawrenson, Beglin, Toshack, Houghton) - it's usually hosted by a Corkman (Roy Keane fan), with an ex-Man Utd player (John Giles) and Roy Keane's biographer (Eamon Dunphy) on the panel, with George Hamilton (self-confessed Man Utd fan) doing the commentary. No one player, or nationality won it or lost it, although I suspect many Liverpool fans won't look back too kindly on Harry Kewell's contribution

John M wrote:
Where do we go from here? I'd like Owen to come back but I reckon he'll stay in Madrid. Its odd because we could be a better team next year, finish runners up in the league but get knocked out of the Champions League early (if they let us in) and it will be seen as a let down. I don't care about next season yet though - we are the champions! champions of europe!

I'm not expecting miracles in the Premiership next season, it looks like major upheaval with the squad, again, and the new look team cound consist of a load more players who'll need time to adjust to the Premiership. if Rafa is more knowledgeable about the Premiership now, after a full season, I'll be a bit surprised if there's a massive improvement, as the last few games didn't exactly show us that he's learned all that much. although I reckon a lot of the players had their minds on the CL anyway

- dRd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2