bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - poor losers, poor spellers, poor chelsea
poor losers, poor spellers, poor chelsea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avi cohen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:25    Post subject: poor losers, poor spellers, poor chelsea Reply with quote

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/features/expert_opinion/FX8269050602-1340.htm
John M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 03:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who are they trying to kid in England about the standard of Football? Those Liverpool greats must be turning in their graves to see such a useless, lifeless performance. Sorry Bill, sorry Emlyn, sorry Tommy. Gerrard you can't even think of walking in their shadows. Harry go back to your Roos son, you are out of your class," - email to the Guardian website at half time.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/matchreport/0,9752,1492011,00.html

To be fair I was saying similar things so am in no position to criticise anyone.

Dave and Adam - did the Liverpool fans carry on singing when we were 3-0 down or was it a bit quiet in the stadium?
Dave w.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the third goal was just before half time, and it was very quiet for a bit; people with head in hands, very depressing.

some people were singing "we're gonna win 4-3", which seemed a bit stupid and unrealistic. then someone started ynwa and everyone joined it, which was quite impressive. i read luis garcia say that the players had heard that at half time and made them determined to do better in the second half.

i can't remember if there was much singing at the start of the second half before the first goal. i'll have to watch the video again. Wink

i don't know whether i'm alone in still being somewhat uncomfortable about gerrard. he did nothing in the first half, and to read some papers you'd think he single handedly turned things around in the second half. obviously he played well, and was responsible for 2 goals, but what about hamann, carragher, dudek, smicer, whose involvement was similarly critical?

an interview on itv before the final had gerrard saying that the result would have a major impact on his decision of whether to stay. if we don't challenge for the league next season, how long will it be before his head is turned again?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 01:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit tired of hearing that it was Gerrard and Carragher who saved the day. nothing to do with the fact that they're English, of course.

they went on like Gerrard was the only one who contributed after the Olympiakos game coz he scored the last of the 3 goals, then the situation is reversed against AC Milan, and all of a sudden it's Gerrard who "got things going" ...barely a mention of Alonso "saving the day" or Smicer, just like Pongolle and Mellor were pushed into the background after the Olympiakos match

Carragher deserves all the praise he gets though, to be fair to him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 01:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

disco' forgot to sign that one, sorry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 02:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and, I meant to have a look at some United sites to see what their fans were saying, although I'd rather not look at them, on principle Razz

I did see some people purporting to be Utd fans and congratulating Liverpool, tho. Actually, I can't say I've ever seen so many fans from other teams heap so much praise on another team. Memorable stuff.

damn, I can't look at any AC Milan sites, coz I can't speak Italian! wonder if Set is still celebrating, I've not seen her on here since the final Wink
John M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 09:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave w. wrote:

i don't know whether i'm alone in still being somewhat uncomfortable about gerrard. he did nothing in the first half, and to read some papers you'd think he single handedly turned things around in the second half. obviously he played well, and was responsible for 2 goals, but what about hamann, carragher, dudek, smicer, whose involvement was similarly critical?

i think hamman has to take an awful lot of the credit, he does so much of the dull tidying up work that allows the others to play. I've not always been his biggest fan of late but he was great in the second half when he could have come on sulking cos he didn't start the game. Its like Gilberto at Arsenal, you only realise how vital he is when he's not there.

Everyone did they're bit though, especially in extra time. the best bit was when Carragher went down with cramp after blocking a cross, got back up and had to do exactly the same thing again straight away. He's an utter hero, I bet Real Madrid wished they'd got him for 5 million last summer instead of paying all that cash for Woodgate.

Obviously Gerrard is a superb player and was great in the second half of the game but he needs to sort himself out and either commit himself to the club totally or say thank you and goodbye. If Shevchenko had scored that chance in the last minute (even now I still can't believe he didn't) we wouldn't have won and would Stevie G have left then? The other players must get pissed off with it as well. Its all very well being 'The Man' when things are going well but the likelihood is that we'll have half a new team next season and they'll need time to gel. i hope we don't get to Xmas with us in indifferent form and yet more rumours in the papers about him loving the club but wanting to see progress etc.

And a quick mention for Smicer as well. No-one has been more critical than me of Paddy Bergers mate but Vlad, if you're reading this - because of that second half performance all is forgiven, better late than never. I wish you well at your new club and I will gladly buy you a beer the next time i see you in the bars of the Czech Republic.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always liked smicer, and have been waiting 6 years for him to come good. he seems like a decent bloke as well. the badge-kissing (normally the most hollow gesture going) after his penalty was a nice touch, considering he knew he was leaving.

it'll be really sad in a way if half that team leaves, but they've done themselves no favours in the league.
John M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 06:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a parcel from back home today with all the papers in from the day after the final. There's an interview in one of them with Smicer saying how much he loves the city of Liverpool and that his two kids were both born there so it will be hard to leave. I feel quite guilty now. Sad

The homecoming parade looked amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1