bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Scouse Bands
Scouse Bands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:15    Post subject: Scouse Bands Reply with quote

Someone slagging the White Stripes said Dead 60's were one of the best scouse bands, and followed it with a list. I know this is preaching to the converted a little, but are scouse bands the best in the country. The Coral are blatantly the best young band at the moment, the Zutons are really fucking cool as well, The longcut have a lot of promise (I know their from Longsight but their on deltasonic so it sort of counts). Shack are the best 90's guitar band by a long way and are gonna be remembered for a long time. The LA's released the best guitar pop album of the 90's at the start of them and are fucking legendary. The Boos need no comment but like all the above just ruled whatever they touched. And even the 80's you had teardrop explodes (I guess the bunnymen as well but ive never got why their good) and probably loads of others i dont know about. Scouse bands just have more fun, are more adventurous, seem to have more ideas, dont seem to be all po faced and bullshitty, they dont seem to be pretentious like london bands, or swagger with agro like manc band (twisted nerve and i am kloot excepting). Its like the Beta Band should have been scouse, the Flaming lips could be counted as an honourary scouse band.
Even the 25th of May were ace (although Ive not heard their album since i was about 11, but i remember thinking it was well cool).
The Beatles were alright as well.

Im working on some sort of theory on all this, to kill time at work.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm a west country lad so i've no leaning to any musical city battle but i'd say i'm more swayed to Manchester than Liverpool in taste terms. Though combine them both into an uber north west musical super power and nowhere would come close...

boos - yep we knoze it!

la's - love it love it love it.

shack - adhore them, first album does have a bit too much of Broudie production stamped all over it but the tunes are ace, Waterpistol is faultless as is the last one. HMS Fable is eratic and overrated - half it is outstanding and half it (again!) suffers from the influence of its producer (this time John Lekkie?)

Teardrops / Julian cope - Agree, yer can't ever hear the trumpet parps to reward and not wanna dance

Bunnymen - Even as a wee kid "The Cutter" knocked me out, sounding like nowt i'd heard before as a 10 year old and became one of me first 7"s

Pete Wylie and every guise of Wah! - Always chokes me that he's more ignored than many of the others mentioned here. Just love his ambition, you know stuff like Story of The Blues would've been an ace 50s track for someone like Sinatra and his orchestral budget, the fact that Wylie couldn't do it that way but still put out such a stong song... He's a songwriting romantic. A musical dreamer. Repsect.

Longcut - Fab debut ep - reminds me of Verve at the intense best with a heap of Wah! "You Better Scream" era thrown in. Can't wait for the new single. (out next week?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1