bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Mystic John Predicts
Mystic John Predicts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 08:42    Post subject: Mystic John Predicts Reply with quote

If Kenneth Clark is elected leader of the Tory party he'll beat Gordon Brown in the next election. All his policies will be almost the same as Labour and no-one will notice the difference.
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit tragic to reply to your own posts but I'm gonna do it anyway, i've just read a book called 'Who Runs This Place' about who has power in Britain these days and the answer seems to be Tony Blair, Investment Banks, a few big corporations and very few other people. The author does make in interesting point that Trade Unions might make a comeback in the next few years and could offer a check to the increasing power number 10. I can't see it happening though.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
Its a bit tragic to reply to your own posts but I'm gonna do it anyway

don't worry john, i do that regularly. Crying or Very sad
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its either reply to my own posts or spend more time searching through job search websites and this is much more fun. Has anyone heard of a tune called 'No Sell Out' by a group called Malcolm X? Its great, its on some random hip hop compilation i found at the library yesterday.

Back to the job search website i go...unless i won the lottery tonight, i'll check my number now...2 numbers, thats no good.
Dave w.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 23:01    Post subject: Re: Mystic John Predicts Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
If Kenneth Clark is elected leader of the Tory party he'll beat Gordon Brown in the next election. All his policies will be almost the same as Labour and no-one will notice the difference.

that's depressing, but quite possibly true. won't people notice his involvement with british american tobacco ?
John Mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 23:17    Post subject: Re: Mystic John Predicts Reply with quote

Dave w. wrote:
John Mc wrote:

that's depressing, but quite possibly true. won't people notice his involvement with british american tobacco ?

i don't think people are all that bothered about his dodgy connections or even his political views to any great extent, he's more charismatic than any of the previous 4 leaders the Tories have had in as much as he comes across as being vaguely human. I think people will get bored of Labour once Blair has gone, the Sun will switch back to the Tories, they'll offer some tax cuts, put out a poster making Gordon Brown look evil and probably get in.

I think that if Blair had realised what a mess the opposition were going to be in for the next 10 years things could have been different. The whole of the Labour first term was dedicated to getting a second term and that involved basically being a cuddlier version of the Tory party and showing that they could be trusted to run the economy. I wonder if he now looks back and thinks he should have raised taxes then and genuniely tried to change things?
Dave w.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

john major won an election, because people were terrified of tax rises. i suspect that if blair had been brave enough to openly put tax up to make big changes some other tory nonentity would have had a decent chance of winning one of the elections since 97.

i suspect you're right about clark being more electable because of his character rather than his policies or connections. style over content. although it's been a while since a tory leader had either.
gillworm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him on the radio today and found myself wishing that he wasn't a Tory. he has such energy and drive and I like the forward looking language he uses. it would be great to have someone in opposition that made the government sit up and pay attention for a change, someone to challenge them and make them justify what they do instead of waffling at us. imagine Prime Minister's question time with Clarke in oppostition.

the tobacco connection is mentioned in just about every report I've read so if he wins he'll definitely have to drop that one.

this could for once be an interesting Leadership competition!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic John retracts his prediction. I thought Clark looked and sounded a bit old at the conference and his detractors can always tie him into the Thatcher and Major years. Cameron is too posh to be elected, Davis is too dull and Dr Fox is too wrapped up in trying to get schools to fly the Union Flag to run a proper campaign.

New Labour will govern us forever and no-one will ever stop them. We need a New Wave of New Labour with skinny ties and angular guitars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1