bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - A Hypothesis
A Hypothesis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 23:28    Post subject: A Hypothesis Reply with quote

"2005 has been the best year for music in ages " - me, just now.

Discuss this statement using using examples and diagrams where necessary.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full agreement.

Best live scence for UK bands since 93/94 and we know what that led to.

Examples:

Longcut - If yer haven't read me posting they are extraorinary. Wah/Verve/Peter Hook combined. Oh yes. Best new UK band of the millenia.

Editors - Right tunes so good that even a bowl of corn flakes could dig 'em, played live to 50 of us like there were 5000 there and have grown with the venues and audience. Nearly best new UK band...

Dead 60s - The dub album is much better than the proper album but its still a decent stab at sort of 2 tone and "The Last Resort" is the song Weller couldn't even dream of writing these days.

Bloc Party - Erratic but when they are good they are very very special and they were much much better live this time around.

And bubblin' under but very good and promising much are Polytechnic, Kubichek, White Rose Movement, and the Rakes.

Add to the fact there's bands with decent debuts like Lisa Brown, Redcarsgofaster, the Ending Of... and the Whip then next year promises to keep the momentum going.

Still a decent flow of new USA bands too (Moving Units, Cloud Room, We Are Scientists).

And from Sweden the lovely Shout Out Louds.

Then there's been top albums from established acts like My Morning Jacket, M83, the Furries, Boards of Canada, Sufjan Stevens, the BC singles...

Great gigs too by pretty nearly all of the above and

Yep! I'm in total agreement.
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doves QOTSA Juan Maclean LCD Soundystem The Singles Club Zabrinski British Sea Power Antony & The Johnsons Broken Social Scene Arcade Fire The Go! Team etc etc etc

I'm bloody skint, but it's been a great year for music Very Happy

xxx
sparky
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen three of the best gigs I've ever seen this year, and was recently thinking what a good year it had been for music (gigs were LCD Soundystem, Soulwax doing Nite Versions and Gorillaz last week).

Add to that the new Akira The Don stuff (new single and remixes of Liverpool are great) and Eyeless In Canton and it's been good in terms of recordings too.

I also heard an incredible piece of music last night called Donkey Island, which is from the new Euros Childs album. Almost made me fall off my seat.
chuddy_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

I also heard an incredible piece of music last night called Donkey Island, which is from the new Euros Childs album. Almost made me fall off my seat.

yeah I really like that too

Bethan and Hew recently played both Donkey Island and the b side ( something to do with Mynci's) which is also ace

great quirky pop stuff
Melz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The continuing adventures of bravecaptain via the singles club has made this year exciting musically. And of course the return of Sice with his Paperlung posse.

This year has also been pretty good because The Dawn Parade split up and reformed as The Visions, who are now one of my hot tips for greatness in 2006. http://www.thevisions.co.uk
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good and valid points, just need a few more diagrams to sort things out I reckon. As well as the stuff mentioned above there's been loads of good proper getting-into-the-top-10-and-on-MTV-all-the-time-songs like that Black Eyed Peas one I was obsessed with and "Gold Digger" and that Sugababes one and the two Gorillaz singles and "Suddenly I See" and the last Roll Deep one - but not "Heartbreak Avenue" by Roll Deep, that was rubbish.

sparky wrote:
I have seen three of the best gigs I've ever seen this year, and was recently thinking what a good year it had been for music (gigs were LCD Soundystem, Soulwax doing Nite Versions and Gorillaz last week).

I went to the Gorillaz concert as well, feared it might be pretentious and awful but it was pretentious and great, the only disappointment was that De La Soul weren't there. Also having a Daffy Duck cartoon as a support band is better than a bunch of indie kid you've never heard of playing songs you don't want to hear.

I'm also going to see LCD Soundsystem next month, where ever Sparky has been I'm always one step behind.

In summary:

John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mind State" by Pete Philly & Perquisite is a late contender for album of the year I reckon (late for me, it came out in April but I've only just bought it).

Anyone heard the GZA/DJ Muggs album, I want it to be great but the solo DJ Muggs album was a bit wishy washy so i'm not too hopeful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1