bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Safe As Film
Safe As Film
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discoRdance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 22:36    Post subject: all awards are bollocks....................................* Reply with quote

THE DUBLINER WHO CREATED OSCAR

As the stars walk away with their Oscars in Hollywood tomorrow night we should remember the Irishman who made it all happen.
Dubliner Cedric Gibbons helped to set up the Academy of Motion Pictures, which presents the awards, and designed one of the great icons of the modern age, the Oscar statuette itself.
The flamboyant Dublin-born art director, who had emigrated to New York with his family as a child, was himself one of the most prolific Oscar winners in history, bagging 11 Academy awards for art direction as well as an honorary Oscar.
Gibbons designed the famous statuette depicting a knight holding a crusader's sword on a tablecloth at a movie industry banquet in 1928. His drawings were passed on to the sculptor George Stanley who produced the original statue for $500.
The Gibbons design was initially dubbed the 'Iron man', but, according to Hollywood lore, it got its more familiar nickname after the Academy's librarian Margaret Herrick saw it and exclaimed: "It looks just like my uncle Oscar!"
Each Oscar statuette is made from the alloy, britannium. It is plated in copper, nickel silver, and 24-carat gold.
With 1,000 films credited to his name, Gibbons is commonly regarded as the most important and influential art director in cinema history.
His 'art deco' designs created the exotic and luxurious look of Hollywood's heyday. He believed that cinemagoers would be reluctant to pay to see the harsh realism of everyday life played back to them on the screen, and preferred escapist fantasy.
Although Gibbons won 11 competitive Oscars, his most famous work, 'The Wizard Of Oz', went unrewarded in 1939. 'Gone With The Wind' won the Oscar for art direction during that year.
As well as creating the Hollywood look, his sets also influenced interior design. Having been dazzled by his designs on screen, cinemagoers tried to recreate them at home.
Gibbons died in 1960 in Los Angeles four years after his retirement. His achievements have been all but forgotten in the city of his birth.

- from yesterday's Irish Independent newspaper
gillworm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syriana, bit of a headf*ck. about halfway through I wondered whether I'd ever understand what was going on. but I got there in the end!

did I mention the torture scene? boy did I want a nice fat cushion to hide behind just then!

good film, buy tickets for consecutive screenings so that you'll understand it!

and George, even plump I would.
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that Gill.... the torture was the one thing that I didn't understand, namely, why was he tortured, and who was this, "Jim" fella doing the torturing?

Very much worth watching - I'd be inclined to recommend the DVD so you can watch scenes several times!

Kinks
xxx
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding was that he (George) had been given the job of setting up the assassination and this Jim bloke was someone he'd worked with before. but Jim has been turned and works for the other side and he was torturing George to find out who else he was working with in whichever country they were in at that point.
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you culture vultures seen this?

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/specialy/ceskysen/en/

Saw it last night and can't make my mind up whether its a top art prank or a bunch of knobheads wasting everybody's time.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

how come there's always a bad guy called tommy in all gangster films?

Exclamation
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 09:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:

Exclamation

Because all Toms/Tommys/Thomas's are fundamentally evil and so people associate them with doing nasty things. See: Tom Jones (evil crooner), Thomas The Tank Engine (evil Tank Engine), Tom Tom (evil satellite navigation system for cars)

Obviously you're the exception which proves the rule Tommy B.
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
Tommy BOO wrote:

Exclamation

Because all Toms/Tommys/Thomas's are fundamentally evil and so people associate them with doing nasty things. See: Tom Jones (evil crooner), Thomas The Tank Engine (evil Tank Engine), Tom Tom (evil satellite navigation system for cars)

Obviously you're the exception which proves the rule Tommy B.

Maybe it goes back to doubting thomas in the bible..but I think he turned out alright in the end. Tommy, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt too...ha ha
joeloke22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:

Exclamation

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

John Mc

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Da Vinci Code - like Tom Hanks hair it was unnecessarily long. I've never seen a cinema so crowded though so the hype has obviously worked. It didn't make me question the foundations of the catholic church but it did make me want to live in Paris and marry a French cryptographer woman.

If there's any french cryptographer women who like the Boo Radleys and appreciate the midfield genius of Steve McMahon reading this thread then feel free to PM me.
Bev

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 08:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it last night - Christ, it makes the book seem good....
gillworm

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
It didn't make me question the foundations of the catholic church but it did make me want to live in Paris and marry a French cryptographer woman.

If there's any french cryptographer women who like the Boo Radleys and appreciate the midfield genius of Steve McMahon reading this thread then feel free to PM me.

perhaps there should be a Da Vinci Code Myspace page where you could meet likely ladies? when I changed my pic on there recently I had a brief burst of fan mail from other Myspace people who admired my body despite the fact that it wasn't visible in the photo!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars! It's ace! The critics didn't love it but I did.
chuddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Scanner Darkly

Dissapointing.

Although the acting is very good and it looks interesting, the film isn't very enjoyable at all. Partly because it is really miserable, but mainly because it feels empty.

5/10
chuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 09:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah

I liked Renaissance much more.

The black and whte animation effect thingy they use is far more successful than Scanner Darkly's, which while being cool gave me a headache.

Looks a bit like Sin City set in a future Paris but better. Bladerunner with a bit of Akira thrown in , but not as good.

It has an ace futuristic car chase along the Sein aswell.

7/9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10